Padmé Didn’t Die of a Broken Heart

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
NoBrokeyHart08.png
http://www.retrozap.com/padme-didnt-die-of-a-broken-heart/

This has always bothered me about ROTS, I like this theory much better! What do you guys think?​

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Nope. Like many crackpot and conspiracy nutter theories, it tries to read too much into things. Palpatine simply said Padme was killed by Anakin because he knew that would be the final tipping point in his turn completely to the Dark Side by removing that last shred of caring and compassion.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
What do you think her cause of death was? I don't think she died of a broken heart, or even losing the will to live, you can't die of those things.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
You can die of those things.

You quite often see people who have been married for many years die at almost the same time because the second person simply doesn't want to go on without the first. There's nothing physically wrong with the second person, they simply gave up wanting to live.

Your state of mind does have a huge affect on your health - some people die simply because they give up while someone else lives because they fought to do so, when medically they were both the "same condition" (there are of course many many other factors involved too).

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Buzz. However, I think the impact of "state of mind"/"will to live" only really comes into play for someone that's already close to death. Someone in the prime of their life isn't going to just *think* themself to death.

It's plausible that Palpatine could kill her as described in the article. Although, you'd think he'd use that method more often. Perhaps he can't use it on others with high levels of force power and/or it drains a lot of his energy to do it.

I still hate the concept of midichlorians.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Young people do also give up which causes them to take longer to heal than it should. In some cases they do die,but it's not as common due to various factors, such as them usually being fitter / healthier and young people tend to have pushy parents nagging them. Padme is already weakened by the twin-pregnancy, by Anakin's choking her, and by the birth. The realisation that she has lost Anakin could well be the final straw.

The "broken heart" option makes more sense to me than Palpatine being some sort of life-force vampire who can suck the essence out of people at long range not even knowing where they are. :)

Besides, the Star Wars Saga is basically a modern-day fairy tale (it even starts with a reworking of "Once upon a time"), so the 'princess' dying of a broken heart fits perfectly well.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Palpatine has a strong motive to want Padme dead. He can never fully control Vader while she lives. So, from that perspective, any theory that involves Palpatine directly causing Padme to die makes sense.

However... you would think if Palpatine had it within his power to do what's described in the article, why wouldn't he kill the babies as well? The children are another source of interference in Palpatine's control over Vader. It's ultimately what causes Palpatine to lose. Perhaps he recognized that the threat of the children wasn't immediate, the children could be corrupted just like Vader, and the children would eventually be an excellent insurance policy as a replacement to Vader.

I'm sure the "broken heart" explanation is exactly what Lucas intended. It's just kinda cheesy and seems better suited to a movie like Shrek.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
This is the most thought I've ever given to Padme's death. It's one of those things I just gloss over in the movie, but if you actually stop to think about what's going on, it does seem like less that stellar storytelling. Lazy really.

This is a bit of a tangent, but my impression has always been that Lucas intended 1977 Star Wars to be a semi-serious movie aimed at an adult (intelligent) audience. Lucas perceived the final result as a "kid's movie" and ever since then, he's intentionally dumbed it down to pander to what he perceived to be the audience. It's like he started out making a film he wanted to see and ended up making films that he thought other people wanted to see. He winds up out-of-touch with the audience and since he's not making the movies for himself anymore ... he's just lost.