How Do You Spell Hypocrisy? P-H-L-I-P W-I-S-E

Barada

Saboteur
Well, seems like RS is trying to get Dustin to be the next Fan Club President.

I'm cool with that, BUT not cool with the way it's being promoted.

Dustin For President link

The post will make more sense if you click on the 'learn how to help' link in the first post.

Now, here's a copy of my post there, which I expect will be removed from RS.

Sorry to derail the thread Dustin, and if you delete this, I will fully understand.

Nothing against you - you have my support in every way except the $50 it costs us in Canada to subscribe. :mad:

However, Philip's post today has pissed me off.

On the main page:

I gotta say, I'm underwhelmed by the subscriptions...

In the report:

It's time to get out the support.

Those with current subscriptions, you can renew now and it will tack on your subscription to the end of your current term.

Can't afford it? That's not so unusual with all the stuff we have to buy for our collections; give one away as a gift to a friend, or ask for one for your birthday. Get it early even.

Or, go wear out your friends and have them sign up.

We need to get this thing moving!

And, finally, from the Campaign page.

How can I help?
You can help spread the word by grabbing a campaign banner and throwing it up on your website. Simply right-click and choose "save as" to download them to your desktop. Then link the banner back up to the official DLR campaign headquarters (this page). No website? Use this limited-edition campaign avatar in the forum!

Okay.....

I am NOT begging for a subscription to an expensive website fanclub for my birthday. Asking a friend to give me a $50 US gift out of the blue is ridiculous. If I or my friends were that rich to just throw away $50 ata time, I'd be joining up for the hell of it.

Finally, and my biggest complaint here, is that the request is to advertise this campaign on other websites, but Philip's own rules will ban you if you advertise another website here. Is that hypocritical or what?

Sorry, Philip, I normally do not like to say negaitive things about RS or you publically, but these comments are a pure joke.

Again, I want to make it 100% clear that I am in full support of Dustin's bid for Fan Club President. I just hate the method of getting him there, and the pure hypocrisy in Philip's statements about advertising sites.

Ian

What does everyone else think of this BS?

Ian

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Well...

I don't really care who the president of the Star Wars fan club is. And since I don't know anything about anyone running for the office, it seems dumb to just randomly choose someone and vote for them. I will certainly not pay to randomly choose somebody.

Maybe they should try going door-to-door to sell subscripions. :rolleyes:

People are talking about not being a member of the fan club unless there is a C4. From what I could tell, being a member of the fan club wasn't that much of an advantage at C3. Basically there were 2 lines and one line got in an hour early (fan club). BUT, the line for the fan club was SO FRICKIN' HUGE that it didn't matter unless you got there at the crack of dawn. Assuming you're not in the front of the line, by the time you (as a fan club member) are admitted, the other line has already sent in a bunch of people too.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i probably shouldn't say this, but here goes ....

IMO, philip wise is a joke, no matter how you "interpret" it. He is no different than Hyperspace itself. they both expect unconditoinal devotion with no return. he wants to dictate everything, like he owns Star Wars. he starts to lecture about how a business operates and then goes on to say that it is all for fun.

a couple of observations ....

*i have never seen a post by wise where he was not trying to enforce some bogus rule or defend some stupid thing that he has done and he is always attacked by several people on his own site. granted i don't spend much time at RS.

*they have 14,000ish members and only 4 have voted for dustin?

*"Collect to Collect" - read the ignorant rules they have (this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, i just like to throw it in there whenever i can)

the problem with this entire thing is Hyperspace. it is stupid and has been since day 1. if the magazine struggles, it is due to hyperspace.

scum has a lot of good people working at it and although i do not know dustin, i'm sure he is just fine. the overall feeling i have towards scum is very poor and i think that can be associated to their supreme ruler.

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
I saw the first post of Dustin for pres. Pretty much brushed it off, just like I did the contest in general. Pretty lame way to boost sales.

I'm going with Brewster, from Brewster' Millions

VOTE NONE OF THE ABOVE

I let my membership expire.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I've never gotten involved in the RS community. The newspage itslef became less personable a couple years after I started viewing it. As far as resources and connections...RS is up there as far as getting the news goes. End of story for me. Care less about the RS community, but it kinda turns me off.

As for Hyperspace.....it's always been a joke. Unless you ahve hi-speed internet and a lot of free time.....the internet perks are non-existent. And if you dont' go to a major con, no other benefits exist. My sub has expired. So far, I see no reason to renew, other than to receive the mag. Subscription is approx the same as cover price. (WHich is to say, HIGH) :(

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
I agree, it shouldn't matter who it is as long as there is a President working for the good of all Star Wars fans in general... But Ian's right, not like that with RS. Just like Hyperspace, a joke really......

DA

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Darth Aussie said:
I agree, it shouldn't matter who it is as long as there is a President working for the good of all Star Wars fans in general... But Ian's right, not like that with RS. Just like Hyperspace, a joke really......

it's an honoray title. if dustin were to win, he would not be in charge of anything. he would win a trip somehwere and get a bunch of free star wars stuff.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Basically, it's just a competition to see who can get the most referral subscriptions. The winner becomes "the president". We could all subscribe to it and put Aussie down as our "referrer" and get him elected president.

Or we could all try to get Steve Irwin elected (personally, I'm in favor of this) :)

Jedi_Joel

Agent
And now they're allowing the promotion of hate and wishes of death & ill-will towards members of the US military.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Jedi_Joel said:
Right here. Also keep in mind I reported that post at like 6am right before went off to do PT, and yet no mods have done a thing about it.
Some people are a little too sensitive about the way animals are treated.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Neither agreeing/disagreeing here. However, that statement was not directed at American soldiers....it was directed at one specific soldier who reportedly committed a severe act of animal cruelty.....an act that would be illegal and imprisonable here in the US.

Just keeping the quote in context.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
darthskelington said:
Neither agreeing/disagreeing here. However, that statement was not directed at American soldiers....it was directed at one specific soldier who reportedly committed a severe act of animal cruelty.....an act that would be illegal and imprisonable here in the US.

Just keeping the quote in context.
Imprisonment, maybe ... wishing death on the guy is a little across the line.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Perhaps this has drifted a little of topic. Basically that whole thread referenced was about a single act of horrific cruelty. No matter who perpetrated it, they should be made accountable for their actions. Allowing someone to get away with that is fundamentally agreeing that they did right. Surely any nation trying to get the world to do things their 'right' way cant condone this activity?

In any event, this thread started off discussing the wholly inappropriately named Philip Wise. Wise he is not. To date I've heard a lot of negative about the guy, nothing positive.

Personally, I had no spam email - NONE WHATSOEVER, until his illustrious selling out of everyone registered on his site to spammers to make a few quick bucks. Now, as a result of his selfish, greedy actions, I'm getting tons of crap. Obviously the scum that this scum sold our addresses to had no problem selling them on to tons of other scum. To make matters worse, I had registered and maybe posted once (twice at most) before realising his was a community I wanted no part of.

As far as buying a subscription to get his buddy some free stuff goes... yah, right! Maybe if he sends me the $80 I'll need to do it.....

Now, what else could I buy with $80...hmmmmmm

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Darth Boru said:
As far as buying a subscription to get his buddy some free stuff goes... yah, right! Maybe if he sends me the $80 I'll need to do it.....

Now, what else could I buy with $80...hmmmmmm

A lot more i could imagine than waste it on RS.....