Vintage Promotional Cardboard Standee

killjoy_sco

New Recruit
Hi there all,

I am not sure if this is of any interest to anyone but I have a vintage promotional Standee that I am thinking of selling.

It was found in an old video shop and passed on to me. As far as I can tell it is an original work from when the Empire Strikes Back on put on sale on video. I really like the artwork on it, although it has a bit of damage and to top of Darth's cape has be torn off.

It measures about 70 cm along the base and is about 60 cm tall.

Any thoughts on how common this type of thing is or if it is worth anything would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Attachments

• DSC01785.jpg
    DSC01785.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 369

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Vintage store displays can be quite desireable. Modern ones are much more common and and often have little value, even if they are "hard to obtain" or "rare".

You have a very attractive piece there. I looked in Tomart's Volume 2 and SW Super Collector's Wish Book Volume 4 and neither of them have this piece listed. This is not suprising as there are numerous displays in existence, and the displays is one of the weak points of the Super COllector wishbook. I happen to own several modern displays the wishbook does not have listed, and none of them are particularly rare.

In my opinion, your display could be worth a moderate amount to "The Right Person". If you were to list it on ebay however, you might only get $20. The problem is that it is carboard, has some damage, and is large enough to make it difficult to ship without damaging further. Also, because of it' size, shipping would also be expensive, espcially if shipping overseas.

I would say that because your display is from CBS/FOX home video, it is from the early to mid 1980's, a little bit after the big ESB movie release. Since it was probably used in some sort of video store or retail store, and is relatively small in size (as far as displays go), it was more likely to survive the years by going home with an employee. Larger displays were more likely not to be given away, and also more likely to be damaged and destroyed.

Overall, you have a very nice piece that anyone would be happy to have in their collection. I'd say it is probably worth $30-$100, in my opinion. But, selling it and making any real money might be difficult. I would recommend contacting Gus Lopez (he has a website, formerly known as ToysRGus...just do a google search). He specializes in hard to find items like displays and may be of more knowledge. He also recently put out a book, which might have this in it. I haven't picked up the book yet myself.

killjoy_sco

New Recruit
Thanks for the reply and all the info.

I think I will probably hold on to it. I am not much of a collector and I really love how it looks of my wall!

Thanks again for the help!