Millenium Falcon Question

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Anybody got a picture of an original Jedi training remote from the original Falcon vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I've got the Remote here, but I haven't got a camera (digital or normal) - I'll try scanning it and upload the result later. :)

The Remote itself is simply a small black plastic bead with a hole drilled through it - you can probably get one from any sewing or arts 'n' crafts shop.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
That'd be great Buzz. I recently came into possession of a vintage falcon and it seems to be complete. I was just wondering about the remote. The one I have does look like a bead from a darning set.

Barada

Saboteur
The ball should resemble a disco ball - instead of being perfectly round, it'll be a series of small flat square shapes that fit together to form a sphere.

Barada

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Hey, no teasing. This is serious Star Wars collecting topic. :)

Okely dokely, below are a couple of scans of the Training Remote and arm from the original Kenner 3 3/4" scale Millennium Falcon (UK, but I don't think there's any difference) - it's even the original cotton thread! :D

The 1cm bead is pure black with a hole through it and has a slight mold line around the middle. The white bit in the pictures is just reflection from the scanner light and the messy bit nearest the ruler is just where the drill exited and burred the plastic a little.

This is one side of the arm (top?) which also has a slightly raised area around the hole at the opposite end to the Remote, but it's not showing up on the image. The back other side of the arm is almost the same, except has no raised area around the hole and only has four "bumps" starting from the Remote's end.

Since it's only a black bead, new "Remotes" can easily be obtained from sewing shops, art 'n' crafts shops, or even from the "make your own jewelry" kits you can buy aimed at little girls.

There's no way you'd ever know if a second-hand Remote was an original one or not. I know mine IS original because my Falcon was bought brand new and opened / assembled by me. :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Falcon Remote scan #1

Attachments

• falcon remote 1.jpg
    falcon remote 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 510

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Thanks Buzz, much appreciated.

Looks like the arm in my falcon is the real deal, and possibly the string (its looks old enough!) but the remote definitely isn't (unless Barada wasn't kidding?)

Its like a dodecahedron (or however you spell that). It does actually look like a disco ball, being made up of loads of little hexagonal pieces.

I'll try to get a photo of it to post.

Barada

Saboteur
Mine unfortunately wasn't owned by me as a kid, but I was assured that it was real when I got it. I may have been scammed, but I know that variations existed in the vintage days too. Buzz may have a NZ version (or are you Aussie? I forget :( ).

Anyway, Buzz's pic has me concerned about mine now. I always thought I had the real deal, but now I'm not so sure.

Barada

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I'm in New Zealand (aka the newest state of Australia), but my Falcon came from England, so perhaps it's a European version and the US version is different.

BUT, there are at least four official versions of the 3 3/4" Falcon, three of which are "Vintage".
I threw out the box and instructions when I was little (and stupid), so I'm not 100% sure which mine is, but it's defintely NOT the PotF2 version.

These images of the instruction sheet at 12Back.com do seem to indicate a non-spherical Remote, but again we don't know which version of the three these are from - possibly even each is from a different release.

falcon-inst1.gif

falcon-inst3.gif

falcon-inst4.gif

Barada

Saboteur
Yeah, Buzz, I never even thought that the remote may vary from one release to the next also. It could have been a running change somewhere along the line from its SW release to its Jedi release.

Since you posted the instruction sheets, I thought it was interesting that their pics of figures looked alot more realistic than what they actually made. Check out the likeness on that Chewbacca!

Barada

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Rats! I meant to add that the Instruction Sheet images weren't exactly photos of the real thing, so they could have a lot of "artistic license" in there too.

What colour is your polyhedral Remote?? I have found a few other images that show the remote, but it's only small so all you really see is a black blob and can't tell if it's spherical or polyhedral. :(

Nightwing

New Recruit
my remote0- which was from England- was just like barada described, and if I remember correctly, was a purple, blueish colour

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I asked about the Falcon's training remote in the Usenet Newsgroup for vintage Star Wars toys a couple of days ago, but so far the only replies have been two people with the "disco ball" version.

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
I have a good digital picture of the Training Remote Ball hanging in my Millenium Falcon. I got the ship for Christmas when it first came out in 1978 when I was 11, so it is definatley original. (Got it in Michigan...black disco ball) I tried to post the pic, but it says "file too large" (I guess my camera is a little too good) If anyone can tell me how to reduce file size so that I can post it, let me know. p.s. this is my first post...Hi all.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy it here.

There's some good software out there in shareware land that could help out. Paint Shop Pro comes to mind immediately. You can open the picture, crop it to lose the background and then save it at lower quality for a smaller file.

Hope this is of some use :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Stevetrooper said:
I have a good digital picture of the Training Remote Ball hanging in my Millenium Falcon. I got the ship for Christmas when it first came out in 1978 when I was 11, so it is definatley original. (Got it in Michigan...black disco ball) I tried to post the pic, but it says "file too large" (I guess my camera is a little too good) If anyone can tell me how to reduce file size so that I can post it, let me know. p.s. this is my first post...Hi all.
There's actually 2 ways to get your image in a post. You can link to it or you can upload it.

If you upload it, there are a few restrictions on how large the file can be (have to draw the line somewhere). To reduce the size, you'll need to use an image editing program. There are many to choose from and your computer may have come with one pre-installed.

If you want to upload it to your own web space (personal site, whatever) and link to it, you can have an image of any size.

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
I have Microsoft paint 5.1 with my Windows XP. There's really not much to crop. I could print it and then scan it again to send it, but I don't know how clear it would be then. (not that Darth Boru still needs the pic...i'm sure he's cleared up that question by now. But it's still good to know for future use.)