Forum Upgrade

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The forum will be undergoing an upgrade over the next day or so. The bulk of the upgrade has already occurred. If you notice anything unusual (broken, missing, etc), please let me know.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Note: I'm already aware of some issues (such as the avatar thing, etc). In these cases, I just haven't had time to address the issue yet.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
A quick update:

There is a new chat room and arcade on the way.

It will be a few days before I can get around to adding these things though.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Chat room is up (although I'm still working on customizing it). You can get there by clicking here. It uses Flash, so it would be a good idea to have the most recent version of the Flash viewer for your browser. The new chat room isn't based on IRC or anything like that, so anyone that had problems with the old room, should be alright with this one.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Borsk said:
Chat room is up (although I'm still working on customizing it). You can get there by clicking here. It uses Flash, so it would be a good idea to have the most recent version of the Flash viewer for your browser. The new chat room isn't based on IRC or anything like that, so anyone that had problems with the old room, should be alright with this one.
:worship: :rock: :worship:
The chatroom works for me!!!
:balloons: Hooray!:balloons:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I'm not sure if it's a problem with the upgrade or not, but I just posted a new message in the "Espionage Report" section ("Lucas give $1mil to King memorial"), but when I tried to get back in to add an "s" to "give" the Edit button wouldn't do anything. The Edit button doesn't seem to work in any other topic area either. :(

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
it allowed me to edit it, but i don't think you can completely change the subject line (which you could not do before either). it's probably a special feature not available to ewoks at the moment :baby:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It's weird. Pointing at it displays the link at the bottom, but clicking on the "Edit" button does absolutely nothing. But I have discovered I can edit messages by opening the link in a new window.

The "Quote" button appears to work fine. The "Quick Reply" button has never worked for me anyway.

:confused:

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Buzz Bumble said:
It's weird. Pointing at it displays the link at the bottom, but clicking on the "Edit" button does absolutely nothing. But I have discovered I can edit messages by opening the link in a new window.

The "Quote" button appears to work fine. The "Quick Reply" button has never worked for me anyway.

:confused:
What browser and operating system do you use? I am aware of certain things not working for macs using IE. I think it's been 4 or 5 years since Microsoft updated their browser for mac.

If you happen to be using IE, I would suggest trying Firefox, Safari, Netscape or Mozilla. Firefox or Safari would be your best bet (however I believe you need OS X for those).

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
As far as modifying the title, it should let you edit it. However, it appears to only edit the title that is displayed in the thread itself - not in the forum.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I did think that the old browser (Explorer 5.1) might be the problem after I logged off last night because I vaguely remember reading something about being able to edit on the same page without going to the old "Edit / Post" style page.

Microsoft basically threw a hissy fit over Apple making Safari and including it by default in Mac OS X (i.e. doing exactly what Microsoft has been doing for years with Explorer in Windows!), so there hasn't been a new version of Explorer for the Mac. Since I don't use Mac OS X there is nothing newer I can use until I upgrade ... at some stage. Of course with Microsoft always trying to set their own "standards" you pretty much have to use Explorer on some websites.

It's not a huge problem, especially since I now know the workaround of opening the link in a separate window. I just originally thought it might have been a problem with the upgrade that you'd missed.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I *think* you can use netscape or mozilla on the older mac os. And I believe those browsers would be better than the mac version of IE. I rarely use Macs, so I can't be completely sure, but it's worth a shot.

VB, the people that make the forum software, do not support IE on Mac for this latest release (apparently).

Another thought I had: If you take a look in your user cp in the forum, you have an option in there for different ways to edit posts. I wonder if you switch from the WYSIWYG editor to the older method if you'd have the same problem. It's under "edit options" and you have a choice of: enhanced (wysiwyg), the standard or basic editors.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I have got Netscape Navigator 7 installed, but it's {beep} {beep} {beep} AWFUL. It's buggy, it's slow, it looks disgusting and it won't ever set-up properly (I have to create a new user every time I run it) ... it's even worse than Explorer, which is saying something since that crashes very often. The only reason I've still got it is for one particular website that refuses to work in Explorer and for testing a couple of websites I work on for other people.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
wookiee_cookiee said:
I switched to the simplest editor (text box) option and I can edit my posts now. :) Thanks for the info.
Sweet. It sucks that you don't get to use the cool, new stuff. But it works, so that's something.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I've tried changing the Editing Options, but it's still the same - the "Edit" button simply does absolutely nothing when clicked on. The march of technology pulls away from me one more step. ;)

I'll just have to make do with opening the Edit link in a new window - that works fine. It's how I usually read forums anyway: open up the main index, then open a new window for a section / topic to read (possibly opening another window for the topic if there's multiple ones I want to read in the section), then when I'm finished reading or replying to that one I can simply close the window and see the index without s-l-o-w dial-up reloading. It also means I can open two or three different topics at once and start reading one while another is still loading. :)