Saga DVD set in 2007??

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The Washington Post Online has posted a long Q&A article with Star Wars DVD producer Van Ling which covers a lot of ground (including multiple questions about George Lucas making further changes), but one of the interesting bits is that he repeatedly mentions 2007 as a possible release of more DVDs.

Alexandria, Va.: Is there any possibility that after the initial release of the DVDs, there'll be a second release a few months down the line with even more goodies included, a la the "Lord of the Rings" DVDs? My husband bought the DVD for the first LOTR movie, only to be royally p---ed when the "special edition" with added scenes came out later that year. He knew better for the second and third movies in that series. I want the "Star Wars" DVDs, but not if there's a better version waiting in the wings.

Van Ling: I don't believe there will be another release of the Star Wars Classic Trilogy for several years, until probably 2007, which is the 30th anniversary. So this is money well spent now.
U Street & 13th (Washington, D.C.): Hi. I just wanted to say that I cannot wait to get my Star Wars Trilogy set in the mail. I ordered it online last week. I have been looking forward to this release ever since I got my first DVD player.

I welcome the changes to the films that Lucas did for the DVD release. I don't understand what the big hubbub is about not including the original theatrical releases on the DVD set.

I can't wait to include the entire set. I am sure that once all six films are available for DVD release ... Lucas may release a whole box set filled with even more special features and even more footage not previously seen. Do you foresee this happening after the final installment ends its theatrical run?

Van Ling: I don't see any new releases before 2007, which is the 30th anniversary of the saga.
Washington, D.C.: Are you aware of any plans to release an "uber" collection of all 6 episodes in the future? Would such a collection be the place where fans can expect to find deleted scenes and other archival stuff not included in this release?

Van Ling: I would definitely expect something like that, probably around 2007. But I still think this current set is worth getting as well, since the content will be different for any future sets.
This is no doubt just his educated guess (one many of us have been saying for a long time) and probably shouldn't be taken as anything more than a rumour at this stage ... we'll have to wait and see. :)

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
I wouldn't be surprised if he ( Lucas) didn't release a 6 boxed set. But more like late 2005, early 2006. Can't see him waiting that long (2007)......

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Nope, those dates are too early.

Think:
  • Xmas 2005 - Episode III DVD
  • Xmas 2006 - Prequel Trilogy Box Set
  • Xmas 2007 - Saga Collector's Box Set
  • Xmas 2008 - TV series season 1 box set
Not only does that fit nicely with a DVD or set each year, it also puts the Saga set nicely into 2007 for the 30th Anniversary. :)

Nightwing

New Recruit
I still think they should have gone the Alien quadrilogy route: Two versions of the film on each disc - the original theatrical and the special edition.director's cut.

remember that Alien was done by fox as well.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Nightwing said:
I still think they should have gone the Alien quadrilogy route: Two versions of the film on each disc - the original theatrical and the special edition.director's cut.

I doubt they would release a DVD set w/ 12 or more discs. That would definately rule, but I just don't see them doing it.

----

If we go with the schedule that Buzz listed in message #3 (which I think is pretty close to what will happen), I plan on getting the E3 dvd, skipping the PT box set and then grabbing the Saga box set.

The only thing that would make me rethink not buying the PT box set would be a lot of really cool special features and/or making Jar Jar and Anakin suck less.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Nightwing said:

You've got three problems with that ever happening:
  • Star Wars isn't "done by Fox" it's done by George Lucas. Fox has next to no say it what happens with Star Wars.
  • The Special Editions aren't really a "director's cut" (or even "special editions"). The new versions of the movies are what George Lucas wants the movies to be and what he originally wanted to do, but could because of time, money and technology.
  • The original original trilogy movies are officially long dead and won't legally be seeing the light of day again (except for those of us with the laserdisc and VHS releases).
Other than that, you can expect to see them ... err, never. :)

aceface

Junior Spy
Nightwing said:

Buzz Bumble said:
Star Wars isn't "done by Fox" it's done by George Lucas. Fox has next to no say it what happens with Star Wars.

Well yes and no. I believe that Lucas only "owns" the sequels. He doesn't own the original Star Wars (aka A New Hope). Fox does.

But money talks. As long as there is a new product to push (or an old product with endlessly reworked scenes, effects, cover art, etc.), Fox will surely go along with any scheme Lucas wants to pursue. After all, it always seems to sell.