Star Wars Board Games

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Star Wars Board Games have been a staple of SW Merchandise ever since the beginning. In the U.S., no less than nine board games were produced during the vintage era. Produced by Kenner/Parker Brothers, these included:

Destroy Death Star
Escape From Death Star
Adventures of R2-D2
Star Wars (The Ultimate Space Adventure Game)
Yoda the Jedi Master
Hoth Ice Planet Adventure
Battle at Sarlacc's Pit
Wicket the Ewok
The Ewoks Save the Trees

Foreign versions of some of these games exist, as well as other original international items like Ewoks Dominos and card games.

Out of the ashes of the vintage era arose SW Role Playing Games in their many incarntions (miniatures, missions, and other campaigns), which fall primarily into a separate category. Other "non-board" games include the vintage electronic games (Elec. Laser Battle Game, Elec. Battle Command Game, and the X-Wing Aces Target Game), video games, and the newer Collectible Card Games (CCGs and TCGs).

Back to board games, these traditional types did not return until the mid 90's with releases including:

Death Star Assault Game
Star Wars Interactive Video Board Game
Escape From the Death Star (including Luke and Vader action figures)
Star Wars Monopoly (limited and trilogy editions)

Episode I brought about a few new offerings, such as the Clash of the Lightsabers Card Game (with pewter figurines), a Jar Jar Board Game, and possibly one other (memory slips from time to time) ;). Episode II brought about a slew of new SW games, including Epic Duels and SW versions of Stratego and Life.

Most recent is the Original Trilogy Collection version of SW Monopoly.

Also of note are the few Star Wars Chess offerings. Oldest is the prized Danbury Mint pewter chess set, but newer offerings include affordable international Classic and Prequel chess sets with attractive plastic pieces.

This list is far from all-encompassing, and is simply meant to be an introduction to one of the many branches of SW collectibles. If you see any errors, please let me know. Have comments or something to add, speak up. :)

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I also have Trivial Pursuit Star Wars Classic Trilogy Collectors Edition. I think there was an Ep I edition too. Unless it was a dream. ;)

JediSearch

S.C.A.L.P. Special Ops
I also have the Trivial Pursuit, in addition to Star Wars version of LIFE, Monopoly, and the game that was modeled after Stratego. I like the Monopoly game. A friend of mine found it open but in fantastic condition at a thrift shop, So I have been able to play the game without the guilt of opening it. :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
DOH! I typed up a message, previewed it and then closed the window without submitting it. :banghead: Let's try that again.

There is a version of Trivial Pursuit for both the Original Trilogy and Episode I, and they can be fitted together to provide a longer game with more questions.

There's also an Episode I version of Monopoly (in fact there's a version of Monopoly for just about any franchise you can think of), plus the PC computer version of Star Wars Monopoly.

Another couple of games no mentioned are the Star Wars version of Electronic Battleship and various versions of Star Wars Chess (both electronic and normal).

And as darthskelington says, there's almost definitely a pile more not mentioned yet. :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yep, after posting I walked into the living room and saw my Trivial Pursuit game sitting in the pile with all the others. I thought to myself, 'That's the first one I'm gonna get called on.' :) I'd forgotten about the E1 Monopoly and the Battleship game.

Do you own the E1 Trivial Pursuit Buzz? I seem to recall it was rather difficult to find, both in stores and online. Was it in a round box, or have a round board?

Anyway, here come a few pics. I was gonna post them last night with the post, but a thunderstorm came in and somehow I lost my connection to the server. So, without further ado, here are the four vintage games I own. :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Vintage Escape From Death Star

Here's the vintage Escape From Death Star, the first SW game I owned. I don't think I ever played it much, though. As an only child, I tended not to play board games by myself. :D

Attachments

• vintage efds a.jpg
    vintage efds a.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 357
  • vintage efds b.jpg
    vintage efds b.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 337
  • vintage efds c.jpg
    vintage efds c.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 328
  • vintage efds d.jpg
    vintage efds d.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 349

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yoda the Jedi Master

Here's Yoda the Jedi Master, in which players take on the role of luke and must complete their training.

