Exclusives 101

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Since I am a fan of the new Sideshow Line and not a fan of companies that mishandle exclusives and screw over their loyal customers ... I would like to take this opportunity to cover both.

4448b686115c68.jpg
Sideshow Collectibles will be offering an exclusive 12" Darth Maul figure.

Now with some other companies, that might mean that you have to show up at their site at a specific time to order your exclusive item. Not only that, you will have less than one minute to place your order, including the entire checkout process. If there happens to be a problem with the site (no fault of your own) that prevents you from completing your transaction, they will send you an email and tell you that they're sorry but tuff sh**.

That sounds appealing, right? Well, if that's what you like, then don't bother with Sideshow's exclusives. Earlier when I mentioned "Exclusive", what I meant to say was "Inclusive".

Everyone over at Sideshow can stop reading now. You obviously get it. This is the part where the other companies out there that want to offer exclusives and not totally alienate their consumer base, should pay special attention.

What does Inclusive mean? Let's take Sideshow's current Inclusive as an example.

The Darth Maul - Inclusive Edition - 12-inch Figure will pre-order from Thursday, June 15th at 6pm (PST) through Monday, June 19th at 6pm (PST). To place your order for the Inclusive Edition of Darth Maul, simply visit the frontpage of SideshowCollectibles.com and click on the large banner in the center of the page.

Wow! That's sounds really easy, but what does it really mean?

Do I have to be a part of some kind of special "Collector's Club" to get in on it? Nope.

Does that mean that if I don't order it within the first minute of the time window, that I won't be able to get one (except of course on eBay with a 10x mark up)? Nope.

What it means is that collectors have a time-specific window in which they can place a preorder for an item with the absolute guarantee that one will be reserved for them. Collectors cannot be pushed out by an item's limited edition size during this phase since the edition size has not yet been determined.

After the window has closed Sideshow will then decide what edition size to set based on the number of preorders made. Instead of having a few minutes to order your item, you get several days and everyone who orders in that window is guaranteed to get one.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Inclusive Edition - THATS how it should be done! Keep the collectors happy and the scalpers don't get a look in. The manufacturer benefits too by knowing up front how many of a given item are likely to sell - no under or over producing. Gotta be good for everyone.

There's no price listed on the Maul so far, but thats fine too - there's a date range given (June 15-19) for pre-ordering, so we know that all info on the figure will likely be published on the 15th. Fantastic - YOU ROCK Sideshow!