New Recruit
<center>
sponsor.fed.jpg
</center>
<CENTER>SAGA'S LATEST COUPLE
DETAILED PICTURES AND REVIEW
</CENTER>

<CENTER> By Ishi Tib</CENTER>

Showing up now at most retailers throughout our nation are two new sculpts of two well known characters. From Episode One sculpt number 15 of Darth Maul, makes his first appearance with the Saga line and it is by far a better figure all around, than its previous 14 incarnations. Joining the Sith Lord is Anakin Sywalker from EP II which sees its fourth production into plastic. Packed with a few Tusken Raider accessories, the set recreates Anakin's attack toward the savages, hence the name "Tatooine Attack"

Let's kick things off, sort of speak, with Anakin Skywalker, a sculpt with a big disappointing feature...

<CENTER>ANAKIN SYWALKER
TATOOINE ATTACK
</CENTER>

Well, the main feature of this sculpt, his kicking action has very little functionality. The way the feature works is by holding the figure at the torso, pressing the legs together and pushing on the button on his back; the legs will then spring apart recreating a "Jedi Power Kick." But if actually a Jedi kick would be this lame, I don't think it would had been part of a Jedi defense mechanism nor used at a time of fight. The reason being is that the leg kicks only as high as below knee level and with very little power.

My recommendation, find a stand for this figure; peg his left leg unto the stand and tilt his body a little over it so the right leg remains up in the air. By doing this you can have him posed in a kicking stance. Without the stand the figure displays with his legs quite apart. On the good side, the spreading of the legs give the figure a secure pose; he will not fall down on you.

<CENTER>LIKENESS/ARTICULATION/FEATURES/ACCESSORIES</CENTER>

Now that we have looked at the negative side of things, let's take a look at some positive aspects dealing with the sculpt.

As far as the likeness is concerned, the figure still remains far from looking like the actor, though, this one offers more detail on the hair and the braid flares off, simulating the attack. His face is also less pale than previous sculpts and offers a mean looking expression, even showing his teeth.

The overall sculpt of the character is good. The figure remains slender and his outfit has been well painted and detailed, down to the dirt on his boots. Underneath the flared out lower part of his tunics, there is the inclusion of a "soft goods" skirt. I particularly don't really care for cloth outfits but in this case it serves its purpose well, which is to allow for the "kicking leg" to go up with ease. The cloth skirt wraps entirely around the waistline and has been well proportioned, not detracting from the figure. I wish Hasbro would had done something like this with Obi-Wan pilot, certainly it would had helped him fit in the Starfighter's cockpit a lot better.

Tattoine Attack Anakin has been articulated at the neck, shoulders, elbows and wrists. There is limited movement at the hips, more of a swivel in the legs as they are connected to the kicking feature and therefore will not move around much. Also his left knee has been articulated

There are two features included with the figure. The first, which we already dug into it, is his "Jedi Power Kick"; the second one is the more common one "force attract" feature which allows for Anakin's left hand to pick up his lightsaber with the use of the magnet embedded in his palm BUT not disguised. The magnet, up to this moment, has been left unpainted and clearly shows as a big silver dot.

Worth noting is the fact that this is the first Anakin with a metal saber hilt and also, if the arms get raised (chest level) and positioned properly, they will allow for a lightsaber double grip stance.

The accessories are a good deal. A lightsaber (like you didn't know that), a Tusken rifle, a Gaffi stick and a weapon rack which is composed of three parts: a basket and two pair of legs which collide easily once Anakin does his "impressive" kicking action.

<CENTER>FIGURE INFORMATION</CENTER>

NAME OF FIGURE: Akakin Skywalker Tatooine Attack
DIGITS: PN 6108683400
FIGURE NUMBER: 43
ACCESSORIES: Lightsaber, Tusken Raider weapon rack, Rifle, Gaffi stick

<CENTER>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</CENTER>

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
<CENTER>DARTH MAUL
SITH TRAINING
</CENTER>

"Oh no! ... another Darth Maul figure!" , that's what I thought when I heard about the release of this new figure. After being bombarded with 14 sculpts of the character since its appearance three years ago in The Phantom Menace, I sort of felt uninterested and disappointed having to look forward to another figure of the Sith Lord. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way.

To my surprise and as well as this being my very own opinion, this new Maul is by far the best one yet....YET as in .. Will we really have more? Seriously, this time around some good effort has been put into creating the figure which comes packed with two nice accessories and features that truly work.

