Jedi Knights 'not celibate' says Star Wars creator

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Jedi Knights 'not celibate' says Star Wars creator

Star Wars director George Lucas says Jedi Knights are allowed to have sex, despite their monk-like existence.

He says the light sabre-wielding warriors aren't celibate.

No Jedi Knight has yet been seen with a partner in any of the five Star Wars movies.

But at a press conference to mark the launch of the fifth film Attack Of The Clones, which premiered in London last night, Lucas said: "Jedi Knights aren't celibate - the thing that is forbidden is attachments - and possessive relationships.

Samuel L Jackson, who plays Jedi Mace Windu, said they spent their time meditating "like most men are supposed to do in monk-like situations."

He added: "I actually try and treat my Jedi character like I would imagine most Shaolin monks do, because I watch Hong Kong films a lot.

"I tend to see a correlation between how they meditate and work and train - and when they become men of action, they become men of very definite action.

"All those other things don't become part of the equation, because they lead to the Dark Side."

Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones opens globally tomorrow, when cinemagoers will see a romance begin to blossom between trainee Jedi Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) and Queen Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman).

Story filed: 15:41 Wednesday 15th May 2002
http://www.ananova.com/yournews/story/sm_588484.html

Thanks to spectacular001!