Stuck At Ground Zero in Land Dispute

Barada

Saboteur
This isn't good. This is happening three blocks from my house.

I live in a small town of about 14,000 people. Over half of them live in the surrounding farmlands. There may be 6000 people in town with me. We have one major road that passes through our town from north to south, with a small road connecting us to the next town west of us, and a major highway that bypasses around us on the east. The only access to that highway is from either the north or south end of town. Oh, and to leave town to the north, we need to cross the Grand River, the largest river in Southern Ontario, which flows right through downtown. Access is via one large bridge.

Our town is small enough that I can walk from one end to the other in 30 minutes. We have only three traffic lights, and only one grocery store, with no department stores, but are a 20 minute drive down the highway from a major city with 1/2 million people in it. Small town community but close to all amenities is a good way to describe it here.

Anyway, the fires started in the south end effectively blocked any way in or out of town at that end. Thankfully, the big city is north of us, and access to the highway there is unimpeded. A second fire was started this afternoon 5 minutes north on the highway, and all side roads in the area are closed. Now, this evening, an abandoned bridge in the middle of town was ignited. Three fires in three different locations around and even in town within 12 hours. These people mean business.

The police have closed access to that road at the intersection right down the street from me, only three residential intersections away. The actual standoff is on a plot of land I can walk to in 5 minutes or less.

Now, the Provincial Police have closed the major highway that surrounds the town on the east. They reduced the highway leading north to one lane, and to pass through the police stops, you need to provide ID. The only road out of town not closed or seriously impeded is the one to the west, and that makes the 20 minute drive to the city into one that would take over an hour. Our one grocery store just happens to be right on the intersection where the protests are happening, and they closed the doors with a sign saying "For the Safety of Our Staff, Closed Until Further Notice". Two of the town's three schools have been closed (one because it's playground fence borders the occupied land, and the high school because there are fears that the mixed native/non-native population may begin racially motivated fights on school property).

Hundreds of native people from across Canada and the US are here in this protest, and hundreds more are expected overnight as I write this. We have 1000 police either on the scene or waiting for the call to join in, from several neighbouring townships, and apparently at least 200 members of the Canadian Army are waiting 15 minutes away at the nearby airport for a call to move in. Everyone is hoping for a peaceful resolution, but the police are going to enforce the cease and desist court order they have, and the protesters are apparently willing to do what it takes to stay.

To put it as simple as possible, we are nearing complete isolation from the rest of the world right now, with a war brewing down the street from my house. I am fully expecting to start hearing gunfire within the next day or so. :(

Ian (Barada)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Do you live in Waco or Canada?

I'd say a Star Wars marathon, perhaps followed by a LOTR (extended edition) marathon, is in order.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Wow. I hope everythings calms down. :( What's the actual issue the Mohawks have? I gather it has something to do with a housing project?

Barada

Saboteur
Thanks for the support guys. The police have brought in extra help to keep the community safe. Every single street in the area has a van parked 24 hours a day with about a dozen cops inside. They are there specifically to make sure nothing starts up in the streets, so I think we're relatively safe for the moment.

Today, they have started igniting fires all along the national rail lines, which has cancelled all trains for hundreds of miles around, both passenger and industrial.

Here's the bridge in town they lit last night.

20060420090909990001.jpg

darthskelington said:
What's the actual issue the Mohawks have? I gather it has something to do with a housing project?

In the 1800's, the government granted 20 km of land on either side of the Grand River to native communities. Soon after, they bought back some of the land in order to establish a few towns, including the one I live in, and the deal was that in exchange for selling the land, the government would put money into projects concerning them.

In 1995, they launched a lawsuit that claimed the government never held their end of the bargain, and that the land was leased, not bought. A protest back then elsewhere in the province ended up with a gunfight that killed one protester.

Now, they have started the latest protest because a new subdivision is being built on the land they contest is theirs. Apparently, there are bad feelings because new communities are coming in, yet they cannot guarantee clean water on their reserve 10 minutes away. They are refusing to allow the construction and are protesting until their issues are dealt with.

Ian

mynock11

Sith Medic
hey barada i know i dont live very far from you so if u need a place to stay for a bit. you could pack up ur collection i have a very large garage to store it... anyway good luck up there i hope it gets over with quickly..

Barada

Saboteur
Thanks Will. The collection will have to stay if I'm forced to leave. I'd need a U-Haul truck to move it all. Seriously. ;)

If it gets violent, I'll just move the family down to either my parent's or my father-in-law's place. Well, provided the streets aren't blocked off anyway. ;)

Ian

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
I'm very sorry you have to deal with such a stressful situation, Barada. Please keep us posted. You'll be in my thoughts.

Barada

Saboteur
We made CNN!

Things have calmed down a bit. Talks to end this have resumed. The police have no intentions to move in again unless necessary. The leaders of the Six Nations have asked supporters from other native communities to stay away.

Of course, if talks break down, police will be forced to try to remove them again, and the people have said very bluntly that they will fight before they leave. They claim to be unarmed, even though many are carrying axes and bats, and if anyone thinks that no one at all is armed, they're incredibly naive.

Barada

Barada

Saboteur
Turns Nasty

Last night, there was a rally for town citizens to protest the protest :p

Here's me, right in it. I'm wearing the blue hat, just under and to the right of the sign. Next to it, a scene from the chaos.