<CENTER>LIKENESS/ARTICULATION/FEATURES/ACCESSORIES</CENTER>

The likeness on the figure is great; sharp pointy horns, tattoos and face expression have been nicely detailed, with the exception of the lack of a set of painted teeth. This, as far as I can tell, is the only downer the new sculpt has.

As a whole, the figure presents a menacing look. His black outfit highlighted with red borders is the perfect blend with the red lightsaber and black and red color of his head, making the figure stand out with grace. There is also a great amount of detail given to his shiny boots, gloves and inner robe.

Darth Maul presents a great amount of articulation which can be found at his neck, shoulders, left elbow and right forearm, just at the point where the glove meets the arm. He is also articulated al waist level, easily rotating his torso entirely, hips, both knees and boots/feet. This gives us a total of 13 articulating points on this figure!

Sith Training Maul features a couple of wheels on his back...I know, don't be alarmed, these are hardly noticeable as they are painted in the same black dull finish as his outfit and hardly stick out from his back. Presenting ridges around their borders, the thumbwheels allow you to rotate them and recreate some "training action." The left wheel makes Maul's right forearm turn, spinning the lightsaber with a circular motion. The right wheel, when turned, raises and lowers the entire right arm. These two features work without any flaws; try them as much as you like they do their work all the time and do not worry about the lightsaber falling off his hand; a strong magnet within the hand's palm will hold it in place, the hilt is all shiny chromed metal! Last of the features offered with the new sculpt is the ability for Maul to kneel down. As previously mentioned, the articulated knees and boots rotate 180 degrees which in turn allows you to pose Maul kneeling down.

The accessories are just two but they are by all means better than any others given to Maul in the past. As mentioned the lightsaber hilt is all metal and its blades are removable. Finally we have a hilt which does not look bent and a lightsaber with a better straight look from one end of one blade to the other. A Probe Droid with a clear stand becomes the second accessory. The stand offers a wide enough base which allows the droid to remain standing with very little fear of falling over. The droid can be removed from the stand and when compared to the one offered with the EP I Sith Accessory Set, this new version of the droid is far superior

<CENTER>FIGURE INFORMATION</CENTER>

NAME OF FIGURE: Darth Maul Sith Training
DIGITS: PN 6108683300
FIGURE NUMBER: 42
ACCESSORIES: Lightsaber, Pobe Droid

<CENTER>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</CENTER>

Take a look now at the detailed pictures below and feel free to make your own comments. Share your opinions with us; we'd love to hear what you think. Enjoy!

<CENTER>Ishi Tib</CENTER>

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
great pictures!!!!

The head sculpt on Anakin looks better than the other ones. His hair is never as dark as it is supposed to be.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Darth Maul Sith Training 3

Attachments

• attack of the clones wave2835ttttttttt.jpg
    attack of the clones wave2835ttttttttt.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 351

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
I agree with you Coruscantcosta. This was my obsevation when I wrote the review:

"....the lack of a set of painted teeth. This, as far as I can tell, is the only downer the new sculpt has."

It is just painted black. A set of teeth would had made his face a perfect 10

sandtrooperj

Funzo Salesman
Ech, I think the Maul is Pug-fugly!

Sorry Ish,
the sloppy paint job, lack of realism in expression and overspray of the red paint around the horns, not to mention the dead eyes makes this my least favorite Maul to date, with the only example of a worse paint application being the rushed production run of the "Darth Fix it" release of the initial Episode I Final Duel Maul - compare this new one to the MOTDS Maul or some of the others. Why is his chin buried into his chest? The exaggerated tall red forehead? The sculpt itself looks solid of the head, but once again Hasbro wrecked it with paint ops. I'm glad you like it, but this one really left a bad taste in my mouth. I do like the battle stances you created for the pix:)

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
J! Thanks for replying to my post and sharing your opininon with others. In my particular case the two figures I have do not present red overspraying around the horns, but heck, with the rushy style of production Hasbro uses nowadays I truly believe some, as in your case, got to much red on them.

I believe the buried chin deals basically with the main pose they wanted the figure to be displayed in, sort of like "bowing respectfully before his master" so the back of the card reads.

I do agree with you on the lack of realism the face expression has and, as I had mentioned, what bugs me the most is the unpainted teeth.

The reason why I like this figure so much is in fact the playability issue. We never had a Maul before with so mamy articulating points and able to be positioned in so many ways. That did it for me; also the metal hilt finally gives us a lightsaber that actually remains perfectly straight.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. It is great to have a diversity of opininons; yours as well as those of others are well appreciated. Thanks also for your kind words about my pictures