Rate & Review ROTS!

How Would You Rate RotS?

• Total voters

Barada

Saboteur
9/10

Super Battle Droids should NOT have dialogue, and beating up R2 makes them cartoonish.

General Grievous looked cool, but would have looked tougher had they showed him taking out Jedi before his encounter with Obi-Wan.

Some scenes are cut that should have been left in (Mon Mothma anyone?)

Chewbacca - warrior or tag-along? Where were his action scenes?

On the plus side, the attack and assassination of the Jedi was awesome, and a little shocking in its intensity.

Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel was incredible.

The transformation of Anakin to Vader is all it was built up to be.

C-3PO abandons terrible AOTC one-liner dialogue in favor of more OT-style that we all recognize. Thank you George. That was a huge embarrassment in Clones.

Seeing Luke and Leia brings chills. Luke sure got the bum deal of the two though. One gets to be a princess - he gets to live in a desert.

Awesome movie, that built in intensity throughout, and tied up all kinds of loose ends.

Barada

Nightwing

New Recruit
seeing yoda in pyjamas made it all worthwhile :D

Where was Mon Mothma?!

Nice Tarkin lookalike

best lightsabre duel out of the six films

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Things I didn't like
  • The flying around doing loopty-loops while everyone else is fighting scene at the very beginning of the movie. I thought the first 15 minutes could have been condensed down and been better. I was afraid that the rest of the movie was going to flow like that opening scene. Also, there was very little music during the first part of the movie. I want a Star Wars movie to open with something memorable (Star Destroyer in ANH, Vader's shuttle ride to the Death Star in ROTJ), not an excuse to do goofy stuff in CG.
  • I was kinda iffy about any of the Padme/Anakin scenes. They always seem awkward (although I think they were better than in AOTC).
  • I wanted a better explanation of Qui-Gon and the jedi ability to commune with the dead.
  • The Wookiees didn't seem to really do anything. We spent all kinds of time in the first movie messing with the Gungans, you would think we could spend at least that much time with the Wookiees.
  • I would have liked to see more about the early rebel leaders (Mon Mothma, etc).
  • I'm not sure that they could have done it any better, but the scene were Vader breaks out of his bindings and screams - I wasn't crazy about the scream.
  • Political references. I could have done without the politics. I get enough of it in the news, Star Wars is supposed to be an escape. I'm talking mainly about the "with us or against us line". I was fine with the story aspect of it, but that line was a little too specific for my taste. I don't want to watch this movie 20 years from now and be reminded of Bush.
  • I agree with Barada about the battle droid dialogue - although I did enjoy R2 trying to muffle the commlink.
  • General Grievous constantly coughing. I know that they're trying to sell the idea that he's human, to some extent. But I prefer my villians to not have colds. Also, I agree with Barada that they didn't really give Grievous enough setup prior to the Kenobi fight. Grievous should have killed a jedi at some point.
Ok, some things I liked
  • Ok, the extermination of the jedi montage was very cool. That whole sequence was just about perfect.
  • Yoda taking a ride on Chewbacca.
  • Yoda walking in to Palpatines office and taking out his guards.
  • The Dooku scene was cool.
  • I liked the Mace vs. Palpatine battle with the exception of Palpatine's Wizard of Oz moment. I had hoped that Mace would be a more complex character (not exactly a good guy - perhaps doing things outside of the judgment of the jedi council). Good stuff though.
  • Anakin vs. Kenobi (although not crazy about that bit were they swing their sabers like they're on the flag team and never make contact)
  • Tarkin and the imperial officers. I would have loved to see more of that. But it was probably just the right amount.

I dunno, that's what I have right now. I'll try to see it again tonight. ;)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Jedi_Joel said:
I'm kind of inclined that Leia recalled Bail's wife as her mother rather than Padme.
I guess I need to watch ROTJ again, but I *think* Leia specifically talks about remembering her "real" mother.

Barada

Saboteur
Borsk said:
I guess I need to watch ROTJ again, but I *think* Leia specifically talks about remembering her "real" mother.

Yes.

Luke: Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?

Leia describes how beautiful, yet sad, she was.

Luke: I have no memory of my mother.

It's obvious Leia in ROTJ had some recollection of Padme. I guess Lucas will probably explain it something like this -

Leia is force sensitive. She probably had visions of Padme growing up, much like Luke 'sees' a city in the clouds and his friends in pain. Remember what Yoda told him about the Force and being able to see 'old friends long gone'. Maybe that applies to family too.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Barada said:
Yes.

Luke: Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?

Leia describes how beautiful, yet sad, she was.

Luke: I have no memory of my mother.

