The New Saga Figures - Discussion

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I picked up the new Barada and Bib Fortuna figs today, and felt like pointing out some of the little details of the new Saga line. While the line will have its share of repaints, reissues, and frankensteins, it will have a number of good resculpts and new figures. This line is following in the footsteps of previous post-movie years with lots of good features and products for collectors.

The card backs are in the same style as the Separation of the Twins figures. Similar to the OTC figures, but with angular bubbles.

Each figure comes with a new style of action figure stand. The stands are almost flat, in a gray plastic. The top of the stand features and embossed movie logo, while the angled front has the action figure's name printed on it.

Each fig also comes with a "hologram" mini figure. These remind me of the old mini-figs that came with GI Joes, only bigger. And blue. :p The holos all have round bases approximately the size of a quarter. Embossed on the bottom of each base is a logo. Imperial in the case of my Stormtrooper and Vader. I would assume the heroes have a Rebel insignia on their bases.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Okay...well......I just knocked my Barada on the floor by accidnet, base and all. The peg broke off the base. :( I really like these new bases, but I guess they aren't as heavy duty as previous ones.

Super Glue time.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Just noticed Bib's belt sticks out like a loop, that way you can slide his dagger in it for quick access. :p

Both Bib and Barada are slightly rubbery, like the vintage figs (which was helpful in getting the broken peg out of Barada's foot. With the help of a tooth pickk and some nail clippers) :cool:

Yoda Man

New Recruit
I just got the Leia today. She finally is to scale. It is just weird having Chewie, Han and Leia all the same height. ANd they really need to make a smaller Artoo,

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I kinda like the Han from what I've seen in stores. Haven't snagged one yet. I did grab an AT-AT Driver and Snowtrooper today. :)

The AT-AT Driver is wonderful....full articulation (knees, hips, elbows, wrists, shoulders, ball-socket neck). The helmet is dead on...and even the leg harness works fine either standing or sitting. A+ Ooh..I jsut noticed he has cleverly sculpted ball-hinged shoulders. A++

The SNowtrooper is good too...a combo of previous figs. This one has a battle-worn paint job :cool: It's basically the same as the blue Saga trooper that came out after AOTC, except with the straight legs of the old POTF2 trooper. The kama/skirt has a new sculpt to conform with the straight legs.

Does anyone know if the OTC snowtrooper had straight legs like this one, or bent legs like the blue Saga fig? And did the OTC one have a clean or dirty paint job?

Yoda Man

New Recruit
Although the Holo figs are wicked, I can't stand paying two bucks more a figure because I don't open them. And the worst part is that there are so many version of each figure because the back packin figure is completely random!

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Yoda Man said:
Although the Holo figs are wicked, I can't stand paying two bucks more a figure because I don't open them. And the worst part is that there are so many version of each figure because the back packin figure is completely random!
agreed..... this is probably the worst move that hasbro has made in some time .... IMO .... i like variations, but not like this and i won't play(pay) their game anymore.

Yoda Man

New Recruit
This really does suck. How do you know what is rare and what isn't. I was a a Target yesterday and all they had was the Bib Fortuna (which I needed). But th question was which should I buy. There were 13 with a boba fett hologram, and 1 with Darth Maul. I bought the one with Darth Maul, but I have no clue which one was rarer

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
I'm not going to bother with which is rarer or variants with this "new" line. too hard in my opinion.. buy what you see or like Yodaman, otherwise you'll tear your hair out trying to complete everything....

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Yoda Man said:
This really does suck. How do you know what is rare and what isn't. I was a a Target yesterday and all they had was the Bib Fortuna (which I needed). But th question was which should I buy. There were 13 with a boba fett hologram, and 1 with Darth Maul. I bought the one with Darth Maul, but I have no clue which one was rarer
i would probably do what you did... there's always that chance that the bib fortuna with that certain little fig on the back will be the one that everyone wants. it's all a guess, so getting the one that there are fewer of at least has some logic behind it. i'm trying to keep a mental note of what figs i have seen with what holo figs or which holo figs i see very little of. i'm not making a big effort in this area.... at the end of the day, i'm going to ignore the holo fig.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
As an opener, which holo comes with whihc fig isn't very important to me (as long as I get one loose of each) But, for what it's worth, I haven't seen any Maul holos...on Bib or anyone else. I have seen plenty of Fetts with various "villain" figures though. Not that it means anything, but i would have chosen the same as you YodaMan.

MprimeX

Notorious Bounty Hunter
The only figure I was able to pick up for myself is the Han solo in carbonite. I havn't been able to see any Boba fetts because he is a very popular character so right now I only got han solo and I plan on keeping him in the package. and whats better is that I got the regular sized Han solo and he comes with a Holographic han solo (supposed to be random figure But I ended up getting the mini han solo in the pack :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Cool. I've been slowly getting the new SAga figures, but I may need to step up the pace.....my Walmart is selling them down, and seem to get the new waves instead of more old. Which is good....I just need to keep up.

Yoda Man

New Recruit
I finally finished the first wave, but couldn't finish the second. I saw the whole set at Target for Hoth, but could only afford 2.

MprimeX

Notorious Bounty Hunter
personally I like the saga collection figures.
I've got Han solo, Boba fett and Barada. :) and their all fantastic figures.