005 - Kenny Baker (R2-D2)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
autographcollecting2.jpg

TBS_Baker.jpg

For our latest project, how about Kenny Baker, R2-D2 himself!

Kenny Baker is known mostly for his portrayal of R2-D2 in all 6 Star Wars movies. (a role he had to share with an actual robot half the time). He was also Paploo, the speeder-bike swiping Ewok. Additionally, he has had numerous other movie roles. Most notable is his role as Fidgit in Time Bandits. He has also appeared in Flash Gordon, The Elephant Man, Amadeus, Willow, Labyrinth, and the 1989 Chronicles of Narnia TV movie: Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

You can check out Mr. Baker’s IMDB filmography and short biography here.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048652/

Mr. Baker has an interview in Star Wars Insider Magazine issue 39.

You can also go to his website for a bit more info:

www.kennybaker.co.uk (link courtesy of Chris Solo) :)

Mr. Baker is one of the SW actors who graciously signs for his fans. Despite making multiple convention appearances every year, Mr. Baker still signs most through-the-mail requests he receives. Often, he will even include his own 8X10 picture. As long as you include a SASE and postage (IRCs), there is a good chance he will sign for you, and personalize if requested.

In the past, he has sent me an color 8X10 of him on location in Tunisia, personalized to me. He also signed the Widevision card I sent him. Depending on his schedule, you might receive a response in about a month, give or take.

So what are you waiting for? Get writing. :p Don’t forget to log when you sent your request. Post it here if you like.

Kenny Baker
51 Mulgrave Rd Avenue
Ashton
Preston, Lancashire
PR2 1HJ
United Kingdom

Should any celebrity wish their address not posted, please contact myself (darthskelington) or any site staff member and it will be removed immediately.

AmShak note:
The images below are at 200 dpi and should print out at 4.25 inches by 6.25 inches with the intention of trimming them down to 4” X 6”

Attachments

• 0005Kenny Baker ep4 1.jpg
    0005Kenny Baker ep4 1.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 610
  • 0005Kenny Baker ep5 1.jpg
    0005Kenny Baker ep5 1.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 607
  • 0005Kenny Baker ep5 3.jpg
    0005Kenny Baker ep5 3.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 572
  • 0005Kenny Baker ep6 2.jpg
    0005Kenny Baker ep6 2.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 609
  • 0005Kenny Baker ep6 1.jpg
    0005Kenny Baker ep6 1.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 546

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Re: TBS Autograph Project 005 - Kenny Baker (R2-D2)

I mailed out an 8x10 and trading card as well as 3 IRCs on 8/2/05.

Jedi_Joel

Agent

Success!
bakerphoto.jpg

bakercard.jpg

Took 50 days.
Sorry about the flash glare and the not so great photos, I don't have access to a scanner at the moment.

If you want DS, I found many Star Wars actor websites just by typing out their names on google. You can pluck a bit of interesting tidbits from them.

Here is mine:cheers:
Also through mail:spin:

Attachments

• 503247588YoTZYL_ph.jpg
    503247588YoTZYL_ph.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 498

Victor_Von_Doom

All that is man

Does anyone have any pictures of the photographs he provides? Does he always provide pics? I'd really like to get his autograph, but I don't know if I want to pay $5 for a photo from Official Pix.

Jedi_Joel

Agent

Victor_Von_Doom said:
Does anyone have any pictures of the photographs he provides? Does he always provide pics? I'd really like to get his autograph, but I don't know if I want to pay $5 for a photo from Official Pix.
To be honest, I think it's pretty low when people ask the celebs to give them a picture free of charge, it's an abuse of the person's goodwill towards the fans. Thus why I send items with every request and if they do include something with it, so be it.

Victor_Von_Doom

All that is man

Jedi_Joel said:
To be honest, I think it's pretty low when people ask the celebs to give them a picture free of charge, it's an abuse of the person's goodwill towards the fans. Thus why I send items with every request and if they do include something with it, so be it.

I think you might have misunderstood me.

Its not like I'm demanding a picture from him - if he is in the habit of including one anyway (which is his choice afterall), then whats wrong with that? Many celebrities include a signed photo of their own regardless what you send them.

I send something with all my requests as well, be it an index card, trading card, photograph, etc. I'm not just trying to get a handout from him or abusing his kindness. In fact, I was planning on sending him some trading cards, and if he included a photo that would be an added bonus. I was just curious to see which photos he includes.

I know what you mean though, and I feel the same way - a lot of collectors feel that they are entitled to something, and I assure you this is no the case with me.

I hope this clears things up.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member

Bounty CK said:
Here is mine:cheers:
Also through mail:spin:
it looks like he did those little dashes above R2's head .... although i don't think he has done anything unusual on anything he has signed for me, i have seen him get a bit creative several times on others.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos

Mr. Baker had been sending out set photos from Episode 1 in Tunisia, back when I requested around 2000. I believe this pic was still being sent out recently...perhaps last year even. The picture was of Baker standing next to R2. It is quite nice, but not of the highest resolution. A purchased picture would probably look better, if you were so inclined to make the investment.

Me...I take what I can get. :) As for my opinion on requesting photos....I'm unassuming enough that I don't ask for a photo anymore. I simlply ask for them to sing my card or item. I will, however, enclose a large envelope if they are known for sending their own photos, or I hope to receive one. The envelope is hint enough for me. :p

here's a link to some of my autographs. The Baker pic is in the lower center of the group.

http://forums.thebothanspy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2225&d=1087182415

Victor_Von_Doom

All that is man

Thanks skelington. I was wanting to get a signed photo with him and R2 in it, but I don't think Official Pix has one, and I couldn't find a good pic online.

I never ask for photographs either, I just take what I get basically.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member

Images added to the first post for anyone wishing to use them.

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Now that i finally have my post office on track with the IRC's, i can finally send some of these non-us requests that i have.
Request sent today

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
an excellent response today. not only did he sign the multiple items that i sent, he also included the ep1 pic discussed earlier in the thread. something to note is that he signed the color photos with a blue pen and the black and white with a black pen.

34 days

Attachments

• 0005Kenny Baker ep4 1 success.jpg
    0005Kenny Baker ep4 1 success.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 516
  • 0005Kenny Baker ep6 3 success.jpg
    0005Kenny Baker ep6 3 success.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 525
  • 0005Kenny Baker ep6 5 success.jpg
    0005Kenny Baker ep6 5 success.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 510
  • 0005Kenny Baker epX 1 success.jpg