Midnight Madness

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
So, anyone hit the stores at midnight? were you able to get one of each?

From what i saw the only figure that semi-hard to get was #32 Aayla Secura (at least for those who were not willing to push our way ahead of everyone else).

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
one thing that i found quite irritating was that the walmarts in my area were not going to open the tent area until 8am the next morning. this meant that the Early Bird Exclusive was not available. other than that, the walmart people were quite helpful, although the only people in the store were all in the toy aisle.

walmart is calling this thing "48 hours of the force" but if they are only going to have the tent open during the day, they're not really going for a true 48, IMO. we also have daylight savings this weekend, so they'll lose another hour along the way.

Yoda Man

New Recruit
I over slept and din't go until 1:30, so I could only hit one TRU. I'm too tired to go shopping this morning, but very soon. I'm still missing 11 figures, though. If I'm correct, figures 33-40 werent available yet, so I didn't count those. I need:
3 Yoda
6 Clone Trooper
8 Grievous Bodyguard
9 Grievous
10 Mace Windu
12 Emporer Palpatine
23 Red Royal Guard
29 Ki Adi Mundi
30 Saesee Tiin
31 Luminara Unduli
32 Aayla Secura

I'm trying to collect them all by the end of today, so time to go shopping.

Alf

Agent
I went to the tent sale at the Auburn, NY Walmart around 9:30am. I braved the pouring rain to do a favor for Wookiee Cookiee.

They had free samples of the food promotions: Kudos bars, Mpire M&M's. cereal, Cheetos that turns colors. Free Action figures (you could take an extra one for a friend). The associate working said I could take one of each if i asked,but i didn't want to be greedy. T-shirts for sale, Legos, light sabers, Vader voice changers, Playskool figures, etc. Had Ep 2 playing on a tv. Inside the SuperWalmart they had a few toys but empty spaces in several spots.

But no Darth Tater :(

Attachments

• SW0001.jpg
    SW0001.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 367
  • SW0002.jpg
    SW0002.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 361
  • SW0003.jpg
    SW0003.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 376
  • SW0004.jpg
    SW0004.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 377

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Alf said:
I went to the tent sale at the Auburn, NY Walmart around 9:30am. I braved the pouring rain to do a favor for Wookiee Cookiee.

They had free samples of the food promotions: Kudos bars, Mpire M&M's. cereal, Cheetos that turns colors. Free Action figures (you could take an extra one for a friend).

What kind of free action figures?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
the figure i forgot to mention that appears that no one i have talked to has found was the Red Version of the Senate Guard. anyone out there find him? i went to a local comicon today and i saw one dealer with the red version for $15. i also saw the Lava Vader (which is sold out at every store that i went to) going between $25 and $50.

j@ng0

New Recruit
Visited 4 wal-mart at midnight, found 1 red royal guard..all others blue. Visited Target first thing in the morning, had to battle workers and mangement to get my target darth :fume: Overall, all others were available.
No toy r us exclusive anakin fighter Will continue my quest today.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
The target I went to had a bunch of employees hovering in the star wars section. Just empty pegs for where the darths should be.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
welcome to the site j@ngo.

yeah, the target thing seems to be quite a mess. i have no idea if there is any chance of anymore showing up. the package says they are limited to 50,000. the employees that i talked to thought that was the only shipment of those figures they would be getting.

of the three stores that i went to, one had 18 to be put out, the next had 36 and the 3rd had 48. i was able to get one at the 1st store that was in pretty good shape. i also picked up and extra at the last store. they had one left and it was really smashed. it was like someone had stood it on end and stepped on it. anyway, they sold it to me for the basic figure price since it was so beat up and then i got another $1 with my coupon. i was trying to get one for borsk since his store had sold out before he got there, but i guess he'll have to go without.

we should probably watch target.com to see if any pop up there.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
AmShak said:
the figure i forgot to mention that appears that no one i have talked to has found was the Red Version of the Senate Guard. anyone out there find him? i went to a local comicon today and i saw one dealer with the red version for $15. i also saw the Lava Vader (which is sold out at every store that i went to) going between $25 and $50.
I saw just one Red Guard and he was in the possesion of another collector, and between what we'd both seen that was the only one in wide radius.

Apparently my Target had 5 cases (60figs) of Lava Vader. But that didn't matter because I made the epic trek of 5.3 miles in the rain down to Target at 6 in the morning! What an adventure. I was amazed that there was a few others who were already there camped out in the parking lot. One guy I talked to had hit the local TRU where it was chaos. The line at Target, the backpack represents where I'd be standing:
target.jpg

Now the Target employees wanted nothing to do with us, they left us out there in the rain waiting as time went by. Now keep in mind the store opens at 8am and they were supposed to hand the tickets out at 6:30am, but alas they didn't do it until 7:55am. How typical!
ticket.jpg

So as soon as the doors opened a bunch of us eager to get to the Lava Vader Table briskly walked towards it only to get yelled at by the stupid store manager. One of the other people yelled "Hush, you want my money or not??".

