Rip Richard Hatch (Apollo In 1970s Battlestar Galactica)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Variety (and others) are reporting that Richard Hatch has died. :(

He played Apollo in the original version of Battlestar Galactica, and appeared in the horrible reboot version, among many other things. He was major a part in the long, long drive to try to get a sequel series to the original Battlestar Galactica made, including writing books and comic books. He also tried to get his own series Magellan made (even making a trailer for it), although that was rather dire.

Richard Hatch, 'Battlestar Galactica' Star, Dies at 71
Richard Hatch, star of the original "Battlestar Galactica" and the Syfy remake, has died, according to published reports. He was 71.

Friends and colleagues broke the news of his death on social media on Tuesday afternoon.

Hatch played Captain Apollo in the original series, which aired from 1978-79, a role that earned him a Golden Globe nomination for best actor in a television series – drama. He played a different character, Tom Zarek, in the 2003 reimagined series. According to a Facebook post for "Axanar," a "Star Trek" fan series that Hatch starred on, the actor was battling pancreatic cancer.

Hatch's acting career started on the soap opera "All My Children" in 1971. He appeared in numerous dramas throughout the years, including "Hawaii Five-O." He also wrote five "Battlestar" novels.

His additional credits include guest roles in a number of '70s and '80s favorites, including "CHiPs," "Fantasy Island," "Dynasty," "Murder She Wrote," "The Love Boat," "T.J. Hooker," "Baywatch," and "MacGyver."

"Battlestar Galactica" executive producer Ronald D. Moore tweeted, "Richard Hatch was a good man, a gracious man, and a consummate professional. His passing is a heavy blow to the entire BSG family."
Richard Hatch was a good man, a gracious man, and a consummate professional. His passing is a heavy blow to the entire BSG family.

— Ronald D. Moore (@RonDMoore) February 7, 2017
Edward J. Olmos, who played Admiral Adama, also tweeted his condolences, "Richard Hatch you made our universe a better place We love you for it. Rest In Peace my friend @SoSayWeAll the Admiral!"
Richard Hatch you made our universe a better place We love you for it. Rest In Peace my friend @SoSayWeAll the Admiral!

— Edward James Olmos (@edwardjolmos) February 7, 2017
Bear McCreary, the composer on the show, wrote: "I share tragic news with a heavy heart. "Richard Hatch is no longer with us. Goodbye Tom Zarek / Apollo #SoSayWeAll"
I share tragic news with a heavy heart. Richard Hatch is no longer with us. Goodbye Tom Zarek / Apollo #SoSayWeAll https://t.co/wmisRxVixe
— Bear McCreary (@bearmccreary) February 7, 2017
"So say we all" is an affirmation in the "Battlestar" community, akin to "amen."

Hatch is survived by a son, Paul.