It's obvious Leia in ROTJ had some recollection of Padme. I guess Lucas will probably explain it something like this -

Leia is force sensitive. She probably had visions of Padme growing up, much like Luke 'sees' a city in the clouds and his friends in pain. Remember what Yoda told him about the Force and being able to see 'old friends long gone'. Maybe that applies to family too.

Barada
I just got done seeing it again, and the opening sequence bothered me less this time. I guess I wanted them to get on with it instead of letting artoo zap bugs off the ship.

Anyway...

A few other things:
  • If you look closely toward the bottom of the screen at the landing platforms (when Anakin and Obi-Wan's ship is landing after they've crash landed with Palpatine at the beginning), you can see the Falcon, or a ship that looks like it, fly by.
  • Again, someone may have to help my memory, but I recall Obi-wan stating, in ESB, that Luke was their last chance. The implication was that Obi-wan did not know about Leia (because yoda says, "no, there is another" - like he's telling Kenobi something he doesn't know). However, at the end of ROTS, Kenobi sees both kids.

I guess they plan on explaining the communing with the dead/blue glowy thing in the tv series. Would've been nice to fit a bit more on that subject in this film though...

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Borsk said:

At that point I don't think she knew she was adopted, but I could be wrong.

manivannanv

ManiSkywalker
Movie was really impressive and satisfying.

I agree with several of the view points above.

It was chilling to see all the Jedi perish to quickly and all we had left are Yoda and Obi Wan. That was sad but very effective.
All the lightsaber duels were awesome and the quality of the stunts were really good.

I had an issue with the communication with Yoda and ObiWan in ESB and ROTJ also. If Yoda and Obiwan were the only ones to learn this immortality thing , how come Vader after he dies and shows up as Anakin is one with the force!! Who taught him to communicate with the living? Or just because he is the chosen one, he knew how to do that.

Not enough wookies and also not enough amy allen!

Thanks or the tip n the millenium falcon, Borsk. I get to see it again tomorrow and I'll be on the lookout for that.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Borsk said:
Again, someone may have to help my memory, but I recall Obi-wan stating, in ESB, that Luke was their last chance. The implication was that Obi-wan did not know about Leia (because yoda says, "no, there is another" - like he's telling Kenobi something he doesn't know). However, at the end of ROTS, Kenobi sees both kids.
I believe that Obi-Wan was referring to someone who had actual force potential that would be able to take a stand against Vader and Palpatine. Now it's explained that Leia has some, not much in the EU.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
10/10 for me and on par if not better than The Empire Strikes Back.

It was the darkest and most emotional in the series by far I thought, it really hit hard.

So where to start. The acting was great, certainly no wooden performances that I could see like everyone else said about the two previous movies. Ewan was so good as Obi-Wan, he nailed the performance. The voice, the mannerisms, everything about it. Ian McDiarmid was the star though, so manipulative, so evil, you just had to hate him for what he was doing. Hayden showed he emotionals very well, just like he did in Attack of the Clones.

Visual effects were just stunning as always. Battles were epic! The infamous Duel between Vader and Obi-Wan was a sight to see, it was just awesome to see finally after all these years and it has to be the best lightsabre battle in the series. It's been 15 years since I read about the Duel and to finally see it was very fulfilling.

The story was very fast paced and seemed to solve most loose ends but I'd have to watch it again to pick up more.

Some scenes were very emotional to watch I thought. In a particular scene, the whole crowd just breathed in because of what they were seeing, very powerful.

Another scene was Obi-Wan talking to Darth Vader as he was burning, about how he loved him as a brother yet he also failed him, was done well. You could feel what Obi-Wan was going through, lots of sadness and regret.

The Jedi Purge was another scene that was sad to see as we see our favourite Jedi exterminted throughout the galaxy by the Clones.

Alot of people when they walked out didn't really say much about it, I think many were still trying to soak it all in and many had tears in their eyes I noticed because of how dark it was.

Vaders transformation was something to behold, being able to see through his mask and seeing him being prodded by the medical droids as the costume was put on. Truly an iconic moment, very surreal.

John Williams music was the best since The Empire Strikes Back, certainly with 'Battle of Heroes' and 'Anakin's Betrayal'. It really set the dark mood.

