Deluxe Figures Wave3. Detailed Pictures And Review

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
<CENTER>DELUXE WAVE 3
DETAILED PICTURES AND REVIEW
</CENTER>

<CENTER> By Ishi Tib</CENTER>

Available now at a good number of retailers throughout the country, Deluxe figures wave 3 have made their appearance.

The wave offers two different sets and four new sculpts. From Attack of the Clones Yoda and Super Battle Droid, puts on our shelves the diminutive Jedi Master on a duel against a Super Battle Droid, a scene which was not part the film. The second set, on the other hand is scene specific rendering of C-3PO and Battle Droid, taken right off the droid factory sequence.

Without any further delay let's take a close-up look at what Deluxe Wave 3 is giving us ...

<CENTER>YODA
WITH FORCE POWERS!
</CENTER>

This is one I'm truly not too happy with. Despite the fact the figures are in fact new sculpts of Yoda and the Super Battle Droid, the idea of this set as a whole is disappointing.

For starters we cannot relate to any sequence in the film with Yoda fighting Super Battle Droids, nor the platform and crane which comes with them. I'm not against offerings with creative ideas but in my own opinion this is a set directed more to kids than to collectors and based on my point of view as a collector, that is where my judgment leads.

<CENTER>PLATFORM/BASE</CENTER>

The display/play platform recreates a hanger interior with a rocky-like border and a couple of white hoses molded onto the plastic. There is also a two piece crane (column and arm) which attaches to the back of the base. Although intended to fall apart, I found myself wishing they had come up with a better system to hold the crane's arm in place; the peg sticking out from the top of column to mount the arm onto is too small and makes it difficult to balance and support the weight of the arm; the arm falls down rather easily.

There is a springboard on the floor for the Super Battle Droid to be placed on; using a magnetic lever located at the right end of the platform Yoda can be pushed forward towards the springboard activating a mechanism which pops it open, throwing the Super Battle Droid off the base, a "force-push action" experience. The arm of the crane will topple by pulling Yoda back with the lever or making him turn to either side.

<CENTER>YODA</CENTER>

If we were to compare this Yoda to its previous release from April 23, the Deluxe version is far inferior. Overall he is a smaller figure; his cloak is molded onto the body thus making his legs, trunk and robes one solid piece. The figure also lacks the texture and details (very noticeable on the face), the single carded version offers and the articulating points have been sized down to three, and limiting it just to his neck and shoulders. The articulated waist the previous version offered wasn't given to the Deluxe figure.

Yoda comes with three embedded magnets. There is one nicely disguised in his left hand and strong enough to hold the metal lightsaber hilt securely. The other two magnets are located under his feet and attract well the metal piece of the moving lever located beneath the surface of the platform. When the lever is moved, Yoda moves around with it, sort of giving the figure the ability to walk on his own.

<CENTER>SUPER BATTLE DROID</CENTER>

The new Super Battle Droid version lacks the ability to explode and does not offer any arm attachments however, it does offer as good of a sculpting as April's version. Small carbon scoring spots can be seen here and there, adding to a more realistic effect of the figure. The left arm has been redesigned sporting a double barrel gauntlet where a red blast effect can be attached. Usually, I leave blast effects out as I believe the majority of them detract from a figure's overall appearance but in this case, I placed mine on the droid since it actually adds color to an otherwise too plain figure.

Stability is a different story. You will need a stand for this Super Battle Droid to keep him from falling. The legs are made out of a very flimsy plastic thus not supporting the weight of the figure properly and making it fall. Also, due to the soft nature of the plastic, many of these droids are being found with slanted, curved out of shape legs, a disappointing fact which adds on to its inability to remain standing. Again, a stand will correct this.

The figure presents articulation at shoulders and hips. No other articulating points were given.

