Salo Gardner

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
As some may know, i've been doing a lot of research on the Cantina characters. I see that there are a number of connections between Salo Gardner and Trinto Duaba. Just on TBS there are a number of threads that mention this. It may be old, but i see a site for an agency that claims he played Trinto Duaba and it looks like he signs at conventions as Trinto Duaba.

I have no doubt that Salo Gardner was part of the cantina scene and i would suggest that he was one of the actors labeled as "Local Ugly Man".

I highy doubt that that he played Trinto Duaba. Trinto Duaba was one of the aliens that was added later in California and Salo Gardner was part of the London group.

This seems like something that would have already been pointed out, so am i missing something? does anyone have anything that would help clear this up?

even wookieepedia has a short page for him that says he played Trinto Duaba
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Salo_Gardner

Later in life, Salo Gardner did start to resemble Trinto Duaba but Trinto Duaba was a mask and anyone could have been under it. Here's a image to help refresh memories...
temp.jpg

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Nothing to add here either....although he is the spitting image of the character now. My only thought though is that even 35 years ago, he would have had the same facial structure. It is possible....although not necessarily likely for an "extra" character like Trinto.....that the mask was cast to a mold of his face. ie...it was custom made to fit him. I dunno. To my knowlege he hasn't signed in the US. Good info on the European actors that don't travel is sketchy at best.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Well, I buy that he was part of the cantina scene that was filmed in England. I can't see that he was brought over to California to wear a mask to film a few close-ups to spice up the scene. It just seems so unlikely that I can't believe convention promoters have him signing as that character and/or anyone wants his signature on that character.... I thought that maybe I was missing something. I'll talk about this some in my new cantina guide, but at the moment the more likely man behind that mask is Phil Tippett.