New animated series: "Star Wars Rebels"

Discussion in 'Espionage Report' started by Buzz Bumble, May 21, 2013.

1. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

After cancelling the animated Clone Wars series virtually mid-show, :( Disney are now rushing ahead with a new animated series (due in 2014) for their own channels.

This is from EW.com ...

2. Borsk

Borsk Administrator Staff Member

The only reason to cancel the Clone Wars cartoon was because they didn't have enough resources to dedicate to both shows or they felt interest in Star Wars isn't high enough to warrant two shows. It doesn't seem like either of those things are terribly likely, but who knows. Perhaps there's something else that made it untenable to move the show from Cartoon Network to Disney.

Having said that, the time frame for the new show *should*, in theory, be considerably more interesting (at least to me).

3. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

The reported reason for cancelling The Clone Wars and shutting down LucasArts was because they wanted to concentrate on the movies ... which now appears to have bene just a load of PR-spin garbage, as usual. The real reason is obviously that thye didn't want to supply a competitior channel with content (even though Disney would be making money with it) - presumably they felt it wasn't a good fit with Disney channel content, so maybe the new animated show will be more Disney / kiddy-friendly.

I don't think we even get Disney XD here in New Zealand ... I know Sky TV does have the Disney and Disney Jnr channels.

4. darthskellington

darthskellington Dark Lord of the Typos

I'm still a couple seasons behind on Clones Wars....but it was definitely a little more adult themed. Not that kids can't relate to serious topics and battle, nor does a cartoon need to be dumbed down for kids to enjoy it.

Overall, enjoyed the run (that I've seen), and look forward to more"classic" era tales as well.

5. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

I've got all of The Clone Wars DVDs so far, but I haven't actually seen very many episodes. I do like this version more than the previous Samurai Jack style show though.

6. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

A new still image has been released by LucasFilm.

[​IMG]
    Click here for a bigger version

Hasbro also recently released an image of the 3 3/4" figure for this new bad guy called The Inquisitor.

[​IMG]

7. darthskellington

Figure looks cool. Latest commentary is that the cartoon preview photo has a different lightsaber. One that is a little more practical. This one is shaped like the Grievous saber toy, which is great for spinning, but otherwise useless in combat. :p

8. Borsk

Go Go Gadget Neck

darthskellington likes this.
  9. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Another new character has been revealed ... and astromech named "Chopper". This is from IGN.com ...

"Aren't you a little short for an astromech?" ;)

darthskellington likes this.
  10. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

ComingSoon.net (among other places) has images of six new Empire propaganda posters ... for a show supposedly based on the Rebels, they're certainly putting out a lot of Imperial imagery.

11. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

12. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Disney / Lucasfilm has released a Teaser Trailer. A full trailer is due for release on Star Wars Day (4 May). :)

13. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

The full trailer is out:

14. Borsk

This is probably a bit of a tangent. There's a difference between making a show that's appropriate for children and a show that's dumbed-down "for" children. I'm not saying the show will be bad, but for whatever reason, that's all I could think about while watching that trailer.

15. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

A clip showing the first seven minutes of the Star Wars Rebels animated series is on YouTube ...

16. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Another new Rebels video ...

17. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

Three more TV shorts. From ComingSoon.net ...

18. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Geek Jedi

I watched 'Spark of the Rebellion' on the weekend. I absolutely loved it. The look and camera angles, the sounds and music, the feel and of course the characters all reminded me of the OT and being that 7 year old boy again. 2 weeks feels like lifetime away for a new episode.

19. darthskellington

So far I've just seen one of the teaser shorts, but it was awesome. Still need to finish up Clone Wars....almost done with it.

20. Buzz Bumble

Buzz Bumble Furry Ewok

The movie-length premiere plays here on Friday and repeated on Saturday. Not sure if I'll be able to see it since both are rather difficult timeslots.