JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
This is from ComingSoon.net ...

BREAKING: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII!
Star Trek Into Darkness helmer J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII for Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm, reports TheWrap. The site says that Ben Affleck was also in contention.

Back in November, Abrams commented on the possibility of him directing and it sounded like it wasn't happening:

"Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time. I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

TheWrap adds that Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams for the director's chair for a while.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney and Lucasfilm are planning a new trilogy with a new movie coming every other year.

The only response to that is: NNNNnnnnnnooooooo.....!!!!

Looks like the worthless fool will flush another "Star" franchise down the toilet ... the only saving grace might be that Abrams doesn't actually do anything more than rubber-stamp his name on other people's work. :(

Time to get out before the big crash ... For Sale: One Huge Star Wars collection. :(

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I've enjoyed a lot of the movies/tv shows that have been associated with JJ Abrams. LOST being one of my favorites (and also an example of "rubber stamping" since I don't believe he was much involved after the first several episodes).

I have mixed feelings about the 2009 Star Trek movie. The plot was weak/nonsensical in places. The villain wasn't very compelling. Lens flare was overused. But, even with all those things, the movie was more or less enjoyable. I hate the idea of a "prequel" because it ultimately has to lead to a place we're already familiar with and kills most of the suspense/anticipation. Setting Star Trek in an alternate universe is really the only way to get away from those issues and still use the original characters at an earlier age. Making big deviations from the original story, like killing Spock's mom, is a good way to let the audience know that anything can happen. Episode VII will, presumably, continue on from where Episode VI left off. So, I doubt we need to worry about an alternate universe because we won't need it as a way to create suspense.

Here's a 5 year old video where JJ Abrams talks a bit about his movie philosophy:

I would bet that Episode VII will be interesting and suspenseful. I'm sure it will be commercially successful (I believe 2009's Star Trek was the most commercially successful Trek movies). It's greatness will likely be determined more by the quality of the script rather than anything JJ Abrams does.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I like a lot of Abrams stuff. I thought Star Trek was very enjoyable, although I didn't love everything about it. The Alternate universe was a great out, allowing freedom of story, and preventing the inevitable clashes with exisiting continuity. If anything, I wish it had matched pre-exisiting continuity of Captains April and Pike better.

As for Star Wars, Abrams wouldn't be writing it...only directing it. And a big part of any sequel trilogy would be keeping the "feel" of Star Wars. Especially with big brother George watching over. Spin-off movies could go in any direction with any feel. You could do a bounty hunter movie in the style of say, Sin City. That's a bit extreme, but it would work in the case of something new, something different, side project.

My biggest concern has nothing to do with any director, so much as the plot itself. I've come to enjoy the approved expanded universe continuity over the past 20 years. At this point in time, it seems virtually impossible for the sequels to not completely overwrite some of the awesome stories out there. Even if they were to do straight adaptations of almost any of the stories, the actors ages wouldn't match up to most of them.

So, I don't doubt that the new movies will be cool in many respects, but I have little excitement for them right now. Mainly concern for the existing stories I like.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
George Lucas did write the storylines, he might be "watching over" and even be asked for guidance ... BUT he has absolutely no official say any longer, so the new people can do anything they want, and an over-egoed "Hollyweird golden boy" like JJ Abrams almost certainly will. There's been plenty of people who claim to be fans of an original and yet still completely screw it up with their own silly ideas of how it should be done.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It has now been officially announced by LucasFilm / StarWars.com. :(

A couple of good quotes from around the Internet ...

• "I have a bad feeling about this."
  • "I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly kicked in the teeth. I fear something terrible has happened."
  • "Sir, the possibility of successfully handing over control of an entertainment franchise is approximately three thousand, seven hundred and twenty to one!"

Positive proof that JJ Abrams is really just some nerdy character off a silly US "comedy" TV series ...

Abrams_Bio_Photo.jpg
JohnnyGalecki-sm.png

JJ Abrams = Leonard from The Big Bang Theory ;)

All the great directors have beards: George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Irvin Kershner, Gary Kurtz, Stanley Kubrick, Ron Howard, etc. JJ Abrams doesn't have a beard (geez, he's not even old enough to need to shave yet!) - just further proof that Abrams is definitely not a "great director". ;)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
George Lucas quote about JJ Abrams:

“I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller," George Lucas added. "He’s an ideal choice to direct the new 'Star Wars' film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.” Abrams described his next directing job as an "absolute honor" and said, "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

Source: thewrap.com

More about the Trek:

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
My biggest concern has nothing to do with any director, so much as the plot itself. I've come to enjoy the approved expanded universe continuity over the past 20 years. At this point in time, it seems virtually impossible for the sequels to not completely overwrite some of the awesome stories out there. Even if they were to do straight adaptations of almost any of the stories, the actors ages wouldn't match up to most of them.

It's been quite a while since I've read any of the EU stuff. Somewhere in the basement, I have a box of books from back in the day (Thrawn books, etc). I believe Lucas himself has been saying for years that those stories aren't canon. I would be very surprised if the new movies don't totally contradict previous EU content. I suppose you could think of the EU stuff as "Alternate Universe" instead of "Expanded Universe".