Star Wars Themed political adverts

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
A group compaigning against various New Zealand government policies ran a couple of adverts in The New Zealand Herald newspaper on "Star Wars Day" (Wed, May 4, 2022). The politics behind them of course won't mean anything to anyone outside New Zealand (nor most people in New Zealand for that matter), but just for the sake of interest of Star Wars happenings in other countries, I thought I'd post them here.

I wonder if Lucasfilm knows their product has been hi-jacked, albeit parody-style, for political purposes. :unsure:

The first, small banner advert was at the bottom of the newspaper's front page ...

0q8pUxn.jpg

while the second was a full page advert on page 13 ...

HjqiZC6.jpg

The people in the adverts are New Zealand politicians in the current Labour government - in the large advert, they are:
  • Jacinda Ardern (Prime Minister) as the Emperor at the top,
  • Grant Robertson (Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance) on the left,
  • Andrew Little (Minister of Health) on top-right,
  • Willie Jackson (Minister for Maori Development) on bottom-right,
  • Nanaia Mahuta (Associate Minister for Maori Development) bottom,
  • and the building (nicknamed is the Beehive, due to the shape) is one of the main Houses of Parliament government buildings in the capital city Wellington.

Last edited:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Not a political advert, but this was the editorial cartoon in The New Zealand Herald newspaper a few weeks ago (Sunak being the latest new UK Prime Minister and a Star Wars fan) ...

XNHeNld.jpg

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
A new year, a new Prime Minister and Members of Parliament, and a new set of political adverts this year (Thu, 4 May, 2023) ...

IHIS6GM.jpg

L31rF7B.jpg

This year the people in the large advert are:
  • Chris Hipkins (Prime Minister) as the Emperor at the top,
  • Kieran McAnulty (Associate Minister of Local Government) on left,
  • David Parker (Minister for the Environment) on right,
  • Willie Jackson (Minister for Maori Development) on bottom-left,
  • Nanaia Mahuta (Minister of Foreign Affairs) bottom-right,
  • and the building (nicknamed is the Beehive, due to the shape) is one of the main Houses of Parliament government buildings in the capital city Wellington.