Original Trilogy DVD packaging?

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Here's a translation of the French website Kamui Web that claims to have images of the packing for the upcoming Original Trilogy DVDs:
Original Trilogy: Pictures of the packaging for the Original Trilogy DVDs?
Maybe ... maybe not ...

A web address that has been doing the rounds on the Internet for several hours has been causing many people to drool in anticipation: www.neuronsyndicate.com

But what is on this site? Just images of DVD packaging. They are designs, amongst other things, for the released recently Alien anthology. And the website prematurely announced the three packaging styles for the upcoming release of the Original Trilogy on DVD!

The three packaging styles are called:
  • The Final Conflict

img40413d808170c.jpg

Jedi vs Dark Side

img40413dd946d80.jpg

The Imperial Collection

img40413dad1d570.jpg

As you can see, the first one is somewhat similar to the previous releases of the Original Trilogy, in particular the packaging of the Special Editions from 1997. However, the other two are completely new, and I think they're great!

But, now we will have to wait and see if they are the real packaing.

EDIT: It seems that the website no longer has the images. Not long after the appearance of these images on their website, Neuron Syndicate had to withdraw them - which perhaps adds some truth to these being real.

Believe it or not. :)

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Look very nice indeed especially the Jedi v Sith ones. Can't wait to see which ones get the nod (if they are what they are)....

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Darth Aussie
Can't wait to see which ones get the nod (if they are what they are)....

I wouldn't be suprised if they ALL got the nod - similar to the AOTC soundtrack cover art.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Originally posted by Borsk
I wouldn't be suprised if they ALL got the nod - similar to the AOTC soundtrack cover art.

Grumble, grumble ... milking cash cow ... have to buy ... grumble, grumble. :mad:

;)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The images are now missing from above because the original Kamuiweb website has removed them. :(

Here's a translation of the supposed reason why:
Removal of the Original Trilogy DVD packaging images - the reason
We have decided to remove the packaging images from our website after a quick phone call with Domenica Masseran, Marketing Director for 20th Century Fox (France). He assures us that this packaging were only test versions and will not be the official ones that will be on-sale from next September. The release of the images information was error at NeuronSyndicate. However, Domenica also told us that the real Original Trilogy DVD packaging should be revealed in the next few weeks with an official press release, including images.

We ask all the sites that "borrowed" the images from Kamuiweb to also remove them. We don't have long to wait before seeing the real packaging, which I'm sure will be as great as these test versions.
Again, believe it or not. :)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I didn't save the images they had on their site, but here's this one

Attachments

• 030104.dvd.jpg
    030104.dvd.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 360

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Packaging is packaging......lets here about additional content!

If these ain't super-packed with extras, after all the time there's been to get them together....grrrrr!

aceface

Junior Spy
Originally posted by Darth Boru
Packaging is packaging......lets here about additional content!

If these ain't super-packed with extras, after all the time there's been to get them together....grrrrr!
I don't think there will be much. From what I understand, this release will be like the Indiana Jones films. That is, 1 disc per film and a 4th disc for the extras.

Looking at http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/ep4.htm there appears to be more than enough extras to justify at least one bonus disc per film. Bonuses that would include:
  • The Making Of Star Wars
  • Trailers
  • TV spots
  • SPFX Empire - The Making Of The Empire Strikes Back
  • Classic Creatures - The Making Of Return Of The Jedi
  • From Star Wars To Jedi - The Making Of A Saga
  • Original Teaser & Release Trailers From All 3 Movies
  • Interviews With George Lucas
  • The Lucasfilm Archive Tour
  • The Star Wars Gallery With Ralph McQuarrie
  • Sound Advice: An Interview With Ben Burtt
  • How Walkers Walk: Stop Motion Workshop Footage - Narrated By Dennis Muren
  • The Flight Through The Asteroids: A Storyboard Comparison
  • The ABC's Of Jedi Effects: An Interview With Dennis Muren
  • Jedi Videomatics: A Moving Storyboard - Narrated By Ken Ralston
  • Lapti Nek: The Music Video From Jabba's Palace
I think there was also a lazerdisc edition that had commentary by Lucas.

It's a shame that a lot of the above won't be appearing on the forth-coming DVD's. As I just wrote in another thread, it's a real missed opportunity.

Despite what you may think of the LORD OF THE RINGS films, the DVD versions (both the theatrical releases and the expanded editions) are incredibly well-thought out packages and have really set the standard about what the DVD format can be.

I'd like to imagine that after Episode III is all said and done, an ultimate edition box set would be released that would contain all of the films in all of their editions (perhaps using seamless branching?) with all the bonus features produced so far. But the more I think about it, the more I suspect that it won't happen.

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
They look like winners to me. I would think they will be very popular and nice to have in any collection.

Leave some room on the old credit card folks.

dustrho

S.C.A.L.P. Wpns Supplier
I love the design on the DVD boxes. I like the one with Vader on the cover the best of the two. Lets just hope the extra DVD footage is as good as the box art.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I think you'll find that they're just opposite sides of the same box - there's only two packaging styles: Gold (Full Screen) or Silver (Widescreen). :)

aceface

Junior Spy
I likethe style (the gold and silver), but don't care much for the cartoony images. I'd rather see images taken from the films themselves. Maybe something like the cover of the Star Wars Chronicles...

TREq

And when I say "cover," I'm actually referring to the black & white striped hardcover that you see throught the "window" of the slipcase.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
I have the Star Wars Chronicles book. It's the best Star Wars resource book ever and one of the true gems in my collection.

I love the DVD Boxes though. I'll be going for the silver one of course, I just want to know what the actual DVD covers look like now.