Star Wars live-action TV series

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Here's the latest piece of news from ComingSoon.net ...

McCallum on the Star Wars TV Series
Producer Rick McCallum gave Empire Online an update on the upcoming live-action "Star Wars" TV series.
"That's not going to happen probably for another year and a half while we develop scripts and everything else," he says. "But it's fantastic; we've got some incredible writers. It's going to be much darker, much more character-based, and I think it's going to be everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be. They'll be one-hour episodes. It takes place between Episodes III and IV. It's going to be all-new characters, maybe a few bounty hunters in there to start the series off."​

He added that George Lucas just finished the Indiana Jones 4 script and Steven Spielberg is having that rewritten.

Hmmmm .... a "new Galactica" style of Star Wars is the LAST thing I want. :(
(Well, another Holiday Special would be marginally worse.)

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
At CIII didn't RM say it would be in the time of the old republic? I think it would be interesting to see the reign of the Sith and how power was taken away from them. I think they should stay away from the movies- less chance of messing up the continuity more.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Jedi Freezeman said:
At CIII didn't RM say it would be in the time of the old republic? I think it would be interesting to see the reign of the Sith and how power was taken away from them. I think they should stay away from the movies- less chance of messing up the continuity more.
I'm pretty sure he said it will take place between E3 and E4 when he talked about it at Celebration III. Lack of sleep at the time = fuzzy memory, though.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Buzz Bumble said:
Hmmmm .... a "new Galactica" style of Star Wars is the LAST thing I want.
The new Battlestar Galactica is good. That's the only thing the Star Wars series should try to copy - just be good.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I'm fairly sure that it's always been based between Episodes III and IV. There was a question from someone at one point (an interview with George Lucas or Rick McCallum??) that asked if there would be a TV series based in the Old Republic, and they said a rather vague "if this one is successful there may be more" kind of answer.

Whether or not the new-Galactica is any good as a show isn't really relevant. It's simply not "Battlestar Galactica". It has some of the vague ideas behind it (and even some of the same episode plots), but the 'problem' with the new-Galacitca is that it's a totally different style of show to the original. It's not really "Battlestar Galactica" at all, but some hybrid of Space:Above & Beyond meets Starship Troopers. It would be a bad idea to have a "Star Wars" TV series that's so different in style to the movies. The only real reason to change to a similar style (if that is what they're doing) is to jump on the band-wagon ... something George Lucas doesn't really do.

Of course, it would sort-of bring the whole thing full circle: first there was "Star Wars, which was copied by "Battlestar Galactica", and now we (might) have "Battlestar Galactica" being copied by "Star Wars". :(

Then again, Episode III was supposedly "darker", etc. and wasn't really that much different and still fits with the rest. :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'm missing where Galactica was mentioned in the original article. If you can give me the quote that you're referring to, that would help. Otherwise, I'm not sure why we're talking about Battlestar Galactica. I don't see any way that Star Wars will try to copy the style of BSG. I don't see Star Wars switching to a documentary style of camerawork or doing away with wipes and disolves.

"Young Indiana Jones" is most likely a better reference to how the show will be influenced by the movies.

Buzz Bumble said:
but the 'problem' with the new-Galacitca is that it's a totally different style of show to the original. It's not really "Battlestar Galactica" at all, but some hybrid of Space:Above & Beyond meets Starship Troopers.
I've never seen a single episode of the Original Battlestar Galactica. But, I very seriously doubt that faithfully recreating every aspect of the old show would have left us with watchable tv. And it isn't like they could do the same thing Star Trek does and just place the events of the new show 100 years after the ending of the previous show and give the characters different names.

Star Wars is more like Star Trek in that there is a vast story that can be told over a wide time span. Battlestar is about running away from an enemy and finding home. Once you find home, the story ends. And you can't run forever without it becoming dull. The point: It is difficult to expand the concept of BSG, but you can always add chapters to Star Wars or Star Trek. Having a new BSG series is really only possible by redoing it, not expanding it.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Buzz Bumble said:
Whether or not the new-Galactica is any good as a show isn't really relevant. It's simply not "Battlestar Galactica". It has some of the vague ideas behind it (and even some of the same episode plots), but the 'problem' with the new-Galacitca is that it's a totally different style of show to the original. It's not really "Battlestar Galactica" at all, but some hybrid of Space:Above & Beyond meets Starship Troopers. It would be a bad idea to have a "Star Wars" TV series that's so different in style to the movies. The only real reason to change to a similar style (if that is what they're doing) is to jump on the band-wagon ... something George Lucas doesn't really do.
It still has the original concepts behind the originals series, and they've improved upon the ideas too. You do have to admit that the Original BSG was pretty campy and very dated.

Of course, it would sort-of bring the whole thing full circle: first there was "Star Wars, which was copied by "Battlestar Galactica", and now we (might) have "Battlestar Galactica" being copied by "Star Wars". :(
I wouldn't say BSG copied SW simply because they had space battles and spaceships that shot lasers, they had totally different stories, and Glen A. Larson talked about how he based the show upon Mormonism and the Cold War as well.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Jedi_Joel said:
I wouldn't say BSG copied SW simply because they had space battles and spaceships that shot lasers, they had totally different stories, and Glen A. Larson talked about how he based the show upon Mormonism and the Cold War as well.
The original Battlestar Galactica was basically "Star Wars" for TV, the usual Hollyweird jumping on the band-wagon of someone else's good idea and making semi-clones of it (another one being Buck Rogers by the same team and even using some of the same footage!) ... in fact George Lucas even (reportedly) sued them, but lost.