Well done George, well done.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Cmon guys, very very little wrong with this movie. He basically knocked it out of the park and somewhere into the next county! Its even enough to make us forget about Jar Jar ;)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Darth Boru said:
Cmon guys, very very little wrong with this movie. He basically knocked it out of the park and somewhere into the next county! Its even enough to make us forget about Jar Jar ;)
I enjoyed the movie and I do think it's the best of the prequels. The only real issues I have with the movie are that there are a few things that don't quite mesh properly with the OT and I was hoping for more answers than the movie gave us. I'd probably rate the first half of the movie 7/10 and the second half 9/10 - which is how I got to 8/10.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I’ll start by saying that I like this movie as I have liked all of the movies, but .... I have several problems with the movie. Perhaps my opinion will change after I have a chance to see it a few more times.

My biggest problem is that Lucas has junked it up, like he has with ep1 and ep2 with extra stuff that doesn't really do anything for me or the movie. Grievous was cool with the 4 sabers going on but I felt he was pretty wimpy overall. I don't think his character was needed ... dooku (a character that needs no explanation) could have done any of the grievous stuff (and better) if they would have kept him around a bit longer.

Another problem I have is with some of the Jedi falling too easily. I have a problem with a Jedi Master not even able to get a block in before he's killed. I also think they missed on a chance to have another great saber battle when palpatine fights the Jedi’s in his office. Instead two of them fall instantly and fisto gets in one block (maybe two) before he hits the floor? Imagine that battle if palpatine fought the four Jedi .... If even for a moment or two.

Most of my problems were in the first half, before the attack on the Jedi.

On the other hand.... I had strong concerns for them pulling off the anakin/vader transformation and I think they did that well. I was quite surprised to see Anakin on the ground burning. I think if I had seen that scene when I was the age I was when I saw ANH, I would have had nightmares for quite a while.

Of course, yoda kicked ass again and the obi-wan/anakin duel was certainly not a let down.

I did not care much for the frankensteinish Vader scene but I’ll probably get over that pretty quick.

Now that I have seen it, hopefully I can watch and enjoy it more in future viewings w/o being so critical. I cannot yet rank it among the prequels but I still prefer anything from the OT over it.

i still think there are several loose ends that could have been cleaned up.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Excellent movie. Having just seen it a few hours ago for the first time, I'm kinda still in that numb stage. Great movie overall, but I'm flipping flopping between like/dislike on certain aspects of it. After a few more viewings, I'll have it all straight and decide I like it. :p I agree with Borsk on many of his comments. The droids overall came off a little campy. I didn't see teh "with us or agaisnt us" statememt as political, not that it couldn't be. I'm not into politics myself, but the comment was quite familiar to me from some other fictional source, though I can't quite place it.

Grievous was almost a non-character, although I thought the same thing of Dooku in AOTC. I just finished reading Labyrinth of Evil last night and have read all the full novels and most of the comics (except the most recent ones :( ) So, I got a decent fell for the Clone Wars as a whole. I think I was kind of expecting the movie to be more of the Clone Wars (which overall were excellent stories), but as the title suggests, this is not the CW, it's the ROTS. The checkmate maneuver. So....that now leaves me wanting to read the novel, which is supposed to surpass the movie with it's insights into everyone's thought processes.

******small Labyrinth spoiler *****

Obi-Wan and ANakin had a brief encounter with Dookuy on another planet very shortly before ROTS, during the time Grievous staged his attack on Coruscant. After this encounter, Sidious told Dooku to go to Coruscant and challenge Obi-wan and Anakin. He was to kill Obi-Wan. Should ANakin be bested, he clearly would not be a worthy asset. Should through some twist of fate Anakin best Dooku, Sidious would ensure he would not suffer embarrassment and would intervene. Anyone notice that "oh ****" look on Dooku's face when Palpatine said Kill Him? :cool:

Overall, all the characters Dooku, Grievous, Ventress, Durge, etc had well developed motives and histories explained in the CLone Wars medium. Too bad you don't get to see any of it on screen. FYI, LAbyrinth does an excellent job of referenceing all the various prior CW material, as well as include characters from the Imperial era of fiction.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Oh...yeah..the whole movie was one big crescendo of action. The action seemed a little jumpy at times, as is characteristic of the prequels. However, part of that comes frome the great lightsaber duels. Lightsabers have a habit of ending fights abruptly :p

Jedi_Joel

Agent
AmShak said:
My biggest problem is that Lucas has junked it up, like he has with ep1 and ep2 with extra stuff that doesn't really do anything for me or the movie. Grievous was cool with the 4 sabers going on but I felt he was pretty wimpy overall. I don't think his character was needed ... dooku (a character that needs no explanation) could have done any of the grievous stuff (and better) if they would have kept him around a bit longer.
Grievous was simply a plot device that would pull Obi-Wan away from Anakin, which in turn creates more strife between Anakin and the council and allows Palpatine to approach Anakin about the darkside without any hinderance.