Attachments

• vintage yoda a.jpg
    vintage yoda a.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 332
  • vintage yoda b.jpg
    vintage yoda b.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 333
  • vintage yoda c.jpg
    vintage yoda c.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 307

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Battle at Sarlacc's Pit

The Battle at Sarlacc's Pit game is quite unique. Its three-dimentsional game board and sail barge was the doom of many an action figure. IMO, to this day no better Sarlacc pit toy or playset exists. This is a favorite of mine because of the wonderful artwork that adorns the box top and interior sides.

Unfortunately, my box received water damage and has warped, which shows in the pictures. Not to mention I distorted the jpeg a little to make it square. :p While the box looks great, the plastic figures that came with it are extremely cheap and look absolutely horrible.

Attachments

• vintage sarlacc a.jpg
    vintage sarlacc a.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 356
  • vintage sarlacc b.jpg
    vintage sarlacc b.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 568
  • vintage sarlacc c.jpg
    vintage sarlacc c.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 380
  • vintage sarlacc d.jpg
    vintage sarlacc d.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 389

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Wicket the Ewok

Here's the Wicket the Ewok Food Gathering Adventure game. Players race to collect different food items from around the forest.

Attachments

• vintage wicket a.jpg
    vintage wicket a.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 329
  • vintage wicket b.jpg
    vintage wicket b.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 330
  • vintage wicket c.jpg
    vintage wicket c.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 319

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Re: Wicket the Ewok

I may post a few pics of newer games as time allows. I figured the vintage ones would be of broadest interest to readers.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
darthskelington said:
Do you own the E1 Trivial Pursuit Buzz? I seem to recall it was rather difficult to find, both in stores and online. Was it in a round box, or have a round board?
Yep, I've got the Episode I Trivial Pursuit, but I haven't got the Original Trilogy version though. I got it from a NZ auction website - I can't remember what I paid for it, but it wouldn't have been that expensive. It comes in a gold/bronze coloured square box and is a round board. I haven't got a camera, but I could try scanning it if you really want an picture of it.

I've got the Monopoly sets around the other way - I've got the Original Trilogy version, but not the Episode I version.

I'll sell you the Episode I Trivial Pursuit and seeing as there's so many around it'll be a nice fair price ... a bargin at only US$15million, plus shipping of course. ;)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Star Wars Monopoly

Here are pics of the first two Monopoly games. The first one was Limited Edition, and I beleive the game board was numbered. I think they were so limited that every SW collector inthe world could only own 2 or 3 ;)

The Limited version featured 8 pewter pieces by Rawcliffe (makers of the larger SW Pewter line), as well as 5 brass Imperial coins.

The Trilogy edition featured a new game board, different colored houses/hotels, and 9 pewter pieces. Only Boba Fett, Han, and the Stormtrooper are common to both games.

As a side note, the computer game version came with 3 small Star Wars coins (credits) and a Sebastian Shaw-style Anakin Skywalker pewter figurine (to scale with Rawcliffe's regular SW line).

Attachments

• SW Monopoly a.jpg
    SW Monopoly a.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 369
  • SW Monopoly b.jpg
    SW Monopoly b.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 355
  • SW Monopoly c.jpg
    SW Monopoly c.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 336
  • SW Monopoly d - Ltd Edition.jpg
    SW Monopoly d - Ltd Edition.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 370
  • SW Monopoly e - Classic Trilogy.jpg
    SW Monopoly e - Classic Trilogy.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 695

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Misc. Games

Here are a couple of pics of the POTF2 Escape From the Death Star Game.

It came with two exclusive action figures: Trash Compactor Luke and Darth Vader with removable cowl. Luke was the same as Stormtrooper Luke, but featured sewer-water slicked hair, and Dianoga suction cup marks on his chest armor. Unfortunately, the figure was movie accurate and came with no helmet. If you own Death Star Trooper accessory set though, you now have one. Vader was the same as Removable Helmet Vader, except this version only featured a removable cowl--the mask stayed on. Also included was a weapons pack with a couple of blasters, and three lightsabers: Red, Blue, and Green--all featuring black handles.

In the next picture are more games, including SW Trivial Pursuit, Clash of the Lightsabers (with pewter Qui-Gon and Darth Maul), and the Wizards of the Coast 'Invasion of Theed' RPG (which came with the exclusive Rorworr action figure).

Attachments

• POTF2 EFTDS a.jpg
    POTF2 EFTDS a.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 329
  • POTF2 EFTDS b.jpg
    POTF2 EFTDS b.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 350
  • SW misc games.jpg
    SW misc games.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 330