Server Changes

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
In the next day or 2, I will be moving the site to a new server.

UPDATE: Move Complete

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an explanation of what will happen:

The content will be hosted on 2 seperate servers and the DNS will be changed to point towards the new server. This is a change that has to individually go out to all your internet service providers (ISP). The amount of time it takes for this to occur depends on your ISP, so it will be different for everyone.

I will have to close the forums on the old server. The reason for this is because anything you might post or change on the old server would be lost after the move is complete. So, if you visit the site tomorrow or Saturday and the forums are closed, your ISP hasn't updated yet. Give them some time and try again later. Once you see an active forum, you'll know you're looking at the right place.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The move is complete. If you're reading this, you're on the new server. :banana:

I can guarantee that there are a few little details that I haven't quite got worked out yet. If you notice something not working, let me know (in case I missed it).

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
You must be one of the unlucky ones then. I noticed that there were some places that were going to take a day to find us again.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Cool.

There's actually a way to workaround the ISP to get a site to come up (which I had to do until my ISP updated, ~4-5 hours). So, I cheated.

Barada

Saboteur
For me, I had to access the forums by clicking my PM link.

Probably not what Borsk means, but it's one method that did it for me.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
There's a file you can edit and tell it to look for a certain ip address when a domain name is entered. It's also a nice way to prank somebody. :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Barada said:
Sounds like fun. Care to elaborate? ;)

Barada
Well, it's different for different computers, but if you're running a WindowsXP machine, you look for the "hosts" file (generally located here: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc). Open it with a basic text editor (notepad) and add a line with an ip address and a domain name. So, if you put in 1.1.1.1 www.thebothanspy.com, whenever you type "www.thebothanspy.com" in your browser, it will take you to that ip address.

EDIT: Always a good idea to make a copy of a file before you edit it.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
That can REALLY screw with someone's head - lol.

Of course it doesn't really work if you play the prank on yourself (unless you have a REALLY dreadful memory!) and playing it on someone else's machine is just plain naughty ;)