Tin Sets...figure comparisons

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
So I got the three classic tin sets for Xmas :D I finally started opening them and looking at the figures in detail. While at first glance many are reissues.....there are some differences too. I don't have all the figures necessary to compare them...but I thought we could compare and contrast them together.

Episode IV: A New Hope
Sandtrooper
Princess Leia
Darth Vader
C-3PO

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Snowtrooper
Luke Skywalker
Han Solo
Chewbacca

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Scout Trooper
Darth Vader
Princess Leia
Rebel Commando

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
ANH

Leia appears to be the same as Early Bird Leia, with perhaps a darker (off-white) dress. My EB Leia is packed at the moment so I can't compare.

C-3PO is the same sculpt as Vintage-style OTC C-3PO. Again, with possibly a dirtier finish. I don't own a VOTC 3PO to compare to.

The Sandtrooper features the same VOTC-style body as other recent Stormtroopers (including the extra chest articualtion), only with a white pauldron. He comes with a blaster rifle, a backpack, and a thermal detonator canister. The canister can be stored in the backpack so as not to lose it....since only one or the other can be worn at a time. The silver lining to this figure is a removable helmet....making it the first non Luke/Han/Lucas Stormtrooper to have this feature. His face appears to be a new sculpt, similar to the AT-TE Clonetrooper. It features a light complexion, black hair, reddish eyes, and a scar running down the left cheek from over the eye.

The ANH and ROTJ Vader's appear to be the same at first glance, but are in fact differnt sculpts...sharing only common upper leg pieces. I don't have a VOTC Vader to compare to, but I'm guessing ANH Vader is mostly 500th Sculpt, while ROTJ is mostly VOTC sculpt. Here's ANH:

ANH Vader is copyright 2005, and has no "chain" for his cape. He has no hole in his belt for a spare hilt (ROTJ does), and only comes with a lit saber. His knees and elbows all ball jointed, and his shoulders are fully articulated. His chest box has red and green paint details. His inner robe is sculpted so it is over his chest armor. Finally, ANH Vader has a REMOVABLE helmet...showcasing a slightly younger Anakin head underneath.

Attachments

• TBS tin set 4.jpg
    TBS tin set 4.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 341

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
ESB

Luke and Han appear to be the same as the blue Saga figures, with slightly different paint jobs.

Chewbacca is the same as the Early Bird Chewie (and VOTC?), only with an altered paint job...primarily snow on his legs and lower arms.

Snowtrooper is the same sculpt as the blue Saga Snowtrooper, with a slighlty different paint job and a removeable helmet. The head appears to be the same sculpt as the sandtrooper...but differences in paint apps make it look significantly different. The main differnce between the heads though is gray paint apps on the facial scar..making it stand out.

Attachments

• TBS tin set 5.jpg
    TBS tin set 5.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 329

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
ROTJ

Vader is copyright 2004, has ball jointed knees (different than ANH Vader), and angled swivel elbow joints. His chest box features blue and red paint details, and his inner robe is sculpted UNDER his chest armor. His cloak has a silver "chain". He come with an extra saber hilt which can be attached to a hole in his belt. His helmet is not removable.

Princess Leia is in her Ewok dress, and appears to be a re-tooling of the soft goods incarnations of this figure (the other previous incarnation was all plastic, tall, and appropriated painted, wheras the soft goods version featured a pink dress and came in a 2-pack) . She has soft goods braids and a fabric skirt, this time in an appropriate brown color.

The Endor Rebel Commando is a repaint of the POTF2 figure, this time with darker green camoflauge and a new head. The head a bearded caucasian with a balding head (who happens to bear a resemblence to Borsk ;) ), and is on a ball-socket neck with a removable helmet.

Lastly, the Scout Trooper is the same sculpt as the Vintage Style Scout Trooper, with a dirty paint app and different head. The is the same as the trooper that came with the Endor AT-AT, featuring a flip up visor revealing his face.

Attachments

• TBS tin set 6.jpg
    TBS tin set 6.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 335

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
TPM

This set is at first glance entirely rehash....but appearances can be deceiving.

Darth Maul is identical to the Evolutions Darth Maul..only without the plastic cloak.

Obi-Wan appears to be a re-release...or possibly a frankenstein of other previous Obi-Wans. I haven't figured out for certain what yet.

Qui-Gon may also be a frankenstein. It looks a lot like the Poncho Qui-Gon from the POTJ series, minus the poncho.

R2-R9, however...is new. :p True, R2-R9 is the droid that came with the Queen's starship. However, this is a different figure. The body is a more recent astromech body, complete with fully sculpted wires on his feet, a periscope, and the tell-tale body panel affixed to the front of it's body-cylinder....probably covering a connecting screw or something. So...while it is the same character and almost the same in appearance.....it's different figure. A curious twist..which not only takes advantage of a better sculpt...but preserves the "rarity" of the original figure.

***According Rebelscum's review...Obi-Wan is the POTJ version, only with a different peg to hold the commlink. Qui-Gon is the Episode I soft goods version , with new soft goods.***

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
AOTC

This set has a re-paint....a frankenstein..and apparently two re-releases.

Dooku is identical to the Evolutions Dooku. The only variance I could see is that this version has slightly lighter hair.

Anakin I think is the same as his Evolutions counterpart. Mine is packed..so I can't compare,but it's a well done figure with a good head sculpt....vinyl vest...and articulated joints.

Jango Fett is a franeknstein combining 2-3 previously released figures. He has a 2-piece non-firing backpack, a removeable helmet, and working holsters for his blasters.

The blue Clone Leiutenant is a repaint of the Evolutions Clone Trooper, complete with blaster and removeable helmet, and a clean paint job.

Attachments

• TBS tin set 2.jpg
    TBS tin set 2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 333

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
ROTS

This set is mostly re-hash.

Mace Windu has a slashing action when you squeeze his legs...if I had to guess....I'd say he's the ROTS MAce minus his cloak. I don't have that figure so I'm not sure.

Yoda is one the ROTS Yoda figure (not the spinning attack one, but the other)...that was re-released in the Saga line and as a part of the Senate Skirmish battle pack. This time around he has a cloth cloak, in addition to his lightsaber and cane.

Anakin I think is identical to the Evolutions figure.....again...can't compare at this time. It's a very nice figure with a cloth cloak. Excellent facial likeness, unlike most of the ROTS Anakin figures.

The AT-RT driver is the same as the carded version of the figure...only with a white paint job. It has removeable battle-damaged chest armor and a bulky blaster rifle.

Attachments

• TBS tin set 3.jpg
    TBS tin set 3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 316

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
His is the artwork on the tins. The Cantina Band set (not pictured) has artwork from the cover of We Don't Do Weddings: The Band's Tale audiobook.

Attachments

• TBS Tin sets 1-6.jpg
    TBS Tin sets 1-6.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 311