Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Hobbit?

Lenny Fett

New Recruit
Yeah, Peter Jackson bought the permission to make it into a film so noone else could nick the LOTR franchise from him. It would be cool to see it done.

Nightwing

New Recruit
I hope he doesn't make it for the simple fact that he bought the oscars: The academy awards should be given for one film, not THREE :mad:

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
If it was given for three the awards would have been spread out and he probably would have ended up winning more awards... Given that it wasn't fair to this years movies, but if the selection was bad enough for Penn to pick one up then the competition deserved to be blown out of the water...

Dark Jedi

Banned
I've been hearing rumors about The Hobbit being made into a movie fro a while, but this is the first time I've seen an article about it.

Barada

Saboteur
Originally posted by Nightwing
I hope he doesn't make it for the simple fact that he bought the oscars: The academy awards should be given for one film, not THREE :mad:

Does that mean that none of the SW movies should have ever been nominated for any awards after ANH? They are, after all, one long continous movie split into separate films, just like LOTR.

The fact is, it was released as a separate entity, and had to be treated as such. It's not like FOTR and TTT swept the awards the last two years.

As for The Hobbit, it was my understanding that Tolkein's family owned the rights to it, and were refusing to allow it to be made into a movie, irregardless of the success and acclaim of LOTR.

Barada

Nightwing

New Recruit
Originally posted by Zepp
If it was given for three the awards would have been spread out and he probably would have ended up winning more awards...
They had the chance to give Jackson the director's award last year instead of giving it to Chicago
but if the selection was bad enough for Penn to pick one up then the competition deserved to be blown out of the water...
you obviously haven't see Mystic river(or don't appreciate it...)

Nightwing

New Recruit
Originally posted by Barada
Does that mean that none of the SW movies should have ever been nominated for any awards after ANH? They are, after all, one long continous movie split into separate films, just like LOTR.
The difference is, LOTR was made at the same time, while Star wars had the 3-year gap

The fact is, it was released as a separate entity, and had to be treated as such. It's not like FOTR and TTT swept the awards the last two years.
EXACTLY! don't you think it's strange that the FOTR won 4 awards, TT won 2, and then ROTK won every category that it was nominated in- 11?!

Nightwing

New Recruit
the solution would have to been to give a special award in recognition of all three films. They gave one for the achievement that Toy Story did, this is no different

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I don't think ROTK is the best movie of the three. But, crazy hollywood politics worked in favor of a series of movies I like - I don't have a problem with that.

Nightwing, in your opinion, which movie and director should have won this year?

-----

The Hobbit should be good as long as they don't involve Leonard Nimoy.

Barada

Saboteur
Were Back to the Future II & III nominated for any awards? If III was (as in f/x), then the same argument with LOTR applies there too.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Back to the Future II was nominated for best visual effects. Nothing for BTTF III.

Barada

Saboteur
Does it really matter anyway? The Academy's are a farce, as are the Grammy's for that matter. I no longer care what the establishment thinks about movies released in any given year. Box office is what keeps certain genres alive or kills them, not Oscar recognition. Chicago won so many awards last year, and I was barely able to sit through it. On the flip side, I loved the Planet of the Apes remake, and of course Clones, but both were destroyed by critics. Bottom line is that I don't need that pompous affair to tell me what movies were good or bad in my eyes.

Btw, maybe BTTF III was a bad example, but thanks with the quick response Borsk.

Barada

Nightwing

New Recruit
Originally posted by Borsk
Nightwing, in your opinion, which movie and director should have won this year?
Clint and Mystic River followed by Lost in Translation.

Then again, I have not seen Cold Mountain or Master and Commander, but I do know that Mystic River is a powerful and brilliant film.

This reminds me of TITanic and L.A. Confidential
The Hobbit should be good as long as they don't involve Leonard Nimoy.
:p

Barada

Saboteur
I saw Lost in Translation the other night.

While it was okay, it was far from great. In fact, boring might be a better term. The pace was monotonous, and it left you hanging at the end.

Haven't seen the others, but artsy movies just tend to annoy me. When I watch a movie, I want entertainment. If I want to think about what I'm watching, I'll turn on Discovery Channel.

Barada

Barada

Saboteur
A good actor does not necessarily translate into a good movie.

Dustin Hoffman is a terrific actor, but you think Ishtar is a good movie?

Many people believe John Travolta can be a great actor. Did that save Battlefield Earth?

I rest my case...

Barada