RoTs on VHS!?!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I haven't been able to check yet and hopefully they'll have some left when I can check on Sunday, but reportedly The Warehouse chain of shops here in New Zealand is selling "Episode III: Return of the Sith" on VHS tape as well as DVD. The VHS version costs NZ$19 (about US$13).

The Warehouse also has some branches in Australia (although they might be called something else there because they bought out a chain of Australian shops), so it might be worth checking there too if you're interested.

Maybe I will get to complete my VHS collection!! :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Yippee!!

{Vader voice}
My collection will be complete.
{/Vader voice}

One of my Star Wars collections anyway.

Hopefully they won't have sold out by tomorrow since I can't get there today - I might have to do my old "around the Warehouse branches" trip to find a copy (there's four nearish to me, and then I'll have to start travelling further / making phone calls). :)

I think the VHS copies were produced for the rental chains only, but somehow the Warehouse and a few other places have apparently got hold of shipments.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It doesn't say anything on the box about being widescreen, so I'm guessing it's full frame, which is fine for me since it matches the rest of my VHS collection. I didn't even look to see if there was a widescreen version as well.

The label on the cassette itself does say:
"Only for distribution in Australia and authorised Pacific regions."​

But
the VHS version has now reportedly turned up in UK shops as well. Here's two quotes from the Usenet Newsgroups ...
"I have just seen this for £15.99 in the Grimsby Woolworths store here in the UK."

"It's available in the UK as well. I saw it in Tesco today as I ran past the VHS isle in terror."​

Both the UK and Australian versions will be PAL of course.

I would offer to get a PAL VHS version for anyone who wants one, but postage from here at the end of the planet would likely double the price. :(

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
Strange they have distributed it on this format after they said they were not going to. The tape does look legit though judging from the images over at MouseDroid.com

Mr.MojoRisin

New Recruit
Y'know, I don't even buy VHS anymore, but it would be cool to complete the saga. I'd hate for all of those years spent collecting the other SW movies on VHS to be unforfilled.

MprimeX

Notorious Bounty Hunter
I thought the market quit selling VHS cassettes.
what I mean is...all the latest movies only come out on DVD and PSP.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
They still release new movies on VHS. You can go buy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on VHS at Amazon. So, for some reason, they're still supporting the VHS format. I don't even have a working VCR anymore though.

ROTS just isn't one that seems to have been widely released on VHS.

If I remember, I bought The Phantom Menace on VHS because there was some delay in releasing a DVD version. I only got the DVD version of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Borsk said:
If I remember, I bought The Phantom Menace on VHS because there was some delay in releasing a DVD version. I only got the DVD version of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.
i think they delay was to get more $$$. they knew people would buy the VHS before the dvd just to have the movie.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Borsk said:
They still release new movies on VHS. You can go buy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on VHS at Amazon. So, for some reason, they're still supporting the VHS format. I don't even have a working VCR anymore though.

It's mostly kids' movies that are still released on VHS (the idea is that the kids' have the old VHS box in their bedroom now that the parents have the DVD box in the lounge), but even those are fading out now that DVD / hard drive recorder devices are reaching sensible prices. They do still make DVD / VHS combo devices and even DVD-record / VHS combo devices now for those who want to save space and still access their old video collection.

I have a few DVDs (including all the Star Wars ones), but no DVD drive to put them in yet.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Most places sell DVD players at really low prices. If you pay more than $60 for one, you didn't shop around. I still have a functional vcr, but its main function in recent years has been as a clock ;)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I wouldn't even pay 60c for a DVD player. It makes more sense to get a DVD recorder - preferably one with a hard drive in it or one with a VHS recorder in it if you're replacing the VHS box as well (and still want to access you VHS collection) ... even better would be one with a hard drive AND a VHS recorder, but I haven't seen one of those yet. :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Buzz Bumble said:
I wouldn't even pay 60c for a DVD player. It makes more sense to get a DVD recorder - preferably one with a hard drive in it or one with a VHS recorder in it if you're replacing the VHS box as well (and still want to access you VHS collection) ... even better would be one with a hard drive AND a VHS recorder, but I haven't seen one of those yet. :)
You could splurge and get a Blue-ray DVD player whenever they come out.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
you could always just use your PC ;)

Not as mental as it might sound at first thought.....

A decent TV card for a pc is generally reasonably cheap. With a lot of these you get what is essentially vcr software, so you can record anything you like, straight to hard disk.

DVD writer drives are mostly bundled with PC's these days or can be purchased very cheaply on their own.

some friends of mine have built their own machines (admittedly with massive hard disks), installed windows media centre edition, purchased some clever software (for about $60) and ended up with probably the coolest setup I've seen anywhere.

Not only can they record from the cable / digital tv, they can download stuff and of course browse the web and do emails, all with the same machine. They even got a remote for the pc that controls all the tv / vcr functions.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Building your own machine to record stuff would definately be a better way to go than getting a dvr (such as tivo or through your cable provider). You just have the expense and time of setting up the machine, plus you'd want to find some software that will grab the tv schedule for your area. I'm pretty sure there are guides floating around that tell you how to go about it.

A dvr is just less of a hassle.