CD to MP3 help needed

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
In another display of my computer illiteracy, I'm asking for help from my fellow Bothans, who are probably smarter than me :D

I want to copy some of my cd's into MP3 format, so that I can burn a nice 3-4 hour long MP3 cd to play at home. I just learned today that this is called CD ripping.

My cd burner only came with a trial version of software that does this. Does anyone know of a free downloadable software that I could aquire, that ISN'T a limited use sample and DOESN'T include spyware?

I tried downloading one, but it took over and hour to do so and then it wouldn't work. I figured why bother with this, and risk getting some virus or other junk that will screw up my computer. So, once again, I'm asking my fellows Bothans to tap into their massive wealth of knowledge to help me out.

Can anyone help me?

Dark Jedi

Banned
Try Morpheus, or maybe Kazaa, just try and find the software you need on one of those, you would probably be better off with using Morpheus...

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Apple's iTunes might do the trick. There's a windows and mac version of it out there and I don't believe you have to own an iPod for it.

Let me know if that works. If not, I may have some other options...

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I'm pretty sure Kazaa and Morpheus both contain spyware, although I could be mistaken. Caution is advised at all times :D

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Well, it looks like iTunes would work, except it can only be installed on Windows 2000 or XP. Sadly, I have 98.

Stupid question, but there's no (free) way to upgrade to 2000? Would I even want to?

I leery of Morpheus and Kazaa. I have a friend who isn't so thrilled with Morpheus, and I know that Kazaa is supposed to contain over 10 mb of spyware. I've also heard that if you uninstall Kazaa, the spyware stays. You have to download some removal software just to get rid of it.

The original kazaa (kazaalite) doesn't have any of this, but I'm still not sure i want to get into that.

Dark Jedi

Banned
Originally posted by Darth Boru
I'm pretty sure Kazaa and Morpheus both contain spyware, although I could be mistaken. Caution is advised at all times :D

Kazaa has spy ware, I'm not sure about Morpheus though...

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Originally posted by darthskelington
there's no (free) way to upgrade to 2000?
Nope, it's by MicroSoft.

Would I even want to?
As above. :D

Morpheus and Kazaa.
There's a pile of these file-sharing things around (Hotline, eDonkey, ...) and although not illegal to use, most of the stuff you can download with them is.

I've no idea about Windoze software (and have zero interest in music, so I've never bothered to look into how my Mac and CD burner does this), but try searching for freeware / shareware at file sites like: :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Thanks for your help everyone. Windows Freeware turned out to be a quick solution. There I downloaded Rip Wiz 2003, which took my slow connection only 15 minutes tops !!!! Furthermore, I figured out how to use it in less than 10 seconds.

Now I'll jus have to try some of the free antivirus software :cool:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Ahh ... the joys of using a Mac. Although you can get them, there's no real need for virus protection (unless you're silly enough to use Microsloth products) or firewalls. :)

The only problem is not all the Star Wars games come in Mac versions. :(

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
It's usually not worthwhile to produce 2 things for Macs because a much smaller percentage of the population use them:

A) Games/Software
B) Viruses/Etc

You take the good with the bad I suppose. If Macs were used on the same scale as Microsloth products, I have a feeling they'd run into the same problems. But, hey, you'd have all the games you could want - heh.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Partly true. The original MacOS was much more secure that anything Microsloth creates (there were even a number of 'Hack the Mac' competitions that were never won), but since Apple switched to the Unix-based MacOS X they've got a bit less secure (although it still beats Windoze).

Even owning a PC you won't get ALL the Star Wars games - unfortunately there's a few that are released only for console A or only for console B. :(

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
lately it seems that Microsloth has been trying to buy exclusive rights to games for their generally worthless Xbox...

Come on Sony, fight back!!!
(although the new PSX is kinda worthless, once the price gets down to about a third of the price it's at now, maybe a little less, then it might be worth it.)

I read that Sun has put together a secure, flexible and powerful Java-based OS... unfortunately for now they are only targetting businesses. Soon it should filter down to the PC market and Microsloth will try to sue... It has the power of Lexus, the ease of a Mac, a two button mouse and I heard it can run games designed for Windows or Mac... although they have already specifically written a program suite that rivals MS.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Java-based OS ... I heard it can run games designed for Windows or Mac
It's doubtful that it would run Windows and MacOS games - they're two entirely different OSes and two entirely different chip designs, so it'd need one HUGELY powerful processor(s) to translate all that on the fly.

More likely is that because it's Java-based it can run games written in Java. Programmes written in Java can basically run on Windows and MacOS (as well as PDAs, mobile phones, and who knows what else ... including those Internet fridge things). :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I hope not. Most of the Java applications I've had the misfortune to use have been ugly, slow and simply awful to use. This is partly due to a bad Java engine on my old version of the MacOS and partly because (like most "do-it-all" implementations) Java simply "sucks". :(

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
i use Creative Media Source for rippingg since I just got a Nomad.

But, Ive only created one mp3 cd since I had the burning capabilities. I used a roxio program that accepted all types of audio files, and it could turn them into a mp3cd regardless of the format. A friend got it for me once and Ive tried getting it again but its a hard program to get online, although, it worked well.

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
Originally posted by Buzz Bumble
I hope not. Most of the Java applications I've had the misfortune to use have been ugly, slow and simply awful to use. This is partly due to a bad Java engine on my old version of the MacOS and partly because (like most "do-it-all" implementations) Java simply "sucks". :(

the internet, in general, runs on Java...

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
That would explain why it's so slow and crashes a lot ... and here I was thinking Microsloth Exploiter was to blame. ;)