Tips on how to keep your Loose Star Wars action fi

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Tips on how to keep your Loose Star Wars action figures looking brand new.

By
Ryan James Littley

# 1 Keep action figures out of direct sunlight to slow down discoloration of head, arms, legs ECT.

# 2 cleans hands well before touching your figures. This is a BIG BIG factor in keeping excess oils from getting on the plastic and soaking in.

# 3 cleans your figures annually. I recommend using: equate Astringent Skin Cleaner,
See picture Below. This is the generic brand. The official brand name is Sea Breeze, which is more expensive.

Both brands can be found at Wal*Mart Stores in the health and beauty department. To use Apply to a Q-tip or Cotton ball and rub gently over the whole figure. It will help take most of the Dirt and oils off the figure. I can’t guarantee that this will work on every figure since I don’t own every figure, but it has worked on all of the one’s I own. It really does a great job on all my Clone Troopers.

Here’s a list of all the ingredients that are in the skin cleaner:

Water, Alcohol Denat. (46.5% V/V) Glycerin,
Benzoic Acid, Camphor (0.66%), Clove (Eugenia Caryophyllus)
Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Fragrance, FD&C Blue #1.

Distributed by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

MADE IN USA.

# 4 Do not store figures in plastic bags since this tends to discolor them Very quick!
It’s best to put them in an old sock or wash cloth and place them in a Rubbermaid tote.

You don’t have to worry much about the darker figures Example: Darth Vader, Wookiees, palpatine ect, Since it doesn’t really show. But it is good to keep the clean and shiny.

If you keep your figures in a Glass display cabinet you probably won’t have to clean them very often, but if you keep them on open shelves like me they tend to get dirty faster.

I hope this helps!! Good luck!

RYAN J.

equate Astringent Skin Cleaner:
ActionFigurecleaning.jpg

Barada

Saboteur
Ryan,

Your heart's in the right place, but there's a few things to mention here.

RYAN-J said:
# 1 Keep action figures out of direct sunlight to slow down discoloration of head, arms, legs ECT.

Not just sunlight, but also keep out of direct or excessive temperature fluctuations, especially high heat, and also humidity. All of these factors, not just sunlight, can discolor and otherwise degrade your figures.

RYAN-J said:
# 2 cleans hands well before touching your figures. This is a BIG BIG factor in keeping excess oils from getting on the plastic and soaking in.

Yes, it's a factor, but is a bit overstated here. I have figures 30 years old that I played with as a kid (with dirty, oily fingers), that have survived quite well. It is definitely advisable to use clean hands, but even the cleanest hands will contain traces of oily skin secretions and dirt.

RYAN-J said:
# 3 cleans your figures annually. I recommend using: equate Astringent Skin Cleaner,
See picture Below. This is the generic brand. The official brand name is Sea Breeze, which is more expensive.

Both brands can be found at Wal*Mart Stores in the health and beauty department. To use Apply to a Q-tip or Cotton ball and rub gently over the whole figure. It will help take most of the Dirt and oils off the figure. I can’t guarantee that this will work on every figure since I don’t own every figure, but it has worked on all of the one’s I own. It really does a great job on all my Clone Troopers.

Here’s a list of all the ingredients that are in the skin cleaner:

Water, Alcohol Denat. (46.5% V/V) Glycerin,
Benzoic Acid, Camphor (0.66%), Clove (Eugenia Caryophyllus)
Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Fragrance, FD&C Blue #1.

Distributed by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

MADE IN USA.

Be careful using store-bought cleaners. The alcohol can also have a chemical reaction with the plastic, which ends up actually making it worse than if you never touched them at all. Mild detergents work the best, such as liquid hand or dish soaps. I agree with using Q-tips though, as it helps to get the detailed areas without scouring the paint. A soft bristled toothbrush is another excellent tool for cleaning with.

Again, it is never a bad idea to clean your figures on a regular basis. For larger collections, annual is a good timeframe, as it's time-consuming, but even one year can show a thick layer of dust on your figures depending on your local climate.

RYAN-J said:
# 4 Do not store figures in plastic bags since this tends to discolor them Very quick!
It’s best to put them in an old sock or wash cloth and place them in a Rubbermaid tote.

You don’t have to worry much about the darker figures Example: Darth Vader, Wookiees, palpatine ect, Since it doesn’t really show. But it is good to keep the clean and shiny.

Regular plastic baggies are a bad idea. Very true. However, you can buy acetate-free bags from many hobby shops, and these will protect your figures from chemical reactions with the plastic of the bag itself. The other major danger with enclosed baggies is a lack of air circulation. This causes moisture to build up within the bag, and can lead to plastic deterioration. A simple solution is to cut one small corner off the baggie, or to poke some holes in it, and during storage, allow for air to reach these holes.

An old sock is bad for two reasons. One, they have many of the same oily skin residues on them that you tried to wash off your hands earlier, no matter how many times the sock is washed, which defeats the purpose. Also, many socks can be abrasive, and will actually help to scour the paint on your figures. The Rubbermaid container is fine though. ;)

One other thing - the darker figures WILL also discolor. Vintage Chewbacca's have problems with the brown limbs turning green, as do many other darker toned plastics. Plastic rot can also lighten the darker figures, leaving patchy spots on your nice black Vader. The other main concern with darker figures is mold. For some reason, the darker plastics are more susceptible to plastic mold than lighter ones, and this shows up with ugly white 'frosting' on the figure. A quick washing removes it on loose figures, while 10-20 minutes of direct sunlight (!) actually seems to take it away from carded figures.

Sorry if it seems I just cut up your entire post, but nearly 30 years of collecting has shown me many examples of plastic degradation, and also given me enough time to learn the 'ticks of the trade'.

Cheers,

Barada

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Thanks for the response barada!! I never even thought of extreme heat and oily socks. Next time I'll think harder before I post.

RYAN J.

P.S. Don't feel bad about cutting up my post, that's what a forum is for!! People sharing their ideas. seeing mistakes that the poster might not see.