Anakin vs Obi-Wan - the fateful duel in Episode III

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Well, here's the latest rumor from Coming Attractions ...
For years Star Wars fans have been trying to wonder what the set of circumstances were that led to the fateful lightsaber duel between Anakin Skywalker and his master, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ever since the release of A New Hope, the theory advanced was that Skywalker fell into a molten pit, was rescued most likely by agents of the Emperor and transformed into the cyborg visage of Darth Vader. In the novelization of Return of the Jedi it's suggested that the molten pit may have been a volcano or lake of lava but Lucasfilm has never fully endorsed either tales as the official story. Episode III is expected to settle the matter for once and for all.

Enter our latest scooper, an individual who wishes to call himself by the Ithorian name of "Momaw Nadon". According to Momaw, he works at the Ranch and knows precisely what happens to Anakin during his duel with Obi-Wan but more importantly he knows what planet their duel takes place on...and why that planet no longer exists by the time A New Hope begins.

It's an interesting idea and that's why we're going to show it to you. As with most of the Star Wars "insider" info we receive, we won't believe a word of it until either our scooper proves to us that they can be trusted or if their prophecy about what company's attention we'll attract comes to pass. Still, even if it's nothing more than some fanboy getting his rocks off, Momaw's idea would tie up all the loose strings left dangling about where the green and lush paradise of Naboo is when the events of Episodes IV - VI take place...

"I think it´s about time to give you THE scoop of the year. First, let me say that I work at The Ranch, and I had the chance to look at some preliminary drawings of the third chapter of the Star Wars saga.

"Onto to the stuff: just like any SW fan knows, Anakin Skywalker falls into a 'molten pit', is badly burned and then rescued by Palpatine, who molds him into Darth Vader.

"Well.

"Anakin DOES fall on a pit of lava, that´s for sure. But the twist is that the lava is NOT from a new planet. The ofter- rumoured 'fire planet', that will tie in with the other 'element planets' (Tattoine = Earth, Hoth = Ice, Kamino = Water) is actually NABOO, that´s being slowly disintegrated by a prototype Death Star built by Sidious (if you remember, in the end of Episode II, Dooku hands the plans of the Death Star to Sidious).

"That´s it for now. Use the info as you see fit, but beware. Lucasfilm may threaten to sue you, and you know exactly what it means. It means that this 'rumour' is true."

Believe it or not ... probably more "not". :)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I enjoy reading any theories that have to do with the next movie, but let me say now that who ever this is that claims to work at the "ranch' is full of it.

It is no secret that they are building a volcanic set and that obi wan and Anakin engage in a battle which leaves Anakin in a very bad state and believed dead by obi-wan. Anakin is rescued by Palpatine or Sidious. I say it that way because I ask anyone to provide information that proves that Palpatine and Sidious are the same person.

On a personal note. I do believe that Palpatine and Sidious are the same person. If they are not, it will be a very big let down but I think it is important that there has been no evidence that they are the same person to this point, other than they are played by the same actor.

Lucas needs to have some kind of major plot twist in ep3 and that would be a nice twist if he chose to go that direction.

This guy also makes another assumption that there is no 'real' evidence of. He says that Dooku hands the plans for the deathstar over to Palpatine/Sidious at the end of AOTC. this never happens on screen. Dooku says that he will take the plans to his master and he does see sidious at the end of AOTC but only says that the clone wars have begun.

Let us also not forget that no one has come up with a good theory on why Dooku is surprised when the clone troopers arrive.

I have my own theories that may not be any better than this but this guy is only taking what we already know and trying to make it seem as if it is something new.

Also... i'll bet my last dollar that Naboo is not becoming the Deathstar. That statement makes no sense. Lucas does not follow the EU but he does take it into consideration when he is creating his new stories. Naboo is still around when the OT comes around and we do have evidence of that.

Amshak you said......"Naboo is still around when the OT comes around and we do have evidence of that". I was wondering what was the evidence? Many times I miss the subtle things that tie the old in with the new.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
For one thing, Naboo exists in the upcoming game "Star Wars Galaxies" - which is set after the destruction of the first Death Star. They have approval from Lucas to include this planet in that time frame.

Also, Amshak, didn't you mean to say that Sidious is NOT Palpatine.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I think sidious is palpatine, but i have read some theories that they are not the same person and it's important to remember that there is nothing official that says that they are the same person. sw.com's database says nothig about them being the same... the encyclopedia, official and unofficial, say nothing about them being the same person. It does seem odd to me that none of the sources make any indication that they have any connection at all.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lucas has made some comments that would lead you to believe that they are the same person, but he has never come out and said that they are. I was talking with one of the guys that run episodeX, which specializes in this type of stuff... in fact they have a section called "Lucas Quotes" that lists anything that he has said that might reveal something about EP3. He is running with the theory that anakin is the one who erases kamino from the databank and part of that theory assumes that they are the same person (palptine/sidious) but he doesn't have "real" evidence that they are... only some comments that lean in that direction from Lucas.
Anyway... for the record... i think they're the same person but i'm not so hot on the anakin theory.

Here's a juicy thought! What if (palpatine/sidious) cloned himself previously to take care of two "theatres" at the same time. I could have just blown the biggest surprise since "I am your father Luke".:idea: :hello:

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, interesting....:rolleyes:

Palpatine/Sidious

In regards to Palpatine being Sidious I found a bit of information on starwars.com when I was trying to read information on what a Bothan was. I found it in the Databank under Death Star II.
It is as quoted:

"The leaked information was all a ruse. The
scheming Emperor Palpatine engineered the
Rebellion's discovery of the Death Star in the
hopes of trapping the growing Rebel fleet.
The second Death Star would not be as
vulnerable as the Rebels believed.

To ensure that the Death Star would destroy
the lured Alliance fleet, Palpatine entrusted
the supervision of its final phase of
construction to his Sith apprentice, Lord Darth
Vader. Vader motivated the Death Star's
commander, Moff Jerjerrod, to see that the
battle station was operational when the
Emperor arrived for his inspection tour.":vader:

Barada

Saboteur
Chris, I'm not sure what the link is you provided here. It talks about Death Star II, and mentions only Palpatine, not Sidious. Can you elaborate on this some more?

I think they're the same too, but AmShak is right. There's no evidence linking them, and I don't see it in your post :rolleyes:

Barada

Palpatine and Sidious

This link talks about "the scheming Emperor Palpatine ect.".
Fact: Palpatine is evil

Palpatine and Sidious look the same.
Fact: Palpatine and Sidious are played by the same actor.
Fact: Sidious is evil

With George's budget they could afford a second actor. If they aren't the same man, why did all the factors in Ep. 1 lead Palpatine to power in the senate and allow him to raise a grand army of the Republic in Ep.2 which will later become Stormtroopers.
Theory: Palpatine is the clone of Sidious if they aren't the same
man.
:twitch:
That's my underwear and I'm stickin' to it.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I agree, but if it's so obvious, why is there no official remarks made to this point? my real question is what does it mean that there is not a definite distinction made?

I believe there isn't a definate distinction made just to stress out the general public (LOL). It is something left to give us a topic of discussion. Star Wars is very indepth. Movies are made with voids intentionally because the world knows there is to be a next movie. Each movie is made to blend into the next. It gives Star Wars a sense of continuity. You have to keep people talking and waiting for the next one.

JediDaxter

Am I lovable? Hope so.
Anakin vs Obi-Wan

I do hope they address that in Episode III. There would be no closure if you move to E4 from E3 with out the fight. And man! naboo gets destroyed. I loved traveling there on weekends. At least Sio gets melted with the planet?

That's all I have to say.