Collectible of the Day 183 - Unlicensed Ceramic ANH Duel

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
7544162954_3390f2e96d_z.jpg

Here we have one of the most bizarre unlicensed collectibles I've ever seen. I found this on eBay and had to have it. Described as Ceramic Darth Vader and Luke....it...well...it burns the eyes. Look away....look away! :p Perhaps it should have been described as Bug-Eyed Vader Knuckle Bumps Burt Reynolds Kenobi. :D

What we have is a hand painted ceramic "lamp", which was likely purchased at a ceramic studio, which were popular in the 70's and 80's. While unlicensed ceramic Darth Vader, R2-D2, Yoda, and Chewbacca items are fairly common, this is something I had never seen before.

The sculpture is hollow, allowing for lights to be placed inside. The home artist could then customize it by cutting out holes anywhere they chose, to allow light to come through. Many ceramic pieces could be turned in to lamp or banks with equal ease.

It seems that this piece was intended to be turned into a lamp, as the strange silver bird/Dalek/computer/cigarette vending machine is clearly suited to have plastic beads placed on it as this one has.

What makes this more interesting....or absurd, is that the artist chose to add beads to Vader's chest box, belt...... and his eyes. The bug-eyes on Vader make me laugh every time I see it.

It would seem this piece, with the proper plastic pieces, could have lightsabers placed in Vader and Obi-Wan's hands. Apparently the artist didn't have access to plastic rods. Check out some detail photos and videos in the following posts.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Between the signature mustache and hairline, and the Smokey and the Bandit-esque red shirt, it seems Burt Reynolds missed his calling as a Jedi Master.

7544141404_70fb8db484_o.jpg
7544160770_77d1ba83f6_n.jpg
7544141726_46099ee554_o.jpg

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
This was the first one I'd ever seen. Truly an amzing piece of kitsch. Since these were painted by the purchaser....I imagine if you find one, it might look better....or I daresay....even worse. :p