Collectible of the Day 285 - Coca-Cola cups from New Zealand/Australia

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
20227223684_5d5087c497_b.jpg

I was recently lucky enough to acquire a complete set of vintage Star Wars Coca Cola cups from New Zealand/Australia. I've been looking for these for a few years now, ever since fellow spy Buzz told me about his childhood cups, and this set practically fell in my lap.

Using the same artwork as the second series of Coca Cola/7-Eleven cups found in the United States, the international set has several distinct differences from their American counterparts. The cups are shorter, standing only 12cm high. The plastic is much thicker, almost as thick as the popular DEKA cup line. The artwork is much less detailed, using thicker lines, and there is no descriptive text on the back. The bottom of the cups have the text, "Coke Adds Life" embossed on the bottom. There are also only four dfferent cups, whereas the American set had eight. They were reportedly available at Kentucky Fried Chicken in Australia, Georgie Pie in New Zealand, and possibly other restaurants.

20228846623_0874947b80_z.jpg

20227228524_152f0e6b2a_z.jpg

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The Han Solo & Chewbacca cup is the only one I have. I'm almost certain they only came from Georgie Pie restaurants here.

Georgie Pie was bought up by McDonalds years ago and all the branches either converted or closed down. More recently McDonalds here in New Zealand has revived the Georgie Pie brand and is now selling pies (mince & cheese, chicken, and a couple of fruit versions) supposedly using the same recipe in their McDonalds branches, but they're over-priced compared to the usually better ones you can get from the local bakery shops.