Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Hello Everyone,

I have been working on a project that involves the cantina. This has me now trying to identify and place as many of the patrons as I can. Despite a lot of conflicting information out there, I think I have a pretty good handle on most of them.
There is one that I can't figue out and i was hoping some of you might have some ideas about him. This involves the cantina band and here's where I am at ...

The band has 7 members which can be identified in the film. The member in question is Lirin Car'n. The first image, is the image that i always find attached to this guy but this can not be him if he's playing with the band. The other images are of the band and i have identified them the best that i can based on info found around the web and the instruments that they are playing.

any thoughts?

Attachments

• Lirin-carn copy.jpg
    Lirin-carn copy.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,973
  • The Band 1 copy.jpg
    The Band 1 copy.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 9,460
  • The Band 4 copy.jpg
    The Band 4 copy.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 3,122
  • The Band 5 copy.jpg
    The Band 5 copy.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 1,284

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Hmmm.....well....you seem to be dead on with your identification. I think the problem is just continuity editing. The seventh band member is difficult to see in the movie behind all the others...and may have been overlooked. As a result, you have 7 Bith on stage and 1 seated, with one band member in two places at the same time. (I'll actually take you word that there are 7 visible playing, I've never noticed myself and don't ahve time at the moment to dive into the blu-rays).

I don't have the book with the Cantina Cross-Sections...which is probably the most recent book that could possibly shed any light on the issue.

Seems like Wookipedia sums it up best by being vague: The membership roster of the band alternated over the years, adding and subtracting members whenever the situation called for it. They persistently maintained at least five permanent performers at any one time and sometimes as many as seven. The known members of the Modal Nodes included:

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Assuming that the image i have attached below is the cross section you mention, it only shows 5 band members which is usually what they go with when hasbro puts out a set.

I have a few issues with that cross section but i understand what they were trying to do. There are more booth shots than there are booths.

Attachments

• Cantina cross section.jpg
    Cantina cross section.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 3,791

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
here are some screen shots from the dvd. when the camera first pans across, you can only see the shoulder of one of the Bith and the Bith that is seated is not visible at all. When they show the Bith that is seated, you can see the hands of the Bith that the shoulder was visible from the first time around which is consistant with the images that i posted in earlier.

It's not a big deal. I don't expect anyone to try and research this. I thought it would be worth a shot, that someone might already know the story behind it.

I'll post my list of cantina patrons later with images. For now, the image that is commonly associated with Lirin C'arn (the non band image) will become the "Unidentified Bith".

Attachments

• The Band 6 copy.jpg
    The Band 6 copy.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 847

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Nifty. I have a roster print out of all the Cantina and Jabba's Palace patrons I got from Red 6's website years ago. The site appears to be defunct now. You probably have all the same info, but if you need help with any particular characters, let me know.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i would be interested in seeing that list. I'm currently going back through my list to correct some assumptions.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I'll see what I can do. It's about 20 pages worth and my ink was running out at the time...so the text (character name, actor, and location in the film) is inconsistently visible. I'll do a web search tomorrow to make sure it isn't still out there somewhere. Then I could scan the pages and retype the info as needed.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I have stumbled across these websites which might (or might not) be of use:

I don't think Lirin Car'n is actually playing in the band when Luke and Ben are in the Cantina.

I'm not sure it will help, but I looked up a few more of my resources books and found these conflicting bits. Sorry about the image quality - my scanner hasn't worked in years, so I had to try using the camera.

You've already go the Cantina cross-section from the Cantina book, which is lucky since in the book the band is actually half-hidden by the centre dip / binding.

• "Fiery" Figrin D'an on Kloo Horn
  • Doikk Na'ts on Dorenian Beshniquel (or Fizzz)
  • Ickabel G'ont on the Double Jocimer
  • Tedn Dahai on Fanfar
  • Tech Mo'r on the Ommni Box
  • Nalan Cheel on the Bandfill
  • Sun'il Ei'de on the Drums
  • Lirin Car'n often sits in to play second Kloo Horn
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia (Dorling Kindersley, 2011)​

The Complete Visual Dictionary has a nice picture of five band members with names.
209looy.jpg

• Figrin D'an on Kloo Horn
  • Doikk Na'ts on Fizzz (or Dorenian Beshniquel)
  • Tedn Dahai on Fanfar
  • Tech Mo'r on the Ommni Box
  • Nalan Cheel on the Bandfill
- Complete Visual Dictionary (Dorling Kindersley, 2006)​

The Star Wars Fact Files has the same picture of five band members, lists Ickabel G'ont as playing the Fanfar, and doesn't mention Sun'il Ei'de at all, but it does give a brief description of the five instruments and another map of the Cantina.
10rijxf.jpg

• In the hands of a master like Figrin D'an, the Kloo Horn is a dynamic instrument that adds passion and colour to an ensemble. It is highly difficult to master and produces horrific sounds when played by a beginner.
  • The Dorenian Beshniquel, more commonly known as the Fizzz, is a woodwind instrument, slightly longer than the Fanfar. It also gives more sonorous and warmer tones, but is otherwise quite similar to it in sound.
  • The Bandfill features a number of mounted horn bells. The instrument requires great lung capacity in the player, as well as manual dexterity. It has a broad range and is capable of bass and teble notes.
  • The Ommni Box is a complex musical-enhancement instrument that requires great skill to play. It collects the sound produced by the band, levels peaks and lows, and then amplifies it all to the audience.
  • A woodwind instrument, the Fanfar is difficult to master as it involves playing a reed in a very small mouthpiece. It is considered an essential instrument for any band.
- Star Wars Fact Files (DeAgostini, 2001 / 2002)​

My old Essential Guide to Characters book does have photos of five different band members, but again they aren't labelled with names. It also doesn't mention Sun'il Ei'de.
  • "Fiery" Figrin D'an on Kloo Horn (also plays Gason String Drum)
  • Doikk Na'ts on Dorenian Beshniquel (or Fizzz)
  • Ickabel G'ont on Fanfar
  • Tedn Dahai on Fanfar
  • Tech Mo'r on Ommni Box
  • Nalan Cheel on Bandfill complete with Horn Bells
  • Lirin Car'n, sometime backup playing the Kloo Horn
- The Essential Guide to Characters (Del Rey, 1995)​

I tried to look to see if there was anything on my Behind the Magic CD-ROM, but apparently I've changed something in the emulator's Windows installation and it no longer recognises that CD-ROM (others still work fine) ... typical Windoze!

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Hmmm.....Sun'il Ei'de on the Drums.....that's one I've never heard of before. Perhaps you've cracked the code Buzz.

[Skel runs off to go look at encyclopedia]

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all of the info

The guy who did the cantinacustoms.tripod.com/id18.htm site makes some assumptions and in at least one instance, he creates a name for the 7th band member (calling him Lars M'yer). This makes me question some of the info that he provides. I'm including logical assumptions but i'm trying to avoid the fan created stuff.

Sun'il Ei'de seems to be a name created recently but it does look like it might be "official". From what little i have found, it seems to refer to the Bith drummer from the holiday special but it fits and it would solve my issue.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
You can check the images below. I think this is the route i will go. At least until new info comes up.

btw, i like that youtube walk through

Attachments

• The Band 3.jpg
    The Band 3.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 1,122
  • The Band 4.jpg
    The Band 4.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 2,741
  • The Band 5.jpg
    The Band 5.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 1,217