New animated series: "Star Wars Rebels"

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
A bit of news from ComingSoon.net about someone returning to do a characters voice in the Rebels animated series (and possibly in the Episode VIII movie) ...

Frank Oz to Return as Yoda on Star Wars Rebels
Actor and Muppeteer Frank Oz is beloved by Star Wars fans as the voice of wizened Jedi master Yoda in five of the six films, and though the character was portrayed by Tom Kane in The Clone Wars animated series, TV Guide reports that Star Wars Rebels is going back to the source by having Oz return in upcoming episode Path of the Jedi.

The centuries-old icon, still in exile on Dagobah, will offer advice to Jedi knight Kanan and his new padawan learner Ezra on the remote planet of Lothal in the form of a disembodied voice.

"I felt personally to keep Yoda as this disembodied thing it would confuse the audience less," says executive producer Dave Filoni, who also directed the installment. "I didn't want you to think Yoda could be teleporting from planet to planet. What's great about Frank, by keeping the voice very present and active, you do feel that it's a watchfulness and that he's speaking to you from afar. And I didn't want anyone to think that he had left Dagobah. It was on the outer rim of what we do, but I think we were able to pull it off."

Although there is no confirmation one way or another that Yoda will return as a force ghost for J.J. Abrams' forthcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens, in a September episode of "The Talkhouse" podcast, "Star Wars: Episode VIII" director Rian Johnson was expressly asked by director Terry Gilliam to bring Oz back. Johnson’s reply? "You kidding? How could you not. How could you not!"

"Path of the Jedi" will air Monday, January 5 at 9/8 CT on Disney XD, and will be available on the Watch Disney XD app beginning Monday, December 29.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Star Wars Rebels is the last of the shows starting on newly arrive down here Disney XD on Sky TV.

It's on every weekday night at 10:30pm. So far I've got the pilot movie (reportedly with added Vader scene) and three episodes recorded to watch, and the next three episodes set to record this coming week, then it seems to start repeats (some of which are the pilot movie split into two episodes). Looks like it'll be a bit annoying trying to find out when new episodes are playing.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I watched all the recorded episodes today. The pilot movie did have the extra Vader scene (really just a brief introduction to the Inquisitor character) and the stormtrooper being kicked off the tower by Agent Kallus.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
This series is very good, but I think it would probably have been better as one-hour episodes rather than the half-hour they are.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
The pilot episode aired in Australia last week (again, that's the 4th time), along with the latest episode before the mid season break (Episode number 8). It had the added Darth Vader scene as well as Kallus kicking the Stormtrooper too.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
They repeated the pilot movie on a free-to-air channel again here in New Zealand over the Christmas / New Year period.

I've now seen all the episodes up to and including Empire Day ... it's now a game of "hunt the new episode" with Sky TV's schedule.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Season 2 is starting in mid-June ... in America anyway (no idea when it will start down here in New Zealand).

Star Wars Rebels Season Two Premieres on Disney XD June 20

Ezra, Kanan and the rest of the crew of the Ghost are headed back to the small screen in less than two months. Lucas film has just announced that Star Wars Rebels will air its Season Two premiere at 9:00pm ET/PT on Saturday, June 20! Be prepared for a full hour of Rebels with the extended Season Two premiere, The Siege of Lothal (which was screened for an audience of lucky fans at the recent Star Wars Celebration).

Executive produced by Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Rebels features the voice talents of Freddie Prinze, Jr. (Kanan), Vanessa Marshall (Hera), Tiya Sircar (Sabine), Steve Blum (Zeb), and Taylor Gray (Ezra).

Continuing the epic tradition of the legendary Star Wars saga, Star Wars Rebels unfolds between the events of Star Wars: Episodes III and IV and tells the story of the motley but clever crew of the starship Ghost who together face threatening new villains, encounter colorful adversaries and embark on thrilling adventures. In its second season, Star Wars Rebels will feature recurring appearances by fan-favorite characters including Darth Vader and Ahsoka Tano, with James Earl Jones reprising his iconic role from the films and Ashlecky Eckstein returning to voice the Clone Wars character. Dee Bradley Baker will also return this season as Captain Rex (as well as Gregor and Wolffe).

If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check out the Star Wars Rebels Season Two trailer!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
As well as the announcement of season 2 (above), Lucasfilm / Disney have also made all of season 1 available for online streaming FOR FREE!

Watch Every Episode of Star Wars Rebels Online for Free!

Get ready to head back to a galaxy far, far away! Whether you're already a fan or just about to begin your journey, Disney XD and Lucasfilm, Ltd. have a real treat in store when it comes to their hit series, Star Wars Rebels. Every first season episode of the show is now available to stream for free via StarWars.com, including the 45-minute premiere, Spark of Rebellion.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
According to rumours floating around various internet websites, Disney+ is developing a sequel animated series to Rebels to be released towards the end of 2020.

"So what we’ve heard is that the Star Wars Rebels sequel show is in development, it is gonna be animated, it is set for 2020 – this year – yeah, and so that’s pretty exciting. That’s almost a given, too… In a development process, that’s natural for it to come now – Resistance is winding down this year. The show will star Ahsoka and Sabine – again, another given, but we’ve got confirmation of that – and we’ve heard throughout the months that Dave Filoni is also attached to an animated series. We’re assuming it’s this one… It’s a good to bring that show back. Obviously, it’s not going to be called Star Wars Rebels, we have no idea what it’s gonna be called… I’m excited because this continues the story of Ahsoka, and we’ll get to see what she’s doing. We haven’t heard about Ezra and Thrawn, but I’m assuming that they’d be in this series… I did hear that the animation is supposed to be a lot tighter than it was for Rebels [in its] four-season run… They’re probably into Season 2 by this point.”

StarWarsNetNews.com: Rumor: Animated sequel series to 'Star Wars Rebels' arriving this year