Lucas wants 'Star Wars' film banned

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Star Wars creator George Lucas wants his first sequel to be banned, as it is so embarrassingly poor.

The Star Wars Holiday Special was broadcast in 1978 on the CBS network and followed Chewbacca's journey home with Hans Solo to celebrate Life Day with his family.

A high point of the film is a scene in which Princess Leia reduces Solo and Luke Skywalker to tears with a heart-rending song.

IMDB quotes a source at Lucasfilm as saying: "The Holiday Special was the biggest f***-up ever. The Force was definitely not with Mr. Lucas the day that doozy was born."

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Yeah, but we've all watched it anyway, right?

I remember seeing it on TV as a kid (yes, I'm THAT old) and thinking it was rubbish even then. Its worth keeping around as an example of what network execs (or any so-called "management team") can do if left to their own devices.

Its saving grace has always been the Boba Fett cartoon :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I still haven't seen it, thus making it intriguing, ellusive, and cool. One of these years I'll get a copy and will proudly be able to vouch that it is in fact abntha poodoo :D

Until then, I'd still like to own a copy somehow. I think someone gave me a link once, in fact I probably still have it, I just can't really download it with my horrible dial-up.

Not to mention my monitor went out on me last night, so I must resort to using a neighbor's computer :(

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I hope the monitor incident wasn't brought on by the thought of watching the Holiday Special. Its bad, possibly the worst peice of television of all time, but even its power shouldn't be bad enough to fry circuits...

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
Darth Boru said:
Yeah, but we've all watched it anyway, right?

I remember seeing it on TV as a kid (yes, I'm THAT old) and thinking it was rubbish even then. Its worth keeping around as an example of what network execs (or any so-called "management team") can do if left to their own devices.

Its saving grace has always been the Boba Fett cartoon :)
I have a copy of it, and I keep it because of the Fett cartoon. It was the first time Fett was introduced to the public.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
LOL No, the Holiday Special didn't have any influence over my monitor,or at least I don't think it did ;)

I actually managed to get it working today, after diassembling it even more than I did Friday. The little on/off button had broken maybe a year ago, and was stuck in the ON position. No problem. As it turns out, somehow it switched off, and I had no way to turn it back on. After two hours tinkering, I managed to rip the button out of there and it works fine. I just have to use a pencil (or convenient Geonosian Fighter Missile) to turn it on or off.

In sad news, this means I will not be getting a fancy flat-panel monitor any time soon :( ....... which I didn't have the money for anyway.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Maybe its for the best, you wouldn't want to risk exploding (or vapourising or whatever it is they do) a fancy new flat panel by watching THS on it anyway ;)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yeah, well my computer is on the blink once again. :mad: Two problems, possibly connected. My right speaker is hissing, and no sound is being played/sent out to the speakers (even when it should be). All cords are connected properly.

Second problem, whenever my PC is on, and jacked into the wall, it takes the phone off the hook, thus I cannot get a dial tone and get online. Or use the phone..... Grrr...Arrgh.

So, i'm back to using the neighbors computer for a while. There's probably not a simple solution, but if anyone does know the magic word that fixes this, please let me in on it. ;)

There was a bad storm, but I have no reason to suspect the phone line got hit by lightning, as teh computer otherwise works fine. :(

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Something to try :-

Turn off the PC.

Plug your modem into the phone line.

Plug your phone handset into the other socket in your modem (most I've seen have this feature, not positive all do).

Try and make a call.

If you still can't, then your modem definitely has a fault of some sort.

On the sound front, silly as this might be, have you checked the software volume controls etc? Maybe someone else used the PC and changed these or something?