Action Fleet: Return Of The Little Giant

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
** MICRO MACHINES: RETURN OF THE LITTLE GIANT **

Hello guys,
where you one of those, including myself, that felt very disappointed when Hasbro announced they would stop making the Micro Machines line for Star Wars and therefore the nicely sculpted and detailed Action Fleet vehicles?

Remember how hard to find the last Action Fleet wave made by Galoob was before the company got swallowed by Hasbro? The E-Wing, Tie Defender and Jabba's Sail Barge which were all part of this last wave have quadruple in value in the secondary market and from a collector's point of view they are well worth getting since very small quantities were produced, very few were found at local stores and therefore demand has stayed at a high.

The future of the Star Wars Micro Machines seemed somehow unclear after Hasbro took possession of Galoob but, with the release of Episode I, the big H came up with a new, more dynamic packaging style and the all newly presented ships started to come out; it seemed as if the Action Fleet vehicles were going to remain strong for a long while but, as with lots of EP I merchandise, the sub-line was being overproduced.

In a change of events due in great part to poor sales, lack of interest by many (overproduction) and the downsize of Hasbro, the Star Wars Micro Machines line was ceased. Even at a certain point Hasbro stated they weren't sure whether to bring back the line at all, not even for Episode II.

The last and underproduced wave of EP I Action Fleet vehicles consisting of the Trade Federation Tank, Trade Federation Droid Control Ship, Naboo Royal Starship and Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator disappeared from store shelves very quickly and many regions didn't even receive them at all.

Hasbro, before the closing announcement, had promised to give us more podracers and the classic Star Destroyer, even their prototypes had been shown to the public but the line had been stopped and those of us who had been collecting it, were left in limbo with a thirst for the product.

The urge to bring back the line became a priority to many collectors. Websites started up petitions requesting Hasbro to do so and at the Shreveport convention last year, a petition signed by thousands was handed over to Hasbro representatives. The result of such effort was indeed very positive.

After looking it over, Hasbro listened to our cries and promised the line, including the Action Fleet sub-line, was going to make a come back for Episode II and that in fact they will include waves consisting of ships from the classic trilogy as well as EP I. Depending on how well the EP II line will do, we could expect a 60/40 split between the EP II product and the classics.

As of today, Hasbro has mentioned the release of six different Action Fleet ships when EP II merchandise hits retail and as an avid Star Wars Action Fleet collector, I feel very pleased with the results obtained from Hasbro; it definitely showed how union is power, in many cases such as this, delivering great results.

Get ready people, the little ships with the big details are coming back!

Take a look back in time with the Action Fleet pictures below. These are some of my favorite vehicles from my almost complete Action Fleet collection (missing E-Wing).

I was one of the lucky ones who got to order the Tie Defender directly from Galoob for $16.00, not knowing that five years later it was going to be the hardest and most expensive Action Fleet vehicle to obtain along with the E-wing.

Take care,
Ishi Tib

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
PIC #1

Attachments

• micro machines virago and tie defender copy.jpg
    micro machines virago and tie defender copy.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,341

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
PIC # 2

Attachments

• micro machines rebel blockade runner and jabba's barge copy.jpg
    micro machines rebel blockade runner and jabba's barge copy.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 849

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
PIC # 5

Attachments

• micro machines trade federation landing ship and royal starship.jpg
    micro machines trade federation landing ship and royal starship.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,028

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
PIC # 6

Attachments

• micro machines trade federation droid ship and trafe federation tank copy.jpg
    micro machines trade federation droid ship and trafe federation tank copy.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,408