What's more important in a postbit?

What's more important to see on someone's postbit?

• Their location

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Links to instant message them

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don't care about seeing either of these in their postbit. If I wanted to know, I'd look at their p

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Both are very important

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
vote

The postbit is the area that appears on the left of everyone's post message (with the avatar).

Phoenix7_1025

FLUFFY PINK RIGHTEOUSNESS
I like both. The location is more interesting, and the PM info more useful.

Though if I had to choose one, I'd want the PM info.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix7_1025 said:
I like both. The location is more interesting, and the PM info more useful.

Though if I had to choose one, I'd want the PM info.
When you say PM, I'm assuming you're NOT talking about the forum private message system. We're talking AIM, Yahoo, ICQ and MSN.

Do you think you instant message people often enough that it should be in their postbit? I hardly ever use it because anyone that I want to instant message is already in my IM 'buddy list'.

Anyway, the point of this poll is that I think we're junking up the postbit too much (and there's even a possibility of adding more to the postbit in the future). Look at my first post and how much room it takes up. The reason it's that size is not because of the size of my message, but the size of my postbit. This means more scrolling for you.

This is, by no means, a big deal. Although, when you mulitply the increase in size out over a thread with 10+ replies, I suppose it adds up.

We can leave it the way it is. Just testing the waters...

Phoenix7_1025

I do see what you're talking about. And I suppose I don't use the PM buttons very often. It's just a neat way of incorporating more methods of communication into the community.

The size isn't much of a problem for me, as I've got a decent screen res and I don't mind scrolling through short posts. But if you're planning to add more that would make small posts seem obnoxious, I don't suppose I would miss the PM buttons too much.

Barada

Saboteur
Borsk, as with you, anyone I talk with on a semi-regular basis is already in my 'buddy list'. It does serve a purpose though for someone that would like to get ahold of someone they've never spoken to before on IM.

I'm wondering if they could be moved to the bottom of the message post, perhaps beside the 'online status' and 'report bad post' icons. There seems to be quite a bit of space down there, and would make the postbit less 'cluttered'.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering if they could be moved to the bottom of the message post
Actually, that thought had occured to me. I wanted to get a feel for whether people would miss it if it got removed altogether and was only accessed through the profile screen.

Another option would be to place it in the dropdown that appears if you click on someone's name.

Phoenix7_1025

Most of the boards I frequent use phpbb2, in which the various email/profile/PM buttons are all arrayed at the bottom--seems to work well.

Another option for reducing the clutter at the left.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I need to make a few changes to get the images to line up properly, but this gives you an idea.

Phoenix7_1025

I'm a fan of the buttons on the bottom. Cleans up the side, and gives me a reason to look there--I didn't know what the blinking green icon was before this conversation.

>; )

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I take it the IM links have already been move to the bottom. That works for me. I don't really use them myself. I personally like knowing the location. I think it's an essential part of someone's identity/personality. Whether you're from New Zealand or Round-about-that-General-Direction ;)