Protest.jpg
160X_cp_protest1_060425.jpg

From one of our national news sites:

Tensions heated up earlier that evening, when a crowd of about 3,000 gathered at a rally over the ongoing dispute, now in its seventh week.

Although organizers called for a quick, peaceful resolution, heated arguments started breaking out in the crowd, which was located about 400 metres from the native occupiers.

400 metres? We were on the other side of town! I told you Caledonia was small. ;) One guy jumped up on the podium at the end, and started screaming that we should stop paying our taxes until our roads are re-opened. He was instantly arrested, amid cheering and shouts of 'Let him speak' from the crowd.

However, this was largely uneventful, besides the arguments, and a HUGE round of boos when the provincial police went to the podium to make a statement. After it was over, though, it got really nasty. I didn't participate, but did see it going down.

The confrontation came after 500 non-natives stormed a police line Monday night, with residents yelling insults at the protesters and calling for them to end their standoff.

They waved Canadian flags and called for police to "let us through" and "open the road."

The residents outnumbered the 100 police on site, who had been keeping them about 200 metres from the native protesters, who also numbered about 500.

When a non-native was arrested at the scene, the crowd of residents surrounded the police cruiser. Some people jumped on the car, and others tried to hang on to the windows as the car drove away.

This came VERY close to a riot. Thankfully, it didn't get any worse, and the crowd broke up by about midnight.

More than ever, I think this is going to end very badly.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Turns Nasty

If you had followed my advice, you'd be in the 22nd hour of the Lord of the Rings trilogy marathon (with a movie and a half yet to go) and you would have avoided all of this. :p

Good luck though. I'd think as long as you're not out in the open, you'll avoid most of the problems.

Barada

Saboteur
Hi everyone.

We are OFFICIALLY labelled as being in a state of emergency, and the rest of my family is evacuating tonight.

Starting on Friday evening, angry and frustrated townspeople set up their own barricade to prevent the native protesters from being able to travel from the protest site to their own community. Tensions rapidly escalated.

Things stayed that way until yesterday. At about 10 am, the natives said that if our barricade was removed, they would leave the area. They even took down their barricade that has been restricting our road for the last couple of months.

At noon, angry townspeople ignored the peace gesture, and swarmed into the protest site, starting fistfights and hurling rocks at each other.

Still, within an hour, the native people brought forward a symbolic tree branch, and in a last ditch attempt at peace, they gave the towspeople an offer to have everyone remove all barricades on both sides, or else they would dig in for the long haul.

The stupid idiots started throwing more things at the native people. Within minutes, the native protesters had a bulldozer fired up, and dug a trench across the road, destroying any chance of using the road.

Then, as of 2 pm, someone knocked over a hydro pole and destroyed the local power transformer, which is located in the same area as the occupation site. We have been without any electricity now for close to 24 hours.

All businesses and schools are closed, and many people have evacuated the town. Helicopters are almost constantly flying overhead since last night, which I assume are news teams. The mayor is calling for the army to be brought in, and practically EVERYONE believes that this is going to escalate very quickly, and bloodshed is now considered almost a question of when it's going to happen, and not if it will happen.

The police are on a gag order, where they are doing nothing, but arresting townspeople that try to cross the barriers. There must be dozens of provincial police cars on the scene, and last night there were 30 cops in riot gear.

I'm at my parent's house right now typing this, as I moved all our food here to keep it from going bad. The power may take as long as 48 more hours to be restored - and that is assuming the native protesters allow the repair trucks access, and no damage is done after repairs are made.

If the power is still off by dinnertime tonight, my wife and son are moving to her dad's place until things are resolved. I will be staying at our house with plenty of flashlights, the BBQ to cook anything I do have, and a nice sturdy baseball bat, with the sole intention of making sure no looters or vandals try to break in.

I am scared ****less by what lies ahead, and I probably won't be online until power is restored, as I have no intention on leaving the house unoccupied three blocks from what may become a warzone anytime today or tomorrow.

Take care everyone, and hopefully I'll be back sooner rather than later.

Ian

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Oh My gosh! I will be praying for everything to go well. I can't even Amagine what thIS must feel like.

RYAN J.

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
I'm so very sorry, Barada. You're still in my thoughts. Please continue to keep us updated. I hope everything is resolved soon.

mynock11

Sith Medic
boy i wish i could be up there to help protect your stuff with ya. Im sure the last thing they need up there is a hot headed wop foreigner.... My thoughts are with you buddy!!! good luck!

Barada

Saboteur
Well, I'm back, at least for now, and much sooner than predicted.

The power was restored this morning about 6:15 am, ending the outage after about 40 hours.

My neighbour and I sat around a firepit in my backyard half the night, and watched as cop cars patrolled the streets periodically. Both of us had sent our families to relatives in another city to spend the night, and both of us were nervous about how dark and quiet it was.

In the end, nothing did happen. Whether that was due to the fact someone was home or there were no looters/troublemakers out there, I don't know. I think I made the right choice to stay, but I hope we don't go through this again.

The road barrier has been taken down, and the road through town has been reopened.

Thanks for the wishes guys.

Ian