OT on DVD?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lucas declares that the Original Star Wars Trilogy will NEVER be released in DVD as Originally Seen in theaters!!!
«
"Gone for all time will be the original work of John Dykstra and his innovative motion control work in the original Star Wars. Gone will be the original beauty of the Death Star explosion. Gone will be the original rhythm of the Cantina scene and the exchange between Solo and Greedo. Future generations will never know the wondrous model work, we'll never have preserved the initial miracles that the wizards at ILM created. Those original editions, those mistakes, they're glorious. They are the original footprints that led special effects out of darker times."
«
Read the full story at AICN

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
NEVER :l

Well, it seems as though they are going to ruin them because EpII was the worst yet.

Maybe we should make a really big petition with 1 +some zeros
Telling him to not edit the special edition, but if he likes making movies so much, make some sequels to the original trilogy.

Then we can buy 300 more action figures
6 more DVDs
See 20 more bad actors like Hayden Christensen

And the action figures would be really nice. Im sick of them making 20 chewbaccas with different accessories and putting them on different color cards. I wonder if they make variations on purpose so that everybody will have to buy two of the same figure with a different colored eye.

The Answer is 90% probably.

I think Hayden did a good job...and noone can tell me otherwise. I loved EII. I like the Special Editions. I also don't mind all the "rehashes", resculpts and new cardbacks. I personally think that makes collecting interesting. Also in the same respect to the new cardbacks and such. Not every 5 year old kid has POTF Red Card Chewbacca. They could probably care less. They just want A Chewbacca. And new people come along that want We aren't the only ones that buy these things you know. I am not saying this to you directly CC, just in general! :)

Barada

Saboteur
Lucas should release them like last year's E.T. set, with one disc containing the updated version, and the other disc with the original version. That would make everyone happy, and they could still sell for a standard price. Two discs would leave tons of room for extras as well.

I agree with CloneCommanderBry about Hayden. He is actually a good actor, placed in a role where he was supposed to be a whiner. The romantic scenes may have been a little awkward, but otherwise I think he hit the character dead on.

As far as figures go, we have another 15 years now before Hasbro's licence runs out, so everyone had better just be prepared for plenty of rehashed figures. It is highly unlikely we'll be seeing never before seen characters made in the year 2015.

Barada

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
The only problem i have with the new versions of the OT is that scene with han and jabba (anh). It just seems like they could have done that better. I prefer that greedo never fires a shot before han wastes him but i'm ok with the new version.
The call belongs to lucas but i think he owes something to the fans and I don't see why he couldn't release both versions on DVD. Maybe he releases the new versions one year and the originals the next. How many different sets were released on VHS? I doubt that we will see only one set released.
I think that what we see get released on DVD first, is an even newer version of the OT. I don't think that John Williams re-scored ANH just for kicks to include the imperial march.
After the saber battles that we have seen come out of EP1, EP2 and surely EP3, the saber duel between vader and obi-wan in ANH is quite a let-down. Perhaps lucas will correct scenes like this. If they can make christoper lee do what he did in aotc, then I don't see why they could not improve that scene as well as some others. If we're getting something other than the original version, then they need to go all out and while they're at it, go back and fix yoda in EP1.

As far as the figures go, i don't have a problem with resculpts as long as they're improving on the figure. We have seen some really nice figures come out of hasbro in the past few years but we have also seen some junk... several of which just came out, such as the yoda and chair.

I think in Lucas' mind the Special Editions are the only editions of the OT. They are what he wanted them to be. So even though we consider them different, he considers them the same movie just improved. Does that make any sense? I agree with Barada it would be nice to have both like the did with ET, but I don't care either way. I prefer the Special Editions over the originals anyday...at this point I think the one thing we all agree on is that we just want the OT on DVD...original or not! ;-)

Originally posted by Barada
He is actually a good actor, placed in a role where he was supposed to be a whiner. The romantic scenes may have been a little awkward, but otherwise I think he hit the character dead on.

Right on Barada! If you don't like Hayden as Anakin, than Hayden did his job. I don't blame Hayden or Natalie for the awkwardness of the romantic scenes, that is just Georges poor writing. They did the best they could out of what they were given.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
It's just hard to switch from obi-wan trying to unravel this mystery and fighting with Jango on a very dark and rainy planet to ... Padme and Annie rolling around in the flowers. It looked ackward for them and it was ackward for the audience but it wasn't long before they were back to obi.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I think the scream as luke falls down the shaft in ESB ranks up there with Greedo's shot in ANH.

Can we get Natalie Portman, wearing "Geonosis Gear" in all of the movies for the DVDs? ...the directors definitive vision of the series.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It is highly unlikely we'll be seeing never before seen characters made in the year 2015.
Barada

Not so. I vaguely recall reading something recently about Hasbro planning to make more figures of EU characters - there's already a HUGE number of those with no figure yet, and more novels / comics / etc. arriving all the time.

:eek:)

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Awww, I always liked the OT better than the SE's, I'm sad that they won't be on DVD. But I guess SE's are better than nothing. :(

Barada

Saboteur
CoruscantCosta,

You may be correct about the world of EU being largely unexplored. However, I was referring to characters from the movies. I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't care less about more EU figures. I buy them now because there are so few, and I want to be a completist. If in, say, eight years all we're getting is figures based on characters not in the films, and the occasional Darth Maul and Luke Tatooine versions #27, you can count me out of the figure hobby.

I try to keep a positive attitude about this hobby, but remember this. The original Kenner line of vintage figures, which were WAY more popular during the run of the original trilogy, fizzled out after eight years. This year marks the eighth year since POTF2 was introduced, and it has already been close to extinction a couple of times. Whatever your personal feelings are on the prequels to date, they are the only thing keeping the line alive right now for anyone but the true diehards. What is going to maintain fan interest a year or two after the final film? Don't tell me EU. Some fans will be excited about that possibility, but it won't hold up on its own for long.

Again, look at the vintage Droids and Ewoks series. For all intents and purposes, these were both EU lines, and both failed miserably after the first or second wave. I think today's EU market is stronger than this, but I'd give it four, maybe five waves, and it'll be history.

Sorry about the rant, but I had to get that off my chest. I still love this hobby, and at least for the moment, have no intention on ever giving up. I simply have no faith that the line can continue without new characters based on the films. Perhaps they'll restart the line in a new scale, which opens up a whole other can of worms, and not one I'll start on now. This discussion is already heading off topic.

Barada

ephantmon

New Recruit
THAT STINKS

all the eu characters are cool and every thing but i want to see the origanal trilagy on DVD because every VCR i have is crap and VCR's in general are disapering so the onley way i can get it on DVD is if i get one of those things that you can record videos on to disks and i still won't get any special feature.

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Huh?

o. that was BuzzBumble. Not me. We have the same icon.

THE ALMIGHTY WICKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!