<CENTER>FIGURE INFORMATION</CENTER>

NAME OF FIGURE: Yoda with Force Powers
DIGITS: PN 6096930800
FIGURE NUMBER: Deluxe Wave 3
ACCESSORIES: Super Battle Droid figure, Blast Effect, Lightsaber, Crane and Platform with Springboard

<CENTER>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</CENTER>

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
<CENTER>C-3PO
WITH DROID FACTORY ASSEMBLY LINE!
</CENTER>

Out of the two sets offered with Deluxe Wave 3, this one is my favorite. Ever since I first saw it at Celebration 2, I liked its overall appearance. In fact, being scene specific, there's more of a feeling you are actually buying something you've seen in action in the film. But despite my preference for it, the set could had used more dedication on its making.

<CENTER>ASSEMBLY LINE</CENTER>

There are three parts which recreate the assembly line: A conveyer belt/platform for the figures to be placed on and securely support them with the use of the provided pegs on it; a column that mounts behind the platform, and a rotating arm with two magnets at one end. The magnets conveniently placed at opposite sides, can hold and flip around both, the Battle Droid and C-3PO heads from figure to figure. On the top of the head of each figure there is an embedded metal piece which allows the magnetic arm to attract them and pull them out

The arm itself could had been made stronger since the plastic that was used is soft and easily bendable, sometimes making the removal and placement of the heads difficult.

<CENTER>C-3PO</CENTER>

Threepio is a much cleaner sculpt than the previous single carded one and not too much effort was put into paint detailing this new version. Basically 75% of his body is gray, including the head, only showing signs of weathering on the chest plate area.

His body panels are non-removable but instead his arms, legs and of course, head are. The idea behind this is so both, the Battle Droid and Threepio could interchange parts, adding up to some silly looking figure combinations.

The figure presents articulation at the neck, shoulders and hips. There was no articulation given to his waist, in fact, a step back when comparing it to April 23 version.

<CENTER>BATTLE DROID</CENTER>

The Battle Droid is movie accurate as far as its color is concerned, being offered in red. It is also, the first red battle droid available with peg holes under its feet which is something the previous Deluxe version with Mace Windu is in need of. The plastic used on the droid is stronger, not flimsy and bendable as with some other versions

The figure gets accessorize with a blaster rifle, a blast effect and a removable backpack which can be placed on Threepios back. And just like C-3PO, the Battle Droid's arms and legs can be pulled out and switched around with part's from the protocol droid. This is a cool feature but, if I remember correctly, only the heads were flipped around in the movie

Articulation was given to the neck, shoulders and hips. The figure lacks articulation at the head and elbows, another step back when comparing it to the basic one.

<CENTER>FIGURE INFORMATION</CENTER>

NAME OF FIGURE: C-3PO with Droid Factory Assembly Line
DIGITS: PN 6096930700
FIGURE NUMBER: Deluxe Wave 3
ACCESSORIES: Red Battle Droid figure, Blast Effect, Blaster Rifle, Assembly Line with Platform, Magnetic Arm

<CENTER>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</CENTER>

Take a look now at the detailed pictures below and feel free to make your own comments. Share your opinions with us; we'd love to hear what you think. Enjoy!

<CENTER>Ishi Tib</CENTER>

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
DELUXE YODA 1

Attachments

• attack of the clones wave2835tttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    attack of the clones wave2835tttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 325

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
DELUXE YODA 2

Attachments

• attack of the clones wave2835ttttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    attack of the clones wave2835ttttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 338

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
DELUXE YODA 3

Attachments

• attack of the clones wave2835tttttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    attack of the clones wave2835tttttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 315

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
DELUXE C-3PO 3

Attachments

• attack of the clones wave2835ttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    attack of the clones wave2835ttttttttttttttttt.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 301

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Ever since the movie came out I have always wanted that specific version of threepio. I am sooo happy that they made it.

And by the way Ishi, great pictures!!!:D :D :D :D

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Thanks Coruscantcosta for your kind words 'bout the pics.
Yup, me too. I also wanted that Threepio's version although I really feel they could had done a better job detailing the figures

The set as a whole looks good and it is based on an actual scene from the film which to me, is a plus.