Your Screen Resolution

What is your screen resolution?

• Total voters

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at global statistics on monitor resolutions and was curious if TBS followed the same trend. As of January 2006:
  • Screen size of 1024x768 = 57% of population
  • Screen size of 800x600 = 20% of population
  • Screen size of greater than 1024x768 = 17% of population
  • Unknown = 6%
If you don't know what your screen resolution is, it is generally defaulted to 800x600 on 15" monitors. On 17" monitors, the default resolution is generallly 1024x768. If you haven't adjusted your resolution, then it is probably set to the default value for your monitor size.

So...vote.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
For the curious, here's a breakdown of global browser stats. This is from April 2006.
  • Internet Explorer 6 = 57.3%
  • Firefox = 25.2%
  • Internet Explorer 5 = 5%
  • Mozilla = 2.5%
  • Opera = 1.5%
  • Internet Explorer 7 = 0.7%
  • Netscape = 0.4%
I wish the Firefox number was higher.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
If you'd like to get Firefox (which is the best browers for PC at the moment, imo), you can grab it here: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

I believe Internet Explorer 7 is supposed to come out in the first half of this year. I'm not sure that IE7 will be any better than Firefox, but it will certainly be better than IE6.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Totally agree - firefox is awesome!

Mozilla's email client - Thunderbird is also a great free product for the pc. Give it a try, you wont be disappointed!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Browser: Internet Explorer 5.1.7 for Macintosh :(

I can also use the iCab web browser currently at version 3.0, but I find it very slow since it often won't display anything until it's downloaded all the images. At least Exploiter usually displays the text while still getting the images.

Safari for the Macintosh can pretend to be other web browsers and no doubt some of the others can too, so automated statistics aren't hugely useful.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Buzz Bumble said:
Safari for the Macintosh can pretend to be other web browsers...statistics aren't hugely useful
Yeah, I threw those browser stats in this thread for fun. The only thing I'm really interested in at the moment is monitor resolution.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Of course screen resolution doesn't mean much either.

Most Mac users run their web browser (and every other application) in a window that is smaller than the screen. For example, my Internet Explorer window is usually set at roughly 1024x670 leaving a small gap at the bottom and top of the screen to allow for easy swapping to other appications and/or watching progress of other tasks. By the time you remove toolbars, scrollbars, etc. you left with a website view-size of roughly 730x525 or wider on the rare occasions that I hide the Favourites strip down the left-hand side.

Most Windows users on the other hand tend to run every application in full-screen, but even then things like the Start bar can take up some of that screen space.

Barada

Saboteur
Borsk already knows this, but I'm at 800x600.

Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but how do you distinguish what makes one browser better than another? Say, Firefox vs IE.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Barada said:
Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but how do you distinguish what makes one browser better than another? Say, Firefox vs IE.
From a developer's point of view, IE6 does not support many of the current web standards (and Firefox does). Therefore, a person could design something that is in total compliance with standards, yet doesn't render properly in IE. This is often dealt with by some sort of work-around (often using proprietary Microsoft functions). So, basically, you design a site to work with most browsers and then go back through and hack it up to work with IE.

From a designers point of view, there is a type of graphics file called PNG. This file has alpha transparency which allows a graphic to be partially transparent. GIFs also allow a portion of the image to be transparent, but in a binary fashion - a pixel is either transparent or it isn't. Most modern browsers support PNG alpha transparency, but IE does not (although it will with IE7).

From a users' point of view, Firefox is better because it does a better job of blocking pop-up ads and has better security. It also has tabbed browsing (which IE7 will have) and it tends to run faster.

IE6 is basically a 5 year old browser that Microsoft has been too lazy to seriously update. IE used to be the best browser. I believe Microsoft's plan was to wait to release IE7 with their new operating system. But, they changed that plan and are releasing IE7 seperately (probably because their next OS is delayed).

When IE7 comes out, then we can probably debate whether it's better than Firefox or not. As it stands, IE6 is well behind the times.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
FYI

If you want to give firefox a try, it has an option to import all your IE bookmarks.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Anything is better than Internet Explorer. Microsoft have a bad habit (as usual) of making up their own "standards" as they go along and expecting everyone else to follow them, which makes web site design even more difficult than it already is. :( Of course since "everyone" obviously uses it, lazy or novice web designers make their sites use IE's features and then wonder why their sites then have problems in all the other web browsers.

I forgot that I have also got Netscape Navigator 7.02 on this Mac - I rarely use it because it's extremely buggy and slow. (It won't even remember my user set-up! I have to re-create it every time I open the silly thing to test a web site.)

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
I have a 800x600 Resolution.

they do make a computer monitor at best buy that's: 3 FEET LONG!!!! talk about Resolution! It was huge!

RYAN J.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Yeah, big screeens are awesome. Played Battlefront II on a 42" plasma hooked up to a surround sound system a couple of times - that TOTALLY ROCKED!!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
RYAN-J said:
they do make a computer monitor at best buy that's: 3 FEET LONG!!!! talk about Resolution! It was huge!

A screen's physical size doesn't necessarily mean it has a higher resolution. It's possible to make a 15ft screen that only has 1 pixel, so it would have a resolution of 1x1 ... possible, but pointless. There's also people that have created "art" by using an entire skyscraper and turn the lights on or off in the windows - these would be huge in physcial size, but the "resolution" from all the windows is relatively minimal. :)

In fact, for TVs, the bigger screens have the exact same resolution as the smaller ones (since TV is broadcast at a set resolution), it's just the pixels are bigger to fill up the extra space. This is why huge screens are best viewed from further away than smaller ones.

In computers the resolution is based on the computer's graphics card - as long as your screen can actually display that resolution of course. For example my 17" screen can display resolutions from 512x384 right up to 1152x870 (I'm sure my old Apple screen could do more, but it broke :().

LCD screens also tend to have a higher resolution than a CRT (tube-based) screen of the same physical size. For example a 15" LCD screen is usually the same default resolution as a 17" CRT screen. This is thanks to the LCD screens being borderless while CRTs have to have a black border around the edges (although in some models it's hidden by the casing).

BUT having said all that, when are you buying me a 3ft screen, or even just a couple of Apple's brilliant 30" ones. ;)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
In regards to computer monitors, it seems that most people don't realize that you can adjust the resolution. So, even if you're on a 15" monitor, it does not mean that you're "locked in" to 800x600 pixels. Usually, you can bump it up one more notch to 1024x768.

Back in the day, people might commonly have a screen resolution of 640x480 pixels. At some point, 800x600 became the norm. And at some point 1024x768 will become the norm (actually, it is the norm, but there are still people on 800x600).

The point of the thread is to find out where the majority of the people that regularly use this site are.