Indy IV: Harrison Ford is back!

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Buzz Bumble, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

"Young Indiana Jones: The Movie" where it keeps flicking between the (now older) little kid and young adult Indiana Jones time periods. ;)

2. chris solo

chris solo Agent

I never did care for these Indy spin offs. Give me HF in a grand finally. :)

3. Darth Aussie

Darth Aussie Australian Sith Lord

God no not Affleck....Maybe Colin Farrell........lol

4. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Nope, it's going to be a completely CGI Indiana Jones: "Mesa hate snakes". :p

5. Darth Boru

Darth Boru Celtic Sith

Can you just imagine Indy asking for "More peanuts" ?? :p

6. sentinal

sentinal Hunter

No I don't think it will be Farrel.

"Pierce Brosnan, who played British agent James Bond in the last four “007” films, says he thinks fellow Irishman Colin Farrell would be his ideal successor."

from msn.com http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6384572/

7. sentinal

sentinal Hunter

Scratch that, Colin Farrel said he wasn't interseted in the job.

8. Darth Aussie

Who else then?......

9. Nightwing

Nightwing New Recruit

howabout...no one!

10. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Yep, I'd go with noone as well. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones (and Han Solo), there's no way another actor can take over the role ... unless they do something to the TV series did and go to a prequel movie and a much younger Dr Jones (perhaps a movie set between the TV series and the first movie).

Unfortunately Harrison himself may not agree with us. :( This is from The Indy Experience website:

11. Borsk

Borsk Administrator Staff Member

Unless I misread that, does he not state that "Indy IV is mine"? Which means that Ford is Indy in the next movie...

12. Darth Boru

Darth Boru Celtic Sith

I think Buzz meant that Ford wasn't ruling out a younger actor taking over the role AFTER Indy IV, despite most people agreeing that this would not be a cool move ?

13. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Yep. Switching actors has never made sense to me and kind of ruins it and makes a mockery of the whole thing. Movies like Indiana Jones and James Bond are about THAT character and you can't really suddenly change the actor because that has to changes the character too, no matter how good the actor is.

Even in a movie series like Star Wars, changing the actor for Han Solo to someone else for Return of the Jedi would be silly.

You could change the actor if (for example):
    • the movies were about "007" since then James Bond could die and be replace by "Fred Smith" who is given the "007" codename,
    • the movie is set in a different time (ie. a prequel or "next generation")
    • the character is "rejuvenated" is some way (eg. Doctor Who) - even if it's only the old soap favourite of having had a bad accident and plastic surgery, if they've really got so little creative skill.
    :)

14. Borsk

Borsk Administrator Staff Member

ok. gotcha.

I guess changing actors doesn't bother me as much as long as the movies are still good and it doesn't interfere with an ongoing storyline. For example, I would be against another actor replacing Harrision Ford in ROTJ, because ROTJ resolves the story that took place in the previous films.

I think this is easier to do with Indy films because there isn't really anything that connects the 3 existing films into one larger story. They're basically individual adventures. It's easier to start fresh (even with a new actor playing the lead).

Sean Connery is the best James Bond, but I'm glad they kept making Bond movies after he left. Some of the Bond movies with Roger Moore are still pretty good. For example, Live and Let Die wouldn't have been made if they just packed up and quit after Connery left. Live and Let Die was one of the better Bond movies (in my opinion).

Indiana Jones and James Bond aren't tremendously "deep" characters either. I think that helps when you're talking about switching actors.

Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather have Harrison Ford play the role until he physically no longer can. But, I don't think it's the end of the world if they go with someone else down the road.

15. now from watching the xtras on the indy dvds george lucas diddnt even want harrison ford as indy he wanted tom selleck

16. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Yep, although I'm not sure Tom Selleck would have been the right choice.

I'd have preferred someone else to play Dr Jones as well ... Harrison Ford is Han Solo and it gets confusing seeing Han Solo throwing a whip around. That's why many actors hate being typecast or tied to one character. :)

17. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Slightly more news in the on-going saga of the Indy IV movie from SciFi.com ...

18. Nightwing

Nightwing New Recruit

Mad Magazine with the Superbowl on the cover features a parody on what the next Indy movie poster will look like, focusing on Ford's age :D

19. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

The finished script may or may not call for "double-o-Jones", but Sean Connery is ready if they want him, according to this report from ComingSoon.net ...

20. Darth Aussie

I hope so. He played a good role in Last Crusade. As long as they don't overdo it.......