Life in Hoth...

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
On my way to Texas tomorrow morning. Looks like it will be in the 70s most of the week. We will be in Houston part of the week and Austin the rest of the time. I probably won't be around a computer long enough to log in, so I'll catch you all sometime next year! I hope everyone has a happy and safe New Year's celebration.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Hmmm......if you're going from Kentucky to Houston, you're probably going through Shreveport, LA and possibly even Marshall, TX. If so, you'll be passing only a couple miles from where I work. Small world, eh?

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
Guess what guys the impossible happened. It snowed on Christmas day in New Orleans. Crazy, eh? Huge snowflakes too not just flurries. It was great. I checked and it was the first snow down here since 1989. I even threw a snowball! Of course nobody warned me of the dangers of high heeled boots and ice so I spend most of my outside time with my family clinging to people's arms until I got home and changed into some flat boots. Then more frolicking ensued. Well, just thought I'd let you guys know.

Barada

Saboteur
Lol,

A few years ago, there was a guy I talked to regularly from just outside Atlanta, GA. He told me one winter that they just had a 'blizzard'. Stores were closing for the day, people were putting chains around their tires (that's been illegal here for years), and there was a general sense of panic in the town with many fender benders, etc.

The accumulaton?

About 3 inches.

We don't even bother to shovel for that, never mind breaking out the snowplows. ;) Just thought it was funny how we view the weather differently.

Barada

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yep :) Having spent many years growing up in the midwest, I long to see snow sometimes. Even a half inch in Texas can be fun. Of course, when you ahve to deal with for months in the north, it does lose its charm.

Barada

Saboteur
Highly unlikely. There has been a day or two in the past where it has snowed in early April, but for the most part, it usually ends mid-March.

Barada

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
We had a White Christmas for the first time I can remember! Well, wasn't exactly the 'Christmas Card' type, but it did snow pretty heavy for about 4 hours, so it counts for betting purposes ;) A few bookies are feeling slightly out of pocket, especially those who took the bets a year back when odds were huge.

Little people loved it - cries of 'I got daddy with a snowball' rang in my wet ear more than a bit, superb fun. Today though, its back to more mundane and windy weather, which is bad. Hugely worse is the return to work......now when is the next bank holiday.... ;)

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
darthskelington said:
Hmmm......if you're going from Kentucky to Houston, you're probably going through Shreveport, LA and possibly even Marshall, TX. If so, you'll be passing only a couple miles from where I work. Small world, eh?
Actually, we flew this time. We have driven that way before though.

Barada

Saboteur
Quick update for you guys.

We had a little winter squall yesterday. I've attached a pic that I took of the house across the street at 3 pm yesterday (note the amount of daylight the storm took away for that time of day).

The blue thing that you can barely see in their driveway due to being buried is a truck they keep covered over winter.

Not sure if you can make it out, but you can see the blowing snow against the houses. At this point, the actual snowfall had stopped, but then the blowing snow began. I think the final depth of snow was about 2 feet, with the drifts being much higher.

Enjoy life in Canada - aka Hoth...

Barada

Attachments

• P1011258.JPG
    P1011258.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 232

Alf

Agent
Looks like the weather here. Walking through knee deep drifts to get to my car then waiting for the Snowplow to drive by so I can go to work. Then shortly after I get there, my coworkers heard the county was declared "In A State of Emergency" and there should be no unnecessary travel.

But a threat of a big storm is good business ;) people were buying enough groceries to last a week.

mynock11

Sith Medic
Wow ian were you walking down my street this weekend? looks alot like my neighborhood...lol we only got 19 inches here..

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I just got back from a trip to Budapest. Great city, fabulous trip, but man was it cold!!

They seemed to delight in it too, having electonic signs around the city proudly displaying the fact that it was -11C ....brrrrrr!! Had to find a wooly hat and scarf shop double quick!

I'd highly recommend the city to everyone, just bring some warm clothes! ;)