Rate & Review ROTS!

How Would You Rate RotS?

• Total voters

Nightwing

New Recruit
I would've liked to have seen more detail in the transformation of vader from man to machine. It went too quickly IMO

Like the death sticks were drugs, Grievous' coughing was smoking

Loved yoda taking down the royal guards

Many of the action figures don't appear in the film, maybe they do in the digital version?

I also think that they missed a great opportunity to cameo Liam Neeson. In fact the film would be better of without that line because it feels so empty not featuring the spiritual image of Obi-wan's master

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Nightwing said:
Many of the action figures don't appear in the film, maybe they do in the digital version?
I think just a couple are not in there. The rest have been reduced to blink and you miss them roles.

Yoda Man

New Recruit
About trying to arrest Palpatine, it would have been cooler to make the fighting last longer, but it really showed us how powerful Palpatine was.

I do feel a bit weird about R2 because in the OT, all the things he does in ROTS he doesn't do. There were plenty of occasions when R2 should have used his flying power.

I would have also liked to see Luminara on Kashyyk doing something. We see her for a glimpse, but we don't see her fight or get killed. And when Aayla died, I at least thought we would see her draw her lightsaber.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Jedi_Joel said:
Grievous was simply a plot device that would pull Obi-Wan away from Anakin, which in turn creates more strife between Anakin and the council and allows Palpatine to approach Anakin about the darkside without any hinderance.
i'm just saying that if they kept dooku around, they could have used him for that

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Yoda Man said:
About trying to arrest Palpatine, it would have been cooler to make the fighting last longer, but it really showed us how powerful Palpatine was.

I do feel a bit weird about R2 because in the OT, all the things he does in ROTS he doesn't do. There were plenty of occasions when R2 should have used his flying power.

I would have also liked to see Luminara on Kashyyk doing something. We see her for a glimpse, but we don't see her fight or get killed. And when Aayla died, I at least thought we would see her draw her lightsaber.

i didn't really think it made palpatine look that great, to me it just made the jedi look weak..

aayla's death was the worst of the bunch. i would have expected the deaths to be more in the lines of ki-adi's. i never really much cared for the cone-head jedi but i did think he had a good death scene.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
AmShak said:
i'm just saying that if they kept dooku around, they could have used him for that
Would they have sent *only* Obi-Wan to fight Dooku though? Obi-Wan doesn't have such a hot track record versus Dooku.

Yoda Man

New Recruit
Did anyone else notice all the transitions compared to the almost none in the other prequels. It sorta reminded me of the OT

Also, what happened to all the battle droids. They still seemed to exist, but they are gone in the OT.

And with the Wookiees, the clonetroopers commented that all these Wookiees were dead so did that mean they were looking to kill the remaining Wookiess?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
well... before the duel in rotj, luke's record with vader wasn't that great either, that was kind of the point. perhaps it would have been better for obi-wan to face dooku again to move past his previous failure.
maybe another jedi goes with obi-wan instead of anakin since the jedi are all bugged out about this anakin/palpatine thing. maybe obi-wan goes to help another jedi who is already onto the dooku thing. maybe they can't spare another jedi to go with obi-wan, so he has to do it himself. maybe they do it in a way that obi-wan doesn't really know he's going to face dooku until it actually happens.
i think there are a number of ways that they could have made that work and my point is that greivous wasn't really needed. since TPM, i have felt that other parts of the story have suffered because we spend screen time on characters or storylines that don't mean anything. since TPM, greivous is certainly not the biggest waste of time on the screen but from my first impression, it is a waste.

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
I agree with most of you guys. Some things were spectacular and some things were a little campy, but heck... I'm just happy I got to see it.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Yoda Man said:
Did anyone else notice all the transitions compared to the almost none in the other prequels. It sorta reminded me of the OT

Also, what happened to all the battle droids. They still seemed to exist, but they are gone in the OT.

And with the Wookiees, the clonetroopers commented that all these Wookiees were dead so did that mean they were looking to kill the remaining Wookiess?
Palpatine gives an order to shut down all of the droids. I couldn't tell you why, but he does give that order in the movie.

Wookiees are made slaves by the Empire at some point. I think the clonetroopers were rounding up the survivors.

