Mos Eisley Cantina Character Guide

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
The rest of the list are "Unknown" characters. I have no doubt that some of these are legitimate but I also have no doubt that some are characters that we have already identified or possibly duplicated. There is just not enough visual information to make any educated guesses.

001 Unknown thumb.jpg 003 Unknown.jpg
Character: Unknown #01
Alias: NA
Race: Unknown
Actor: NA
Source: NA
Notes: NA
Figure: NA

Character: Unknown #02

Character: Unknown #03

Character: Unknown #04

Character: Unknown #05

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Character: Unknown #06

Character: Unknown #07

Character: Unknown #08

Character: Unknown #09

001 Local Ugly Man # 1 thumb.jpg 003 Local Ugly Man # 1.jpg
Character: Unknown #10
Alias: Local Ugly Man # 1
Race: Human
Notes: I don't think I can spot him in the actual movie.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
001 Bureaucrat #2 thumb.jpg 003 Bureaucrat #2.jpg
Character: Unknown #11
Alias: Bureaucrat #2
Notes: This might be Gela Yeens.

Character: Unknown #12
Actor: Left side of the bar

Character: Unknown #13

Character: Unknown #14

001 Unknown thumb.jpg003 Unknown.jpg
Character: Unknown #15

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Character: Unknown #16

Character: Unknown #17

Character: Unknown #18
Race: Gotal
Actor: Booth #3
Source: This shows a Gotal

001 Eyvind thumb.jpg 003 Eyvind.jpg
Character: Unknown Patron
Alias: Eyvind*
Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eyvind
Notes: This is the back of Gela not Eyvind

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
insider.jpg
So, how did we arrive at some of these conclusion?
This image rules all and we can get a lot of information from it. The Snivvians, the Lutrillians and the Nimbanels have caused a lot of confusion as to which is which. Most people like to distinguish the Lutrillians by the ascot but that is difficult to pick up in the cantina. As with the other two sets, they have different hair. Atheloe is bald up top, Zutton has some big time hair problems and the Nimbanels have very different hair color.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
henchman1.jpg
henchman2.jpg henchman3.jpg
This scene tells us a lot. There are 6 henchmen. We know the names of two of them. We know names for the Rodians but I don't know which name goes with which Rodian. We know that #2 is Boelo and #5 is Gela. We do not know the name of #4, but we do know that 2, 4 and 5 are in the cantina scene. I say that it is safe to assume that the Rodians are also in the cantina scene as well. This means there are at least 3 Rodians in the cantina.

003 Greedo.jpg 003 Neesh.jpg 003  thuku.jpg 003  thuku.jpg 003 Davelynn Schmee.jpg 003 Gela Yeens.jpg 003 Boelo.jpg
The Rodians are tough. I'm suggesting that there are four in the cantina. The fourth is difficult to make out. You will need to be looking for him while the movie is playing. As Wuher is yelling at Luke and Luke starts to move towards Ben, you can see into booth #7. He is on the right side and appears to be sitting down. The third Rodian is in booth #6, the second is in booth #2 and the first is in booth #5. I have seen it suggested the first rodian is Greedo and i'm ok with that. I have not seen anything places Greedo anywhere until he confronts Han. The rodian that we can safely say is not Greedo, is rodian #2. Rodian #2 does not wear a vest. There is one other point where you see a rodian and that is when Wuher points over to Han's booth. This could be Greedo moving over to confront Han.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
greedo1.jpg greedo2.jpg greedo3.jpg greedo6.jpg greedo4.jpg greedo5.jpg greedo7.jpg
This really affects nothing, but it's interesting to note... There are three different Greedos in the confrontation sequence. Paul Blake in the non-animated mask filmed in London. Maria De Aragon was in the mask that was animated and used for close-ups, which was filmed in Hollywood. The third Greedo is a dummy which explodes when Han shoots him and filmed in London.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
The Band 6.jpg
The Band seems like it should be a simple one to figure out. As seen in the image above, you can count 7 band members and pretty much anything you see that lists the band members, list 7 members ...

Figrin D'an - Kloo Horn
Nalan Cheel -Bandfill
Tedn Dahai - Fanfar
Doikk Na'ts - Doremian Beshniquel (or Fizz)
Ickabel G'ont - Fanfar
Tech Mo'r - Ommni Box
Lirin Car'n - Kloo Horn (Backup)

So, it would seem pretty easy to match those up, except for everyone says that the below image is Lirin Car'n.
Lirin Car'n3.jpg
Which means that he's not playing in the band if he hanging out with Djas Puhr. So, who is the seventh band members if it's not Lirin Car'n? I struggled with this one for a while until Buzz found a new list from the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia (Dorling Kindersley, 2011). It lists Sun'il Ei'de on the Drums. I can find very little info on this guy. It seems that he might be the drummer from the Holiday Special. I don't know that this is what we should call the seventh band member, but for lack of something better, it fits.

