Indy IV: Harrison Ford is back!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
"Young Indiana Jones: The Movie" where it keeps flicking between the (now older) little kid and young adult Indiana Jones time periods. ;)

Buzz Bumble said:
"Young Indiana Jones: The Movie" where it keeps flicking between the (now older) little kid and young adult Indiana Jones time periods. ;)

I never did care for these Indy spin offs. Give me HF in a grand finally. :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Yep, I'd go with noone as well. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones (and Han Solo), there's no way another actor can take over the role ... unless they do something to the TV series did and go to a prequel movie and a much younger Dr Jones (perhaps a movie set between the TV series and the first movie).

Unfortunately Harrison himself may not agree with us. :( This is from The Indy Experience website:

TIE.c Exclusive: Harrison Ford Talks Indy IV!
Our friends over at IESB.net have given us an amazing Indiana Jones 4 scoop! IESB.net was in attendance for a special event for Hotel Rwanda to benefit Amnesty International which was hosted by Harrison Ford and Angelina Jolie. The many stars in attendance for the event included Matt Damon, Samuel L. Jackson, Eric Idle, Halley Berry and Wyclef Jean.

While Harrison Ford was not on the red carpet as expected, IESB.net was able to get an exclusive interview with Mr. Ford after the event. I was also fortunate enough to send in some questions about Indiana Jones 4 to be included with IESB.net's interview and here is what Harrison Ford had to say:

IESB.net: Is Indy 4 still going to be made?
Ford: "No doubt about it."

IESB.net: Could a younger actor play Indiana Jones in Indy 4?
Ford: "No problem, but Indy IV is mine." Ford also added that he wouldn't mind having a younger actor play Indy in future films, which is similar to what was done with the James Bond films after Sean Connery left.

IESB.net: Will you be doing your own stunts for Indiana Jones 4?
Ford: "At least some of them."

IESB.net also asked what was going on with the Indy 4 script and Ford said that George Lucas was happy with the new draft.

Harrison Ford is optimistic about Indiana Jones 4 and the new script which is always a good sign. Ford seemed very sure about the film and we now know that Lucas is happy with the script so things are looking a lot better than last time! Ford's reference to a younger actor to play Indy in future films was also very interesting, does this mean there are more sequels in the works? Only time will tell. In the mean time, stay tuned to The Indy Experience.com for the latest on Indiana Jones IV!

To learn more about Amnesty International, visit Amnesty.org. And we wish to extend a very big thanks to IESB.net for the exclusive!

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately Harrison himself may not agree with us

Unless I misread that, does he not state that "Indy IV is mine"? Which means that Ford is Indy in the next movie...

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I think Buzz meant that Ford wasn't ruling out a younger actor taking over the role AFTER Indy IV, despite most people agreeing that this would not be a cool move ?

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Yep. Switching actors has never made sense to me and kind of ruins it and makes a mockery of the whole thing. Movies like Indiana Jones and James Bond are about THAT character and you can't really suddenly change the actor because that has to changes the character too, no matter how good the actor is.

Even in a movie series like Star Wars, changing the actor for Han Solo to someone else for Return of the Jedi would be silly.

You could change the actor if (for example):
  • the movies were about "007" since then James Bond could die and be replace by "Fred Smith" who is given the "007" codename,
  • the movie is set in a different time (ie. a prequel or "next generation")
  • the character is "rejuvenated" is some way (eg. Doctor Who) - even if it's only the old soap favourite of having had a bad accident and plastic surgery, if they've really got so little creative skill.
:)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
ok. gotcha.

I guess changing actors doesn't bother me as much as long as the movies are still good and it doesn't interfere with an ongoing storyline. For example, I would be against another actor replacing Harrision Ford in ROTJ, because ROTJ resolves the story that took place in the previous films.

I think this is easier to do with Indy films because there isn't really anything that connects the 3 existing films into one larger story. They're basically individual adventures. It's easier to start fresh (even with a new actor playing the lead).

Sean Connery is the best James Bond, but I'm glad they kept making Bond movies after he left. Some of the Bond movies with Roger Moore are still pretty good. For example, Live and Let Die wouldn't have been made if they just packed up and quit after Connery left. Live and Let Die was one of the better Bond movies (in my opinion).

Indiana Jones and James Bond aren't tremendously "deep" characters either. I think that helps when you're talking about switching actors.

Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather have Harrison Ford play the role until he physically no longer can. But, I don't think it's the end of the world if they go with someone else down the road.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Yep, although I'm not sure Tom Selleck would have been the right choice.

I'd have preferred someone else to play Dr Jones as well ... Harrison Ford is Han Solo and it gets confusing seeing Han Solo throwing a whip around. That's why many actors hate being typecast or tied to one character. :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Slightly more news in the on-going saga of the Indy IV movie from SciFi.com ...

Spielberg Eyes Indy IV Soon
Steven Spielberg told SCI FI Wire that he still hopes to direct a fourth Indiana Jones movie in as soon as a year and a half — "maybe less" — and the director's longtime producer, Kathleen Kennedy, confirmed that Jeff Nathanson, who wrote the script for Spielberg's The Terminal, was the latest writer enlisted to write the long-delayed sequel.

Speaking to reporters on the set of his current War of the Worlds in Piru, Calif., Spielberg said: "Sometimes, you are really intent on making a picture, like I was with Indy IV, ... in which case my producer [George Lucas] didn't like the script [by Frank Darabont] as much as I did, but ... my intention was to make Indy IV a year and a half ago, and it didn't work out. I'm hoping to make it a year and half from now. Maybe less."

In a separate interview, Kennedy, who is also producing War of the Worlds, added that Nathanson was currently writing a new script for the fourth Indiana Jones movie and was starting from scratch. "We're going to see a script in about a month," she added.

Nightwing

New Recruit
Mad Magazine with the Superbowl on the cover features a parody on what the next Indy movie poster will look like, focusing on Ford's age :D

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The finished script may or may not call for "double-o-Jones", but Sean Connery is ready if they want him, according to this report from ComingSoon.net ...

Connery Ready for Indiana Jones 4?
Contact Music says it talked to Sean Connery's publicist, Nancy Seltzer, who gave an update on the actor's career.

"He's not interested in just doing anything, to work for the sake of working... He's taken some time off to write his memoirs but he hasn't retired," says Seltzer.

She added that he would like to reprise his character in Indiana Jones 4. "When I asked him if he'd play Indiana Jones' father again in another sequel, he said, 'Of course I would. Don't be ridiculous.'"