News: Star Wars Celebration IV in Los Angeles To Mark 30th Anniversary of Saga

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Besides the location, I guess the fact that they're only admitting fan club members on the first day is the big news.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
One of the highlights for fans at a Star Wars convention is the chance to buy unique merchandise, including an exclusive, limited-edition action figure. Because this has led to bottlenecks and long lines in the past, the Celebration IV store will be bigger than ever, self-service, well-stocked with merchandise, have plenty of check-out lanes...and be open 24 hours a day from the opening of the show on Thursday until the close on Monday!

We are particularly focused on dramatically improving the selection and service in the Celebration store."

sounds good... i guess we will see

Barada

Saboteur
DAMMIT!

I might be out of this one already, and I swore I wouldn't miss a 4th one.

I get 3 weeks of vacation a year, from June 1 to May 31. In July, my work is having a two-week shut down, and we are all forced to use 2 of our vacation weeks. That leaves only one week for when I want it. Since this thing runs from Thursday to Monday, it will require 2 weeks booked off to cover it all.

Add to this hassle the cost of flight and hotels in L.A., and there is a good chance it's priced itself out of my ability to go.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Re: News: Star Wars Celebration IV in Los Angeles

Barada said:
my work is having a two-week shut down, and we are all forced to use 2 of our vacation weeks.
That is lame. It sorta defeats the purpose of having vacation time.

Barada

Saboteur

I agree. They claim that they aren't busy enough to stay open while our customers are shut down, so they shut down too.

The alternative is that they give us all layoff notices for two weeks with no pay, and then we can take all three weeks as we choose. Not a good alternative...

Barada

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith

Pretty nasty situation. Still, from the wording of the announcement it sounds like they're going to flood the market with the 'exclusive', plus keep the store open round the clock. From that, its unlikely that anyone will miss out on any figure they might want!

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member

Any improvement to the store would be awesome.

I'm going to look for hotels now. ;) Something within walking distance for sure. And I guess I have to join the fan club next year. :rolleyes:

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos

Memorial Day weekend kinda sucks for anyone in retail, and just on principal because it's a holiday. On the plus side, be cause there's no movie effecting the celebration date, all the high school and college students can now attend without fear of bombing their finals.

The date worries me, but otherwise it sounds pretty good. :)

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
i'm going to be close to getting there but it will be tight. Saving mode now on..The dates are not that bad for me, just have to book vacation time ahead with work. i won't have to worry about a family to bring this time (save costs there), just the #$%^ huge airfares to worry about....:eek:

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith

The date makes no difference to me, although with everyone in the USA having that holiday wekend anyway, maybe they're hoping for a big turnout.

Making the first day a 'fan club only' one is a really pathetic way of getting members. Must have been a lot of people not bothering with it this year!