Sugg. about avatars

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Can we make it possible to add custom sizing for avatars, so you can upload an image of any size, and warp it so it fits in the maximum size requirement?

Thanks

-CC

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Well, there's actually 2 different restrictions. One is the physical size of the avatar and the other is the filesize of the avatar. So, while I wouldn't be opposed to working on something that would "warp" the avatar to a smaller size, you would still have to be within the filesize limitations.

Can you give me a specific reason why you want to see this change (i.e., do you have a particular image that you'd like to use as an avatar)?

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
You can download a free trial copy of Paint Shop Pro or similar that will allow you to edit gifs, resize and all sorts. Not sure if there is a Mac version, but there must be some kinda freeware or shareware that'll do the job?

If you're stuck, pm me and I'll see if I can help.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess what I'm looking for is an example of the biggest one you'd want to use.

If it's a small increase from the current avatar sizes, then I have no problem bumping the max up a bit.

Avatar sizes vary widely from forum to forum. Post links (or send me links) to some examples, so that I can see what ballpark you're in.

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Hmmm..........there are a few koala pictures ive been looking to use as temporary avatars.

http://www.aircanada.ca/cargo/news/newsletter/images/koala.jpg

http://eclipse.span.ch/koala.jpg

Just images like that are things Id want as my avatar, plus some other images like the dancing ewok.

I know proboards allows you to use pretty much any image you want, and it gives you the option to stretch it in any direction to make it fit proportionally. So you say there isnt any way you can just make it so the image automatically resizes itself to fit within the limitations???

I guess I will just use paint or something to resize images and just upload them.

Thanks. If you put anything into the works that would allow automatic resizing of images, let me know.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yes, there currently is no way to let people use images as their avatar that do not meet the restrictions. I'm not saying it's impossible to do this - but, it will require quite a bit of work on my part.

I wanted to see some examples, because if the difference in size wasn't too great, I would just up the restriction. However, I don't want people using avatars that are the size that you linked to.

The eventual solution would only stretch the image to fit the proper size, it would not allow you to crop. Sooo, you would end up with slightly distorted pictures for your avatar. I've made some examples:

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 416

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Just take your requests to The Official AV Workshop topic ... and don't forget your wallet. ;)

It's been a bit quiet there lately, so they may welcome the extra work. :)

Just for anyone's information, the eMac, iMac and iBook all ship with the AppleWorks application (word processing, drawing, painting, database). Those with higher spec Macs or find AppleWorks isn't good enough for their image editng can try the shareware GraphicConverter downloadable from VersionTracker

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
here's the resized dancing Ewok... I can do some more with it but you'll have to head down to my workshop in GT for a full job...

Attachments

• ewok_dance.gif
    ewok_dance.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 384

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
alright, I did a little touch up for you here, and it just barely fits under the 20k limit...

Attachments

• ewok_dance.gif
    ewok_dance.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 392