The wipes and dissolves are more blatent in this one, but I know they've been there in Ep1 and Ep2.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
CreepyBunny said:
I agree with most of you guys. Some things were spectacular and some things were a little campy, but heck... I'm just happy I got to see it.

i agree and i probably need to see it a few more times for my opinions to mean anything. for tpm, i was spoiler free and i felt a bit disapointed after seeing it for the first time. for aotc, i was heavy into the spoilers and still felt a bit disapointed after seeing it for the first time. for rots, i was kind of in between .... i didn't go looking for spoilers but there were plenty out there that were hard to avoid and my feeling after seeing rots for the first time is still a bit disapointing. i think that over time and more viewings, my disapointment will go away, as it did with the others.

back to one of my issues in a previous post... the palpatine/jedi fight in his office. i had seen the trailers over and over and i had seen stuff online and at c3 where the jedi light-up and palptine leaps at them with that creepy noise, then it cuts off. i think i had been imagining that as something that was going to be a bigger deal. i know it did become one for mace/palpatine and anakin but i think i just thought it would have been a bigger deal with the other jedi in the room before we got to that part.

another thing that bothered me that i didn't mention earlier was the dream sequences or visions that anakin was having. that was unexpected and seemed out of place or odd. before, when a jedi had a vision, it was only described, not shown and i think i would have prefered that.

Barada

Saboteur
Nightwing said:

No, they would fall into the reported 2 HOURS of cut footage. The figures were almost certainly in production before Lucas made his final cuts.

Nightwing said:
I also think that they missed a great opportunity to cameo Liam Neeson. In fact the film would be better of without that line because it feels so empty not featuring the spiritual image of Obi-wan's master

In the novelization, there is indeed a scene where Yoda and Qui-Gon carry on a conversation.

AmShak said:
i didn't really think it made palpatine look that great, to me it just made the jedi look weak..

Agreed. It would have been cooler had you seen more detail as described in the novel. He used Kit Fisto's head as a decoration on his desk, for example. Saesee Tiin's decapitated head rolled across the floor. Their deaths were more implied in the film.

Borsk said:
Would they have sent *only* Obi-Wan to fight Dooku though? Obi-Wan doesn't have such a hot track record versus Dooku.

Would it have mattered? The purpose was to split Anakin and Obi-Wan up. If Obi-Wan were killed, then that would have been a bonus for Palpatine.

Yoda Man said:

Palpatine does call them off. He orders Nute Gunray to do it, I believe. He wanted real soldiers for the Empire, not droids that have shown they're not tremendously effective in battle - especially if the droid control ship is destroyed.

Borsk said:
Wookiees are made slaves by the Empire at some point.

Yes, this is true. Remember, Han Solo was a former Imperial officer who rescues Chewie from his captivity.

Barada

Jedi_Joel

Agent
AmShak said:
Well I think they couldn't use Dooku in place of Grievous because he had to be killed by Anakin to show his decent down the slippery slope towards the dark side by killing Dooku. I think it also first demonstrates the power of influence Palpatine has over Anakin.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Jedi_Joel said:
Well I think they couldn't use Dooku in place of Grievous because he had to be killed by Anakin to show his decent down the slippery slope towards the dark side by killing Dooku. I think it also first demonstrates the power of influence Palpatine has over Anakin.

maybe that needs to happen, but for me it does not and i didn't care for how that played out anyway. it seemed dumb for anakin to be saying aloud that a jedi would not kill an unarmed man ..... either he would do it or not. i thought that duel was supposed to mirror the duel from rotj ... i just could have done w/o anakin saying what he did.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I would love to see 2 hours of additional footage. Too bad Lucas will never release it all. I'm thinking like LOTR. I could sit there and watch for 6 hours and see everything that happens, not just what makes for good editing. (And yes, good editing is as always a matter of opinion, and in the case of SW, always questionable).

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
darthskelington said:
I would love to see 2 hours of additional footage. Too bad Lucas will never release it all. I'm thinking like LOTR. I could sit there and watch for 6 hours and see everything that happens, not just what makes for good editing. (And yes, good editing is as always a matter of opinion, and in the case of SW, always questionable).
It's a safe bet that there will be multiple versions of ROTS aimed to maximize $$ made. I'm sure that this extra footage will, at some point, be a selling point to re-buy the movie on DVD.

-------

After listening to Barada try to explain, in chat the other night, how the ROTS book explains everything, I broke down and got it today. I'm a few chapters in.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Borsk said:
It's a safe bet that there will be multiple versions of ROTS aimed to maximize $$ made. I'm sure that this extra footage will, at some point, be a selling point to re-buy the movie on DVD.
I'm also willing to bet it'll be re-released in the fall with like 30min of extra footage.

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Yoda Man said:

The Emperor told Anakin to shut down all the battle droids. You would think the rebels would have tried to re-activate them.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
If I were grading all star wars films on this scale, I'd do the following...

ESB 10/10
ANH 10/10
ROTJ 9/10
ROTS 8/10
AOTC 7/10
TPM 7/10