Below are a few images of the band ...
The Band 3.jpg
The Band 4.jpgThe Band 5.jpg

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Spacemen.jpg
003 Danz Borin.jpg003 Spaceman # 2.jpg003 Spaceman # 3.jpg003 Spaceman # 4.jpg
I also struggled with the spacemen. I could see that people were listing four of them, but I could never see four of them together. Some people were calling Danz Borin Spaceman #1 and either Spacemen #3 or Spaceman #4. His helmet does look a bit different depending on the lighting. Another problem is that it appears that Spaceman #3 and #4 are wearing the same spacesuit, which makes it confusing when you're trying to pick them out. You could argue which one is which. One does appear to be a little taller.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Below are some various images that use to help place the different characters.
001group.jpg 002group.jpg 003group.jpg 004group.jpg 005group.jpg 006group.jpg 007group.jpg 011group.jpg 012group.jpg 013group.jpg

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
map locations.jpg
Here is how I have the patrons placed within the cantina. This does not include the aliens that were added later, we'll go over those next.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
group02.jpg
group01.jpggroup03.jpg
The original cantina sequence was filmed at Elstree Studios in London. Lucas felt like it needed to be jazzed up a bit and filmed more aliens with a couple of small set pieces at Hollywood Center Studios. When the special edition of Star Wars came around, Lucas added a couple more aliens.

Here we will deal with the aliens that were added to the original sequence. Since they were not part of the original shoot, they can not be located within the cantina. The way the film is edited, does suggest some locations and we'll also look at that as well.

I have already gone through the band, but they should be part of this list. There is nothing in the film to indicate their location. Every map that I have ever seen that gives the band a location, places them in booth #5, so we'll go with that.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
groupA1.jpg groupA3.jpg groupA2.jpg 003 Arleil Schous.jpg 003 Bom Vimdin.jpg 003 Hem Dazon.jpg 003 Brainiac.jpg 003 Unidentified mustachioed individual.jpg
Group A
This is the first group you see and it consists of Arleil Schous, Bom Vimdin, Hem Dazon, Pons Limbic and the Unidentified mustachioed individual. Since they are shown first, it makes me want to put them up front and I would probably go with booth #1, but there is nothing in the film to suggest their location.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
groupB1.jpg groupB2.jpg 003 Djas Puhr.jpg 003 Lirin-carn.jpg 003 Muftak.jpg 003 Myo.jpg
Group B
This group consists of Djas Puhr, Lirin Car'n, Muftak and Myo. You might try and interpret the direction that Myo looks when Han shoots Greedo but that would be the only indicator.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
groupC1.jpg groupC2.jpg 003 Elis Helrot.jpg 003 Feltipern Trevagg.jpg 003 M'iiyoom Onith.jpg
Group C
Elis Helrot, Feltipern Trevagg and M'iiyoom Onith make up this group. There is something that might suggest their location. During the close-ups of Greedo talking to Han, you can see what appears to be a gotal walk from the bar into booth #3. There is more than one gotal, so it might not be Feltipern Trevagg.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
groupD1.jpg 003 Melas.jpg
Group D
Melas ... This isn't much of a group and there nothing to suggest a location.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
groupE1.jpg groupE2.jpg 003 Chachi De Maal2 aka Baniss Keeg.jpg 003 Ellors Madak.jpg
Group E
This group contains Chachi De Maal and Ohwun De Maal. In the background behind the close-ups of Greedo speaking with Han, there are two figures sitting at a table in what looks like booth #4. One of the appears to be a duros.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
groupF1.jpg groupF2.jpg 003 Dice Ibegon.jpg 003 Kardue'sai'Malloc.jpg 003 Ketwol.jpg 003 Lak Sivrak.jpg
Group F
This groups consists of Dice Ibegon, Kardue'sai'Malloc, Ketwol and Lak Sivrak, but not all at the same time. Ketwol replaced Lak Sivrak in the special edition. While Luke as at the bar, he looks almost directly behind him and the film cuts to this group. That would place them in booth #6.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
groupG1.jpg 003 gotal.jpg 003 Momaw Nadon.jpg 003 Trinto Duaba.jpg
Group G
The last group contains Gotal #2, Momaw Nadon and Trinto Duaba. If you go by the way the film is edited, they would appear to be in booth #7. While Luke as at the bar, he looks to his left in the direction of booth #7. If you go back to the gotal that passes behind Greedo in his close-up shots, they could be in booth #3.