Collectible of the Day 008 - Clone Wars Miniatures

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Collectible of the Day​

5179399661_c1dc866cd2.jpg

Today we’re taking a look at Star Wars miniatures. Seen here are some minis from the Clone Wars expansion, currently available at Target for only $4.99 a pack. Others expansions are also available at a discount, ranging from $6.99-$10.49 a pack. Originally, these retailed for $14-$24 a pack. Until this past year, Wizards of the Coast, owned by Hasbro, had the license to produce Star Wars gaming miniatures. Over the past several years, WOTC released thirteen different sets, consisting of 40-60 minis per set. Some small (mynocks, GNK droids), others huge (Felucian Battle Rancor, AT-ST). The miniatures have an imposed rarity system, making some much more difficult to obtain, and therefore very challenging (or expensive) to complete sets. The typical pack consists of 7 random miniatures: 4 common, 2 uncommon, and 1 rare. Later sets also introduced “Very Rare” minis, which were even more difficult to obtain. Over the course of its life, the WOTC minis line produced over 750 different pre-painted miniatures.

While these minis were mass, produced, in general the quality was quite high. Were it not for the high prices and forced rarity, I would have attempted to collect these as they came out. Now that they can be found for half price or less, I’m taking advantage of the opportunity to pick a few up. I’ve only played a couple games, but it seems to be fun. Whether you collect or play, these minis are worth checking out.

Discuss this collectible here.

If you have an item you'd like to have featured, please PM me and provide a detailed description and a link to a medium sized, relatively in-focus photo. :)