Mos Eisley Cantina Character Guide

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Somebody obviously has far too much spare time. ;)

That's a great plan of the Cantina, but it's missing the Band ... unless they're in a back room getting ready. :)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Somebody obviously has far too much spare time
I didn't originally intend to do all of that, it just kept growing. I still didn't do all the things i would like to do, but i'm tired of working on it for now. I'll try and come back to it and finish some of the things that i left dangling.

That's a great plan of the Cantina, but it's missing the Band ... unless they're in a back room getting ready
There will probably be more to come with how i came up with that map but that a long story for another time. It's interesting to look at the different floor plans that people have come up with over the years to accomidate that things that are seen in the movie... inside and outside the cantina.

As for the band, after spending so much time identifying them, i just briefly spoke of their location. They are actually "Group J" and part of the Hollywood aliens.
I have already gone through the band, but they should be part of this list. There is nothing in the film to indicate their location. Every map that I have ever seen that gives the band a location, places them in booth #5, so we'll go with that.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I've noticed that most (if not all) Cantina plans put the band in a booth / side room. That always struck me as a little silly - it would make more sense for a band to be in a place where they can be seen, but few of the plans have enough room for any sort of stage area.

You have done a great job with the Cantina patrons, that's for sure ... when are you moving on to all the other characters around the rest of Mos Eisley? ;)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I probably should have made a better distinction between the characters filmed in London and the ones film in Hollywood, in the list... maybe in an update.

as for the rest of mos eisley, probably never. It might not be that difficult though, since its a lot of the same people and costumes. If i were to do another list or guide, i would probably like to do Jabba's palace.

Something i learned doing this is that Peter Diamond is in the cantina. He's (Garouf Lafoe) standing at the bar when Ben and Luke go over to meet Han. That probably shouldn't be that surprising, but from what i understand, his part was a bit bigger in the original cut. After witnessing Obi-Wan cutting off arms, he runs out to tell the Sandtroopers. They cut the part where he leaves the cantina but when the film cuts to 3po and R2 outside, you see him standing there talking to the sandtroopers. I never put that together before.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Awww... I was hoping you'd name the characters and actors for all the troopers and guards in the "welcome the Emperor" scenes on the second Death Star. ;)
(Most of them are of course just a painted backdrop FX shot, but they'd still have names, or at least numbers.)

I looked up that "talk to the Stormtroopers" scene in the novelisation, but it just say an "untidy human".

AdmiralSkram

Junior Spy
Great work! I have been planning some custom action figures and the work you've done here is invaluable. I stumbled across this behind the scenes image recently; it's the best image I've ever seen of (what appears to be) Gotal #2 a.k.a. High Tundra.
lucas+and+maria+de+aragon.jpg

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Great work! I have been planning some custom action figures and the work you've done here is invaluable. I stumbled across this behind the scenes image recently; it's the best image I've ever seen of (what appears to be) Gotal #2 a.k.a. High Tundra.
lucas+and+maria+de+aragon.jpg
Since i made this guide, i have been collecting as much info and as many images as i can and i hope to return with a new and improved guide. If you are looking for images of the Gotal, you might like these ...
Untitled-2 copy.jpg CFQ3.jpg Untitled-1 copy.jpg 003.jpg TMOSW p254 img1.jpg

AdmiralSkram

Junior Spy
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing these; looking forward to your new and improved guide. Here is another image I happened upon recently; pretty good image of the 'unidentified man with pig-nose' or 'local farmer' just behind Chewbacca.
mos+eisley+cantina.jpg