Now Wal-Mart is something "special". My Wal-Mart was truly pathetic. They hadn't done squat! They were the very example of lazyness, uncoordination, and lack of situational awareness. They had only just begun cracking open the pallets at freaking 8:45am and they weren't letting people in the tent!
walmart.jpg

Then after another 20 minutes the manager comes out to tell us they never did get their shipment of the early birds, and that's when the people who were camping it out started getting angry. Why does it seem that stores always put the people out to work these events dislike Star Wars the most?? There were no freebies, and they only stocked wave one outdoors, whereas all the nice ones were inside. :toed:

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I got to Wal-Mart about 9:30 a.m. I couldn't find the sw figs at first but then I found them. I picked up the DVD Trivial Pursuit, the poster calendar and the ROTS calendar and put them on layaway. No Ep III galactic heroes, no Darth Tater at all, no EP III jigsaw puzzles. :crying: I was diappointed. I made Emily drive to the only Wal-Mart in NY having the tent event, luckily it is only about an hour away. They didn't have Darth Tater either, but it they had a lot more than my regular wallyworld did.

We do have some cardboard displays, there is one with Obi-Wan in the Electronics dept, hopefuly I can get it before it goes into the compactor. :love:

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
My experience 12:01 at Wal-Mart went very well. They may have been 10 people there for star wars, about 5 of us looking for complete sets or more that a handful of figures. They kept bringing box after box out to help find find a stpecific figure if needed. I also walked out with a few empty figure boxes to store these odd shapped cards. Wal-Mart had several blue guard figures, I only heard of 1 or 2 red ones that other people got. I picked up the 2 versions of the Anakin Changes to Darth Vader Deluxe figure. Though I thought our Wal-Mart had advertised for the 48 hour event... and even saw it on the web. There was not such luck.

Target this morning had probably 5 Red guard figures (that's were I picked mine up) Plus The Lava Vader and the cup sets. No more for me thanks...I'm done (for a while anyways :) )

No sign of figures over #32.

Yoda Man

New Recruit
My new end of day tally still leaves me looking for:
8 Grievous's Bodyguard
10 Mace Windu
12 Emporer Palpatine
and
23 The ever elusive red royal guard

When I get up tommorow I'm hitting KB. I know they are more expensive, but they are the only places I haven't checked. A guy went there today and told me about it and they had the Windu and Bodyguard. Hopefully I'll be able to get up at opening time and shove my way through.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Yoda Man said:
My new end of day tally still leaves me looking for:
8 Grievous's Bodyguard
10 Mace Windu
12 Emporer Palpatine
and
23 The ever elusive red royal guard.

Where have you checked? I've seen both of these well stocked at a few Targets and a Wal-Mart.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Wow. In the last 38 hours, I've gotten 3 hours sleep. Worked from 12-9pm, the went to a movie to kill time (since I don't live in town), and then made it to Walmart at quarter to midnight. After the event, I went home, finally passed out near 4am, and the got up before 7am to go to work. Weeeeee...........

Walmart was fun. I was the only one there besides the employee, at first. Then a nother collector showed upa couple minutes later, along with girlfriend. The employee chatted with us while she finished putting out the last items. No early birds, not that we had tent or anything. (BTW, you can order them online). She told us about her friend who had just gotten a ROTS yoda tatoo on his shoulder, thouroughly amazed at such a thing. Thanks to the internet,we all know SW tatoos are plentiful ;)

She had mostly put out the early waves, and then realized they were all the same and started digging for more of the later Jedi waves. Red/Blue guards showed up in equal amounts, albeit one per case, either red or blue. (BTW, the new Entertainment Earth catalog lists all the case assortments).

Anyway, about ten minutes after, the friend she mentioned showed up with his wife. Turns out he's a member of the 501st..a stormtrooper. The three of us collectors all chatted about the new stuff, and exchanged info. Turns out, all three of us are going to C3. What are the odds of that? Whats more, Phil, the the 501st member, will be going to the fan club breakfast Sunday morning that I'm going to. And I thought I was the only collector in a 100 mile radius. :p

Had to work all day, but my parents in Oregon snagged me a lava Vader. :D

Only thing I saw in the planogram earlier, but not on the shelves was the new Titanium Series ships.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
apparently the lava vader was available online, HERE, but no longer. we can watch this page to see if anything changes (it does say "Item available in 4-8 weeks")

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
HERE is the TRU page for the Holo Yoda. it currently shows "out of stock" and isn't scheduled to be available until the 10th. when the page first became available, it did show that it was available for purchase for $9.99

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i don't know that i consider this a variation or not, but the earlier (date stamp) cards have the purple tint while the later cards are blue. we saw a bit of this on the saga cards.

also, the deluxe vader/anakin has a bubble variation. one has the vader armor packed down the side of the bubble (in view) while another has it packed on the bottom, behind the insert.