New Packaging

Yoda Man

New Recruit
Just Curious, what are everybody's views on the new curved packaging. I hated it at first, but it is great for storing them and they don't get as banged up in stores.

Barada

Saboteur
They look nice, but I don't understand your praises.

Easy to store? How do you stack curved bubbles? Not as banged up? Those corners are hard to find not creased or splitting after they've been on the pegs awhile.

I prefer standard square bubbled cards.

Barada

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
ok... ready? ....... the Tape sucks, the corners (vaders helmet) are bad, the bubble and the overall package doesn't work for me...

being someone who collects autographs on carded figures, this packaing is terrible. i prefer the autograph to be on the card... i won't even bother getting an autograph on the bubble or any of these figures. this new packaing does not allow for that.

i'm also not seeing where there is an advantage to storing them. if anything, it seems that these will be more difficult to store.

on the up side.... you don't get the crushed corners on the bubbles as easily.

oh yeah, did i mention the TAPE sucks?

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
If the bubbles weren't partially taped, they would be pretty awesome cards. The fact that they are taped (my 5 year old daughter could do better) takes away from it totally. How long before the tape ages and looses its stick?

It is possible to find cards in good condition. At our Wal-Mart midnight madness I snagged a few empty boxes to store the figures I purchased. They have triagular inserts to protect the points on the card.

As far as room to autograph... no help there. Given my choice... I'd prefer the saga (square) cards and bubbles.

Barada

Saboteur
Jedi Freezeman said:
It is possible to find cards in good condition.

Oh, I wasn't saying it wasn't easy. I did get a few on the first day, and even now when I look there are some that are undamaged. My point is that having those small corners means that every time they fall off a peg, get dropped, or grabbed by a pair of not-so-delicate hands, those corners are gonna curl pretty easy. By the time Sith prmieres, finding a clean card still hanging around on the pegs from April 2 and still in good condition is going to be tough, IMO.

Another problem with the tape will be something I see all too often being a vintage collector. Tape goes yellow real fast, and even if it doesn't lose its stickiness, they're going to be awfully ugly cards to look at when they have streaks of yellow on them in a few years.

Barada

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
the thing with the corners (for me) is that my eye doesn't go right to it (yet). i'll pick up a card that i think is in good shape and then notice later that the corners are dinged. with the previous cards, my eye would go to the actual corners, then the bubble, then the J hook .... right now thay seem to go to the J hook first.

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
While i like the look of the new effects and card style, i still prefer the older style bubble. As was said before, easier to store and autograph......

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
something else to watch for with this packaging is for people who like to switch figures out. removing and replacing the bubble on these is much easier than the bubbles that were glued to the card. although i have never really understood it, i have already seen figures swapped on these cards.

Nightwing

New Recruit
the new cards just suck!

If the idea was to open the bubble then replace them, it doesnt work.

you remove the tape, then you are left with a sticky card.