Borsk said:
Ok, I'm missing where Galactica was mentioned in the original article.
Galactica as such wasn't mentioned anywhere in the original news item. The words "darker" and "character-based" do imply something similar to some degree to me (similar wording has been used about the new-Galactica) ... but, the main point was changing the style of Star Wars as they've already done with Galactica is not a good idea.

Borsk said:
I've never seen a single episode of the Original Battlestar Galactica. But, I very seriously doubt that faithfully recreating every aspect of the old show would have left us with watchable tv. And it isn't like they could do the same thing Star Trek does and just place the events of the new show 100 years after the ending of the previous show and give the characters different names.
There was already a show called "Galactica 1980" (an awful pile of trash that's held in the same "esteem" by fans as the Star Wars Holiday Special is by us) made in 1980 that did follow on from the original "Battlestar Galactica". It basically took over the story years later when they reached Earth ... but again the entire style of the show was completely different and MUCH more 'kiddy-fied". It was basically "Space Scouts Camp Out on Earth" with a bit of crime investigation and time travel thrown in, but very little of the actual Galactica whihc simply lured the Cylons away from Earth.

During Hollyweird's recent "remake" / "update" everything fad, the original idea for the new-Galactica was to be a "next generation" style show, which would have worked, but the guy behind it (Bryan Singer and before him someone else) got too busy doing the X-Men 2 movie and the whole project got given to Ron Moore (from the Star Trek franchise), who decided to be half-lazy and just remake the original using his own style (and taking over most of Bryan Singer's already done CGI work!).

Jedi_Joel said:
You do have to admit that the Original BSG was pretty campy and very dated.
I don't think anyone would say the original was high quality, but it was a nice show for many. Personally I see the new version as over-sexed rubbish that takes itself far too seriously, but as I said, whether the show is any good or not is irrelevant, that's only personal opinion and emotions.

From a logical point of view, changing the style is simply silly, and even more so when you keep the same name. It would be like Coca-Cola releasing Asparagus Coke and still just calling it Coca-Cola - a completely different product hiding behind the name of the original. Calling a show by the same name means you're basically false-advertising to the original's fans and putting off people who disliked the original ... it makes no real sense from anyone's point of view, except perhaps the studio who then own the rights to that name for another X years. Realisitically it would have made more sense if Ron Moore had called his show something else. The same goes for a Star Wars - a TV show that is done in a completely different style is simply trading on the Star Wars name to get the all-important initial ratings.

* BUT *
As I said above, Episode III was supposed "darker" and wasn't that different. We can only wait and see what the TV series really is before we'll know for sure whether it's complete rubbish, more great Star Wars, or somewhere in-between that some of us like and some dislike. Hopefully it's not a drastic change ... and I can't see George Lucas being that stupid. :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if "more character based" is a nice way of saying there won't be as many special effects. As for "darker", that probably has to do with the Empire gaining more and more power - leading up to ANH. I really don't think it's any more than that.

The thing you're going to miss are the characters from the movies. They're never going to make ESB again. Regardless of the size of the screen it's playing on.

I really don't think there are any comparisions to be made with the new BSG other than it's a popular show and I'm sure Lucas would like to make a popular show.

I enjoy the new BSG. Maybe this is because I don't have any baggage from watching/enjoying the old show. The show is about the ship and the crew - thus the title. You can't plop down on a planet and ditch the ship and still have the same show. That's why I think you can't tell the story outside of Adama and his people trying to outrace the Cylons. There are no interesting prequels or sequels to that.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The thing you're going to miss are the characters from the movies.

There's already books, etc. that don't include the main movie characters, so it should be that big a surprise to most fans. Casual hanger-on may be confused though and no doubt forums and message boards across the Internet will be flooded with "where's XYZ?" questions by the same people who asked if the kid in Episode I was Luke.

You can easily have Galactica prequels, sequels and spin-offs (to either the old or new version), eg. the wars that were the reason for the ships (the Cylon Wars, which are partly in the computer game), reaching Earth (and not "today's" Earth of the hopeless Galactica 1980), Battlestar Pegasus, etc. No doubt if the new version continues to be popular there will be such things based on it. Whether you should have them or not is a totally different question. :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I still disagree that there could be a successful spin-off/sequel/prequel to BSG that takes place outside the Adama-era. The show is named after the ship and I would imagine that Adama commanded it during the most exciting time it existed in the story. We should probably make a "bash the new BSG thread" instead of continuing the BSG conversation in this one.

Back to Star Wars:

People will miss having Jedi characters.

Also, the type of stories will be different. Let's say, for example, that a storyline looks at the life of Greedo or Jabba the Hutt. Star Wars typically doesn't spend a lot of time on such characters, so it may be a little "weird" to have that be a focus. This might feel less "Star Wars" because it's less epic.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Borsk said:
People will miss having Jedi characters.
i'm not an expert on the EU but all of the jedi do not die at the end of ROTS. the jedi could still be around to some extent.

i would not mind stories that revolved around the minor characters from jabba's palace... i think it would be better to stay away from directly telling a story about jabba, but he could be involved from time to time.

someone like BoShek might be a nice character to follow around for a bit.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Since he said something about Bounty Hunters, it's looking more likely as though it could be either "hunting down the Jedi" or a "Boba Fett" storyline ... or maybe both combined.