The Battle of Hoth

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
Originally posted by chris solo
The AT-ATs purpose was to penetrate the shield (walk on through) and destroy it to allow an air or space assalt.

the slow blade penetrates the shield... (Dune)

Originally posted by Zepp
As for not using the X-Wings and TIEs in the atmosphere I think that is fully appropriate. Their power supplies would be rapidly depleted in an atmospheric battle. The ammount of energy used to fly in space without friction is a far sight less than the energy it would take to resist gravity and fly... The TIEs especially would get nearly zero lift from their wings...

I figure the Ties would deffinately get zero lift. What it all boils down to I feel is if the whole trilogy was just X-Wings and Ties it would be boring.

Gunships weren't a concern when putting together the original movies. When I was a kid and saw those AT-ATs approaching I was in awe of their size. What a cool looking vehicle I thought. It was scary to see them comming.

They gave a slow steady advance, a suspenseful feeling of iminant dread. Gunships would have made a fast high paced more even apperance to the battle. The feeling at the start was that nothing could stop the advance of the AT-ATs.